Ivan Stewart???

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by negro3030, Jun 26, 2007.

1. negro3030

negro3030 50% tortoise 50% hare

With all the new technology and competition do you guys think that Ivan Stewart in his prime could recreate his career nowadays? Do you think he was so great because lack of competition and technology or did he have the best equipment and team? Or do you feel that he, (in his prime) was just a great driver and competitor? Could a career such as Ivan Stewarts be done today? Or is there too much equaly advanced competitition?
  2. trackmaster

trackmaster Member

being able to go fast and save the car along with his great support all add up to a champion. no one can do it alone. he had plenty of competition.
  3. MIKEY CHILDRESS

MIKEY CHILDRESS Iron Mike

I think that the Comp was more stiff back in the day with all the factory backing.. I'm not anything away from the TT guys of today I just think that there was more overall continders back then..Ivan kick butt back then I'm sure he could still do the same today.
  4. bcampbell04

bcampbell04 Resident Almost Know-it-all

ivan would be just as competitive now as he was back then i think. there was just as much talented competition back then i'd say too, no lack of talent with other drivers like Walker Evans, Ragland, Smith & Ashley, Simon Bros, Baldwins, Robby G, and Roger Mears.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  5. TreyP

TreyP "F" you Bill

I think if Ivan decided to race again he would still be competative, if not a major threat to everyone out there now. The guy knew prep and conditioning plus he knew the course like no one else.

He got smart and left before he was killed or killed someone.
  6. dr shaw6

dr shaw6 Active Member

You can look up some old photos of Ivans (desert) racing career and notice in all of the photos that every body panel is still attached and the skids have hardely any scrapes or dents! He was one of the smoothest drivers ever in my opinion. Look at some of the trucks today at the races and youll see smashed tubes in front and rear from bottoming hard. I'm not sure if drivers are just pushing harder these days, or they are just going much faster than before. All I know is that Ivan Stewart truley is an amazing driver....and oh ya, Im pretty sure he can break you in half with his bare hands so, careful what you post!! LOL!
    2 people like this.
  7. FAF07

FAF07 Member

Or maybe his major sponsor, Toyota stopped paying the bills.
  8. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

IIRC, there was a death in Mexico involving the Toyota effort and a spectator.:confused:
  9. DUMP!

DUMP! Active Member

Without the preperation, backing or the budget of a team like Toyota and PPI Ivan would have a very hard time keeping pace in todays Trophy Truck field.

Now don't all you hero worshipers lash out. I did not say he could not drive. To win today takes a total package. Look at RG for example, all the talent in the world couldn't get him to the winners circle after his championship season of 96. It took hime nearly 10 years to win his next TT race the 05 500.

Dump
  10. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Dead on.

Hasn't been a team that is absolutly 100% completly focused: Driver, Owner, Team 100% Living, Breathing and Eating a single TT entry since Ivan.

Sure there are Driver's, Teams and Owners... But not all three in one spot.
  11. bomber

bomber Active Member

Haha I just answered kinda the same question in your other thread about, well almost the same thing ;) .

No one, even Ivan himself, could be Ivan Stewart again due to lack of conditional parameters.
  12. Dave_G

Dave_G Well-Known Member

Hmmm...as I recall, I think Enduro Racing won every single TT race for a year straight. If that ain't completely focused I don't know what is. Has anyone else done that?
  13. xjchaser

xjchaser Well-Known Member

Ivan was a great driver he won in anything he drove why would you think that he wouldn't be able to win in todays equipment he would just be faster now his ability to read terain smooth driving style and knowledge of what it takes to get a vehicle to the finish line would make him a dominate force today also
  14. DUMP!

DUMP! Active Member

Did you ever work for PPI???? I did, and if you had witnessed the precautions taken by the team to insure that the car would stay together under him and what they did for him during a race you wouldn't make a statement like this.

Dump
    1 person likes this.
  15. DSRacing

DSRacing Mini Metal MOD

Uh, like this one. Seriously, Ivan is(was) an excellent driver, but he could tear a truck up just as well as anyone else.

Attached Files:

16. racecodriver

racecodriver Member

Ivan in my opinion was one of the best drivers there was. I remember seeing him many times out in the middle of nowhere from my days at Trackside.
    I saw EVERYONE go through sections in the middle of nowhere. He was by far one of the smoothest and fluid drivers I remember.

Support is a major part of this sport too and the PPI team did have tramendus support too and that did help.
    Prerunning is also key and that dude preran like crazy.

I remember hearing a story probably urban legend but funny none the less...
    2 guys were in a public bathroom
    Ivan was dressed in his suit and he was at a urinal
    He lifted his foot up and was peeing into the urinal.
    The one guy said "Thats why they call him the ironman"

He must have had a cathider on?
    The world will never know!
  17. Josh_Westwood

Josh_Westwood Member

Heard that story from Ivan.

I think he pick the best time to retire. Wish he could've finished the Baja 2000 though.
  18. BIG JOHN

BIG JOHN Member

Ivan Is The Man,i Miss Seein Him Out On The Track
  19. Josh_K

Josh_K Member

Ya, I think that was 1999. It’s a shame that know one remembers the real facts about off road racing. What most people remember is the image or the persona or façade of a racer that marketing companies can fabricate from nothing. And let me say that I dont mean this about Ivan. He is one that has earned his merit.

I guess one reason is that the average spectator sees less that 1% of a race and they miss all the really spectacular stuff that happens in know were land.
  20. Tom_Willis

Tom_Willis Well-Known Member

Something that Ivan Stewart deserves more credit for (in my opinon) is the big increase in truck sales that Toyota experienced in those years. Now Toyota puts out an excellent product but at that time most guys bought the same brand of truck that either dad or their friends had. And that was fullsize Fords, Chevy/GMCs and Dodges. The "tiyotas" were really only being purchased by buyers who were looking specifically for smaller, higher mileage, cheaper vehicles, like gardeners and handymen. When Ivan Stewart became the "face" of Toyota trucks that was the moment that millions of young men started to drive past the Big Three dealer's lots and test-drove Toyotas. They no longer seemed like "jap" trucks since the spokesman looks so much like the stereotype "'merican" cowboy. The vehicles sold themselves, but not until open-minded buyers walked into the showroom. When they came out with the solid axle 4wd it sold in much higher numbers than the IFS Datsun/Nissan because the Toys were easier to lift. At that point Toyota pulled ahead and stayed ahead of all the other Japanese truck manufacturers. And since the manufacturer's profit on trucks is higher than cars it means even more than all the dollars they spend on NASCAR and open wheel racing. Nobody buys a Toyota because they won a Champ Car race.

Bottom line is that Ivan Stewart and his image have generated BILLIONS for Toyota. If I was him I would remind them of that fact every day.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007