1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Identifying a Saginaw steering box???

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by atomicjoe23, Jun 1, 2012.

1. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

Is there a way to identify a Saginaw steering box from the casting number in the side of the body?

I have a GM Saginaw power steering box, but I don't know what it came out of (it came with the project truck we bought).

I need to rebuild the box, but I want to make sure I get the correct rebuild kit before I spend the money on it.

Here are the numbers on the box. . .7826692 on the top by the cover with a 324 upside next to it. . .5693463 is on the front cover, there is also a small round mark followed by a 4 on the top by the cover as well.

2. Desert68

Desert68 Member

Not a direct answer, but here's some solid info on Saginaw steering boxes:

Go to www.pozziracing.com, then click on First Gen Suspension Info, look down that page under Steering and clink on the Steering Box and Ratio Info link.

The direct link didn't copy/paste correctly for some reason, thus the steps above.

3. gawdodirt

gawdodirt Member

A good rebuild shop can tell you exactly what you have for free. I had called a local guy here in Phx to get an idea on what box I needed for a Ranger project of ours, and he guided me to a Dodge box with a lower ratio, and a better feel on the assist. I thought I wanted a 1 ton Chevy box for strength. The Dodge should be a better choice. Benchwork Steering in SCottsdale 480-946-3992. Really helpfull.
    GD

4. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

I contacted Texas Off-Road since they were the featured shop in a Saginaw box rebuild article in Four Wheeler and they have been very helpful so far. . .they confirmed it was a GM Saginaw box and they have a complete rebuild kit for it.

Thanks!