1. Forum membership has its advantages....

John Calvin from Dusty Times magazine passed away last night... :(

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by frostbite36, Jul 29, 2013.

1. frostbite36

frostbite36 Capt. Hindsight

According to Bill Shapely via Facebook.. :(

"John Calvin from dusty times magazine passed away last night... The off road community lost a great man he will be missed...RIP John..."

Stories and pictures would be appreciated... An icon of the finish line and desert racing...

From the Dusty Times (History) website:

It was 28 years ago that Jean Calvin decided to put her journalistic talents to work in the off road field, in which she had been immersed for many years. Jean was an ice skater with Sonja Heine, had a degree in English History and was always a competitive person, racing sports cars for many years then turning to off road for some real challenges. Off road racing was very different 25 or more years ago. Cars had 3 to 4 inches of travel and it was certainly an adventure to take off into the desert for a 400 mile run, and with the equipment available you were out there racing for a long time, even if nothing went wrong. But, we digress. Jean founded Dusty Times to give the off road races and rallying the attention they deserved, and to this day Dusty Times is still giving the off road community their money's worth. We publish every month. We report on over 20 different off road racing groups and we cover rallying all over the world. Our journalistic staff is second to none and we are proud of our status in the off road community and of our heritage as well. Jean passed away in 1997 after a long and varied career in the off road world. Her husband, John, picked up the reins of Dusty Times and is now the editor and the paper continues to hold the top spot in the off road world. We intend to stay the best for all our readers.

2. TJERGENSEN

TJERGENSEN Active Member

everytime i saw him he had a smile. made you smile , thanks john

3. jamoffroad1

jamoffroad1 Active Member

what a great man and friend . very sad news ..
    now he and jean are together again...

4. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

R.I.P. John! I always laughed when you always called me "Kid." We'll miss you. Say "hi" to Jean for us, and give her a hug.

5. Bill

Bill Carlos Danger

Kid was his name for a lot of us younger racers.R.I.P. John

6. Wayne_Nosala

Wayne_Nosala Well-Known Member

Hope this is not true, His place was not far off my delivery routes, and I always stopped in to shoot the S$$T, He is/was and awesome person aside from even the Desert racing stuff. Where ever you are John, I hope all is well ! My wife Ann wrote articles for MORE and MDR back in the early 2000s. We went to quite a few races to do interviews

7. Marty Fiolka

Marty Fiolka Active Member

This is truly sad news. As Bill pointed out, I was always one of his "Kids." He was a tremendous and generous help to me in completing by book and aways had complimentary things to say to me. This is yet another turning of the page that our now older sport must endure....

Vaya Con Dios John....

8. frostbite36

frostbite36 Capt. Hindsight

On a lighter note, Marty...really looking forward to the release of you movie/documentary, Baja Social Club. Kinda captures the aging of desert racing... all of this is kinda tied together.

9. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

Very sad day indeed. Usually John would set his booth up behind my trailer at contingency (to use the shade my trailer provided) at the SNORE races. As a matter of fact John did this at the last SNORE race as myself and Scott from PCI hung around his ezup and had a nice little chat about life and racing. I'm glad I got to spend a little time with him and he looked good and was in good spirits. A piece of off road racing has left us but I will always have good memories of John pulling up in his little Toyota and setting up his ez-up and table handing out the latest issue to Dusty Times to all the racers that pulled through tech inspection. God Speed John, you will be missed buddy.

10. dezertchick

dezertchick Well-Known Member

John Calvin was one of a kind person. I wrote for Dusty Times for almost 3 years, not because I really wanted to, but I wanted better articles written for the magazine. I would edit and re-edit what I wrote until I could do no more. I would always drive my articles (they had to be double spaced and I would average about 3000 words) over to the DT offices, John had some of the neatest off road racing collection stuff in the warehouse he would show me and of course I would drool over it.

The off road world has never been the same for me since my friend, Dani died almost 10 years ago, those old timers here, will know who I'm talking about. And now John, he was the last of a breed that there are very few left of. I am proud to say I knew him and had many talks with him in his DT warehouse, office and motorhome at the races. He will be missed. Godspeed John.

11. Mark Newhan

Mark Newhan Well-Known Member

Very sad. We are whitnessing the end of an era. He loved his wife and it provides great comfort to those who morn his passing to know that he is with Jean now...

12. y2kbaja

y2kbaja Well-Known Member

RIP John, you will be missed at the races.
    Now you can be with your beloved Jean.

13. MADMEDIA

MADMEDIA Hustler

Rest in Peace John! We will not forget you!

14. johnnyweb

johnnyweb Well-Known Member

RIP!! Thanks so much for your dedication to the sport.

15. coilover88

coilover88 Active Member

RIP John. We are a class 3 team (few entries) and in sportsman, but John always made sure to get our story at the end of the day. He will be sorely missed.

16. l.e. shank

l.e. shank Member

RIP John... You and Jean were truly icons in the world of off-road motorsports journalism, and your knowledge and perspective on our sport will be sorely missed!

17. DEZERT DUCK

DEZERT DUCK Member

RIP John, every contingency we pushed the truck thru you always came up to us and handed us a "Dusty Times" and wished us good luck....thank you our friend. Go Navigate with Chuck Strange and keep us Desert Racers Safe. God Speed!

18. offroadracer516

offroadracer516 Well-Known Member

We lost one of the best. He will be missed. God speed John!!! I will see you at that big finish line in the sky!!

19. 12LaPaz

12LaPaz Well-Known Member

Very sad news Rip John you will be missed by all of us

20. Baja Fool

Baja Fool Well-Known Member

Now he will be reunited with his wife. They did so much for this sport. Godspeed