1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Is RG's NASCAR days almost over?

Discussion in 'Pavement Racing' started by Cadwell, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Cadwell

Cadwell Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Yahoo news.....
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news...ot8kLov7YF?slug=ap-nascar-daytona500-notebook

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (AP)—In one breath, Robby Gordon is bemoaning the fact that he couldn’t quit NASCAR even if he wanted to. He has money tied up in a race shop and airplanes, with crew members depending on him for their livelihood.

Minutes later, though, Gordon is talking with boundless optimism about the potential of Speed Energy, a brand of energy drink that he’s trying to market on his own.

And does he have a deal for you.

“Race team’s for sale,” Gordon said. “It’s been up for sale. Really, what I’d like to do, I think the smartest thing for us to do as we’re talking candidly here, would be to bring in investors that have more opportunity to (attract) big sponsor relations.

“Obviously, I can drive it, we can run it, but between doing that and operating Speed, we need people that have more relations than I have.”

The 43-year-old Gordon has been a driver-owner in NASCAR since 2005, and the former standout in Indy-style racing has had his moments—including a second-place finish at Infineon Raceway in 2010.

But there are challenges, too.

Does he make money in NASCAR?

“Right now? No,” Gordon said. “We haven’t made money in NASCAR in a long time.”

Would he consider getting out?

“I’ve got a 100,000-square-foot (9,290-square-meter) building,” Gordon said. “Unfortunately, I’ve got airplanes that I can’t even afford to use today that are sitting there, I’m still paying insurance on them, I’m still paying payments. The race shop, it’s not paid for, obviously I’m paying rent on it. So I’m stuck. Plain and simple.”

Gordon later reconsidered his use of the word “stuck,” saying he would prefer to stay in NASCAR on a limited schedule and take on investors.

“The reality is, I don’t want to be all the way out,” Gordon said. “I would like to run about 15 stock car races a year. That would be my goal.”

That would allow him to continue pursuing his diverse racing interests outside of NASCAR—and continue to build Speed Energy, which he insists is on its way to becoming a marketing success that can grow to take on the likes of industry titans such as Red Bull.

2. e_lunatic

e_lunatic Member

robby isn't being honest. i know guys that worked for him and he has said many times, the day this shop stops making me money the doors will close.

3. RGFan

RGFan Well-Known Member

RGM's performance in Nascrap as a whole the past 4 years proves your statement false. Robby has said many things that have not come true while having the best intentions for them to come true. Even with 8 million per year, he will not come remotely close to competing with the 4 and 5 car teams who are bringing in 80-100 million every year. Nobody wants to sponsor a start and park, they want to sponsor contenders, plain and simple. Do you really think for 1 minute the likes of Paul Menard, Ryan Newman, Martin Truex Jr. and 3/4's of the drivers in Nascar are more talented drivers than Robby Gordon? Of course not, but they race for teams who have funding and money to spend on getting their cars and teams better every day. Just the plain simple facts regarding Nascar. While I respect RG for living the dream and doing things his way, starting his own team was career suicide for a driver who wanted to race and be successful in Nascar.

4. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

the one thing robby does better than driving is making bad decisions. no one in the garage area even comes close. not only with his decision to work alone but his race strategy is often flawed as well. he's got lousy people skills on top of that too. free rep points to anyone who can name all of the crew chiefs he's had...

5. randy s

the announcer sure pimped his off road accomplishments during qualifying. of course the guy could have told rg's life story and downed a twelve pack of speed energy drink with as long as it took for rg to do his two laps..

6. NicksTrix

NicksTrix Well-Known Member

why would a buyer invest millions into it and let him run it? it hasn't worked up to now unfortunetly.
    if someone opted to buy, you'd have to think he would end up being a hired driver. yet who wants to hire someone for half a season?
    they aren't drinking it so far rob, keep trying.

7. wheeli

wheeli Funny Guy from the North, eh

Over 19 million up for grabs next sunday,stay out of trouble all day and try and be in the top 20 at the end will pay real good. Just think of all the money RG saved over the winter by not testing,he usually runs good on the plate tracks untill he gets takin out.Even though he dosent run well he is still the reason I watch.

8. Tristar Racing

Tristar Racing Well-Known Member

New aero package, new EFI engines, and the first restrictor plate race for RGM's "engine shop." Yea, not testing was the way to go...

Watching RG fans (not you, just saying in general) make fun of everyone who questions this year's effort on the planet, Facebook, etc is hilarious. Yes, last year he ran possessed at the plate tracks. That was with a car that was designed around a different aero package and was actually optimized in the wind tunnel for that rule set, and had Penske power. I am hoping for the best, but am expecting the worst. Wednesday should provide a clearer picture of what he has this year.

9. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

Robby personally posted on Planet Robby regarding selling the team. He claims the story posted is not exactly what he said. Even Jayski made a Update/Retraction on the article posted on his site, stating that he was told by the team that RGM is not for sale, but looking for investors.

Robby's quote on Planet Robby;
    Here's the real truth to the conversation. I am considering taking RGM NASCAR Team and Maybe Speed Energy to IPO. Here is the real story.

The Team is not for sale, were going to look at the private sector to bring in partners that have relationships to major corporations that have interest in marketing to NASCAR and its fan base. Although it might be better to take it to IPO where a lot of people can be part of the Team like the Greenbay Packers and help the organization. With a IPO The everyday business man or woman, fan, or supporter could own part of this my organization and race against the big teams. It would be a real David and Goliath story that would bring in a Groupe of partners that would give us more marketing arms and personal Relationships into Corporations and when the team wins and is profitable so do the investors. More details to come soon.

In this sport we have to think different than everyone else. If you always follow you will never LEAD.

10. Mumzy

Mumzy Well-Known Member

Orange, CA now in Dutchess County New York
    This is EXACTLY what Micheal Waltrip, Roush, Ganassi and Petty have done. Robby will find some schmuck to invest a few million, and the whole thing will implode in less than a year. It will end up in court and Robby will have burned yet one more bridge.

He had better package the whole deal as one (race teams and energy drink) if he plans on finding any interested party. And if he plans on dropping millions a year on racing he better start performing. NASCAR brand advertisement cons are in the toilet. Watch a race. If your not running in the top 15 your not even on TV....that is until you crash!

I wish him luck.

11. Tristar Racing

Why did Robby start and move RGM into cup in 2005? He wanted a team he could run and own; and he felt at the time they could run well enough to be chase contenders. (Even more laughable than him commenting in the current Mulhern interview that the team is a top 25 team if they had proper funding)

Why did Robby start Speed Energy? He wanted a company he owned and controlled that could sponsor his racing efforts that he didn't have to answer to regarding direction, results, etc.

Do you not find the irony of him taking his race team and/or energy drink to investors and/or the public?

Robby is still one heck of a driver, but he is his own worst enemy. Even the good ideas get swallowed up or transformed based on whims and snap decisions. In my opinion, he should get rid of the NC shop (which was built out of code, because he wanted it that way), move the off road stuff back to Cali, and use whatever money Speed is generating and Mapei is providing to run a 6-10 race cup schedule with an established team. I am sure with some arm twisting, Penske would at least provide a car at the road courses and plate tracks. (although he signed a deal to run their engines for the entire 2011 season and backed out early on, hopefully that's not another burnt bridge)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

These comments crack me up. Here is a guy who has done what he wants, when he wants, has employed a lot of people, pays his taxes, enjoys a lot of exposure-both good and bad, races wherever he can and works harder than most, yet everyone here carries on like he has already had that IPO and you all have lost your a$$ on it. I see a work ethic and vision that has made this country great. Maybe it's the fact you can line up at any score race either in front of him or behind him and feel like you are his peer.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  13. randy68

randy68 Well-Known Member

Well put..

14. Tristar Racing

I'm sorry, I thought this was a forum where people could discuss their thoughts on topics. I was unaware anyone discussing the issues RGM and Robby have would be labeled as "carrying on."

I see a great work ethic too, and yes he has employed a decent share of people over the years. Does that mean we should sit here and call RGM a success? Working hard is one thing, working smart is another. The best in the business know how to balance both. Just my thoughts, apparently I should keep them to myself and enjoy the group think that a surprising number of Robby fans participate in.

15. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

And I just did.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  16. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

I just want to know when I can buy my shares!!

Best entertainer on the planet IM(IPO)O!!

17. e_lunatic

e_lunatic Member

how is my statement false? i said nothing about his performance, i said that he has told people that as long as the shop/racing doesnt lose money he'd keep the doors open.

18. randy s

ja ja. i've lined up behind him in alot of score races and have not once considered myself to be one of his peers. in this sport he doesn't have very many. about the only thing we have in common is that were both in mexico at the same time..sometimes..by the time we get to the finish line, he's already got his truck prepped for the next race ja ja.

19. arqangel67

arqangel67 Well-Known Member

^^^^ x2, I'm a ready and willing investor.\m/

20. Chris Tobin

Chris Tobin Well-Known Member

I'll invest, but I don't think my $1 will get RGM too far...