IS 5/1600 a dieing class

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Motelcambodia, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Motelcambodia

Motelcambodia Member

Am I beating a dead horse? By the time I have my 5/1600 bug done will there even be any one left to race with?

The places I check on getting parts or chassis work I keep getting " why you building a 5/1600 car every one building class 5 now"

Are the tough 5/1600 class restrictions out pricing most people who are trying to build a 5/1600 car?

Would easing up on the motor restrictions make it easer for more to enter this class? Why should some one have to spend $10000 to $12000 to just get 90 HP when you can buy a 100 Hp 2200cc for a few thousand out of any magazine.
    I'm only saying this because of the lack of new 5/1600 being built and racing north of Mexico.
    Just look on this forum and others every one is building class 5 for 1/2 the cost of a 5/1600.

I just don't want to build a 5/1600 and not have any one to race with north of Mexico and have to enter in class 5 .

I like the 5/1600 type of off road Baja and its what I want to build. But will I waste lot of money when this class dies?

Brian
  2. bajaherbie

bajaherbie Active Member

stick an ecotec in it and come race with EDR in the Texas Ecotec Class. last time i checked texas was north of the border a bit.
  3. DailyPedal

DailyPedal Well-Known Member

The class may slow down but I doubt it will completely die off any time soon. The big killer of 5/1600 has been that most wanting to race within that type of budget opt to build 1-2 1600 cars because the fields are larger and there is lower upkeep and simpler to prep without the VW body. Or they step up and build a 10 or 12 car for more, but not a lot more. And a competitive 5 car is an unlimited (class 1-2) car with a few bug body parts screwed on...2-3times as much or more to build than a 5/1600...heck a motor for a competitive 5 car costs more than a complete used 5-1600.
    The state of the economy really hurts the limited classes and 5/1600 is right in the center of the group...
  4. tmathews

tmathews Well-Known Member

Could be the economy..
  5. B-Gereghty

B-Gereghty Member

Keep building your 5-1600 it is a class that come and goes,year to year. If you learn to drive it you will be able to drive almost anything as it is a grat class to teach you driving skills.If you are serious about the desert you will work your way up . Good luck ,
  6. Racbaja

Racbaja Active Member

We have not raced in a year mostly due to the economy. 5/1600 is a great class with a lot of cool people in it. The 5/1600 family is cool with little drama like you find in some other classes. Keep on building the cars will come back.

Ron Plunkett
    Plunkett Racing
  7. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

Motel, 5-16 is far from dying. And influence from the 1 /2-16 class is not the reason car counts are lower. What you are experiencing in northern Baja is back lash against drivers who can short course all the way to Cabo….who wants to race against a guy that by the half-way point is mixing it up with some great 16 drivers???!!! And at the end is 5th OVERALL!!! In a 5-16!!!! I smell un RATO….The small entry numbers that you see in SCORE is not indicative of the number of 5-16’s that are out there(they are just racing in different classes…btw I have heard of a new series starting in Baja Norte started as a reaction to this , waiting for more info)…as soon as the cancer moves on the class will grow….then it will be another class that will say “hang em high!!”. Stick with your plans!! 5-16 is a great class to learn how to drive and will always be legitimate. Or race in MDR or drive….real talent has been know to appear, most notably 5-16 bash at the dash. Don’t lose faith…
  8. bonehead1

bonehead1 Member

with IRC TRACKING now at SCORE the short coursing shouldnt be a problem anymore but we'll see
  9. Tipracer

At SCORE races sure but CODE,RECORD ect. are far from having that ability.
  10. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

I would not say that 5/1600 is dieing, but I would say that you can build a 1600 car for about the same cost and have a faster, much easier car to prep. The only two real differences between a 1600 and a 5/1600 is the chassis and aftermarket peddles. So I think more are choosing to build 1600 cars vs 5/1600. But there are still a lot of current 5/1600 cars racing. Just a few years ago we put the 5/1600 Shootout together at the MDR New Years Eve Dash and there were 30 5/1600 entered. Since then MDR has had good 5/1600 car counts. You can expect at least 15 -20 in the class at the next New Years Dash race.
  11. harleys dad

harleys dad Well-Known Member

I have raced 5/1600 a long time and I can tell you as the owner of 2 1-2 1600 cars there is no way in heck you can build a 1600 for the same money as a 5/1600 no way not even close. going to shops like you are you are going to have more in a aluminum body-dust walls and floor pans than you will in a complete caged vw body and pan-fuel cell seats the list goes on and you have done nothing yet for the frame and the custom fuel cell that needs to be put into a 1600 car. Stay with the 5/1600, you are thousands upon thousand cheaper with the bug. Price a chassis and then everything that goes on one to make the 1600 what it is and you will see. As far as a 10 grand to 12 grand 1600 engine I think somebody is trying to pull the money out of your wallet while laughing behind your back. Go elsewhere. Class 5 yea you could build one, but the money between the top tier and bottom cars in that class will make you faint. I raced 5/1600 when it was the most popular class in the sport, stupid rule changes so some could profit off the classes destruction was the dumbest thing to hit this sport. Before anybody could build a double shocked baja for little money that is why the class use to have 50+ entries and most of those cars while still around the owners wont compete against the newer cars even though the wheelbase is the greatest equalizer which you will find 5/1600 absolutely no faster today than yesteryear even with the big bypass shocks disc brakes and so on but a whole lot more expencive. In my opinion the only thing that needed changing was to power steering as most all who raced 5/1600 were hard working people who struggled the monday after a race with big blisters
  12. Motelcambodia

Motelcambodia Member

OK I'm not going to give up I just did not want to to the only one to show up with a 5/1600 because I had some small set backs with my money and my build will take a little longer .

I think it will be a fun class and I already found out the 5/1600 guys are a good people and very helpful.

I hope soon I will be there racing too.

Brian
  13. harleys dad

You wont regret it, 5/1600 is a lot of fun
  14. B-Gereghty

B-Gereghty Member

as long as you dont get in daves way.or have you learned to play with others.memories lauhline 03-or-04 white bug just starting out.ring a bell
  15. jamoffroad1

jamoffroad1 Member

the hard part about 5-1600 is a new body every time you roll, almost every race.
  16. American Motorsports

American Motorsports New Member

You can find great deals on used 5/1600 cars all day long here in AZ, but as you know it still costs an arm and a leg to build one new. Even though the economy has sucked the life out of our industry, you can still see a fast growing interest in offroad racing in general. Four years ago you would be hard pressed to find an offroad race on t.v. Now you can catch two or three races a month on the old boob tube. Racing will come back, and be stronger than ever. (closed eyes, crossed fingers, and clicking my heals)
  17. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

5/1600 is a great class. You will learn how to drive really quick. MDR Superstition series seems to have the best numbers on this side of the border right now. I raced in SNORE for the last two years and they have really fun courses. Mint 400 this year had some good competition. Motors and transmissions sure got expensive though.
  18. Tipracer

x2 on the learnig curve....once you drive/ride in a 5-16 you will always have a soft spot for the v-dub's
  19. harleys dad

??????
  20. rotkiv001

rotkiv001 Member

dotnt stop building your 5/1600, we have a lot a competition on this class, the best driver's of North Baja are racing the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP last race "PINO SOLO 200" there where
    11 - 10 Entries and it was the First race of the new organization, on JACUME you will get arround 15 - 18, so i think you are not wasting your time / money, just have your car ready
    and start looking for the right place to race it...

and on the last Record Ens - San Felipe there where 7 pro 5/1600 and 15 class 15 (5/1600 Sportman) so many of these drivers are going to step up to the 5/1600 next year...

on the building and fabrication here in Ensenada there are always "NEW" tips and fab styles, just take a look to the new cars or come down for the next Race...

Regards

Victor