1. Forum membership has its advantages....

how will i know what shox to buy..?

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by Kenshiro, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Kenshiro

Kenshiro Member

Hi..

i`m planning to build an offroad car with modified suspension. my question is how will i know what dampers to put in.

I guess i put a scale under each wheel to find out some data for the shock.

If i take out the original shock and measure where the shock was mounted in both compressed an when fully extracted.

could i choose a bit longer shock and mount it, or should i move upp the upper shock mount to the exact lenght of the new shock..?

I can always move the upper mount for the shock but i dont know if that will help
    the wheel can`t move more because of that..

Tell me what you would do if you where rebuilding a car to an offroader with more wheel travel,, just how you choose what shox to put in,

Hope that makes sense ( Crazy Swede )..

2. CMazzulla

CMazzulla Member

First you should cycle the suspension with the tire on and make sure that you are not going to crash it into anything, then put the tire where you want it at full bump. At this point you can figure your shock mounts and get a collapsed measurement of the shock. Lastly you will work on spring rates for your vehicle to achieve your preferred ride height. I'm not sure on your setup but I hope this helps.

3. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

Saying "offroad car with modified suspension" doesn't help much. Are you building an off-road Volvo 245 DL Wagon or a Saab 900 Turbo???? Tell us more specifics with what you want to build and you will get more helpful answers.

Aloha

4. Kenshiro

Kenshiro Member

5. Random Thoughts Racing

Random Thoughts Racing Well-Known Member

Assuming you need an eye to eye shock and not a strut (If you need struts try a rally forum), figure out what your extended and collapsed length of the damper will need to be, then send the weight of the car and the motion ratio information to the shock manufacturer to get a ballpark valving in your shocks. Select something revalvable so that you can tune it.

6. cosmo

cosmo Super Moderator

Let's not forget springs. Coils,leafs? What length and, rate. Single shock application?

7. Kenshiro

Kenshiro Member