Knee Brace for Riding

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by cthomaschase, May 17, 2011.

1. cthomaschase

cthomaschase New Member

Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good knee brace for riding? I tore my PCL and see a ton of different options for braces, but know that some will fit better under/over gear.

Thanks.
  2. trentk

trentk Member

my team mate swears by his asterisk braces. he tore a ligament in his knee and he kept riding with it torn to finish the season and the only way it was possible was because of his braces, he could not put much weight on that leg at all without the brace.

good luck.
  3. cthomaschase

cthomaschase New Member

thanks trent
  4. troyharper

troyharper DA Meatball

X2 on the "asterisk's".
  5. MXShea

MXShea MX know-it-all

If you're spending your own money on the braces, the Asterisks are the way to go.
    However, CTi2's are the best.
  6. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

another for the asterisks!
  7. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Member

asterisks have saved my bacon more than once!
  8. quad75

quad75 Member

Asterisks Only! There is no substitute, I can't do much more than walk with out them!
  9. BGRANT

BGRANT Well-Known Member

I have two trashed knees and where *Asterisks* for moto and snowboarding. Love em.
  10. troyharper

troyharper DA Meatball

Bill, add coffee before typing. It's "wear".
  11. BGRANT

BGRANT Well-Known Member

12. pgarfinkle

pgarfinkle Active Member

Asterisks are the way to go.
  13. cthomaschase

cthomaschase New Member

Thanks guys, sounds like * is the way to go. Probably ditch my existing knee and shin guards and go with a set of braces, one for the tore knee and other as "preventative" on the good knee.
  14. MXShea

MXShea MX know-it-all

If you have medical insurance you can most likely get a CTi2 made for your already injured one at least.
    They are much better, cast molded and not bulky like the Asterisks...but like I said in my first comment, if you gotta use your own money get the Asterisks.

I tore my ACL when I was 14 racing 80's. Wore CTi2's ever since and good to go.
  15. Brace Guy

Brace Guy New Member

16. Rhinestone Cowboy

Rhinestone Cowboy Can i ban pdailey?

For you guys wearing braces...

I know that when braces are worn on other parts of the body you actually lose some strength due to the body relying on the brace for strength. Any input? Do your knees feel weaker? Not injury weak, strength weak
  17. quad75

quad75 Member

My knees strength wise are as strong or stronger than the have been in the last 15 years, however they are susceptible to injury do to years of skiing bumps and all around abusive bodily behavior that I am drawn toward. I think the main advantage I get from the braces is that they increase the structural integrity of my knees more than anything.
  18. MXShea

MXShea MX know-it-all

As well as wearing them 100% of the time riding since my ACL injury in '96, I've worn them every season snowboarding for the last 10 years. I wear them mountain biking too.

If your braces are set to limit your extension so your knees don't fully extend, it can make you feel vulnerable when you don't have them on...but other then that I don't think they would really make you weaker.

It is a huge mental thing for me, if I put my boots on without knee braces my knees feel weak and vulnerable. I also can't strap in without braces on or I feel like my knees will for sure be injured.

EDIT:
    The brace posted by Brace Guy looks like an EVS Web brace...which is one of the worst braces I ever tried and I would highly recommend against them.
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  19. sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

Broken record here but asterisk as well...
  20. dirtdudeaz

dirtdudeaz Member

CTI! I got some of these after having horible knees. If you have insurance and have hit your yearly deductible, or close, or it's not too expensive, go with the CTI's. These braces are completely custom and well built. I love mine.

If you have no insurance, go with the *