Leaf spring vs 4-link

Discussion in 'Shop - Miscellaneous' started by scott, Apr 15, 2001.

1. scott

scott Active Member

Somewhere in California, between L.A./ S.D.
    Everyone----- What do you think???????? 94-96 Ford F-150-- Rear Suspension................................
    Leaf Spring or 4-Link..( trailing arm)..... Deaver Spring has a set up for my vehicle, Thick spring pack
    run under the axle, set of 3" bypass shocks with the frame c-notched, or the traditional trailing arm
    4-link suspension with the 3" coil-overs, etc, etc,............................. Please Vote Thank You
  2. robert_encinas

robert_encinas Member

if you have the money and time go with the 4 link.you get more travelthat way.
  3. rdc

rdc - users no longer part of the rdc family -

I think you should go with the 4-link, (a) more travel, (b) works well with coil-overs, which I think you have. Not to mention, when people see that big old trailing arm underneath your truck they will probably stop and Stair, I know I would. You decide!
    -Josh

[​IMG]
  4. Junior

Junior Active Member

You have got to go with the 4-link Bro.

Junior
    EJR Racing #244
  5. John_Bitting

John_Bitting Administrator

If it is a daily driver I say go with the leafs, If it is a toy then link it.
  6. Steve_HKmtrsprts

Steve_HKmtrsprts Active Member

If your gonna do it do it right. 4 link that bad boy!!!
  7. rdc

Dude, if you have the coil-overs then link it! Hell it is about the same cost! The only reason I have race packs on my truck is because I already had 'em. Take the time and do it right!!!!

Tony
  8. vwguy

vwguy Member

if its a toy 4link all the way but if you run it on the street i recommend the spring pack or have a good 4 link made
  9. Gabe_Lara

Gabe_Lara Active Member

Link that beast up, Scott!
  10. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

The more links the better. Right?
  11. rdc

No Jack. I think you are looking for the what makes a Disco Truck section...

Tony [​IMG]
  12. scott

scott Active Member

WOW !!!!!!! I really appreciate the imput from all of you. Its is a Daily driver, and I did coil-over and widened the front-end, I was just wondering what everyones input would be.... Thanks again Scott
  13. rdc

So what is it going to be bro...?

[​IMG]
  14. scott

scott Active Member

I'd like to 4-link it, but the problem is, I have to come up with a large amount of $$$$$ to do it all at once.
    So it looks like scott will have to sell his ASS to do it, DAMN IT !!!!!!!!! HEHEHE
  15. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok, my 2 cents. Last night I broke the primary leaf while picking-up the markers at the ridgecrest race and after my best McGiver impression we finally got home around 1 a.m. Take the time, spend the money and do the 4-link.

Greg [​IMG]
  16. rdc

4-link and springs cost the same? Leaf-springsfrom Deaver around-$500. quality custom fab 4-link for an f-150 at least 3-4k and I would like to see a shop that would do it for that, try to name one.
  17. rdc

Well Derek, I was thinking if you built the 4 link yourself ( person who owns the truck).. Is it really that hard to make 4 links that move through the same arc? I mean it is just a prerunner not a full blown race truck. Right? But if the use of a tape measure and a penceil is beyond you then I don't know what to tell you??? I guess someone has to keep the fab shops in business. You should try building track links for a 7S. A link to match the arc of a leaf spring. Thats a little harder. But it is what you need if you plan to use your truck with leaf springs and not break them like Greg did. Sorry to hear about your troubles Greg. Glad you got home okay. How does that duct tape work at holding them springs together??? hehe

Tony [​IMG]
  18. Donahoe

Donahoe Active Member

4-link a Ranger at home:
    4130 for just the links 200.00
    3 1-1/4" threaded bungs 60.00
    3 1-1/4" rod ends 300.00
    Cheep fuel cell 350.00
    cheep plumbing 200.00
    2 cheep coil over shocks1200.00
    mild steel bedcage 100.00
    mild steel incab cage 200.00
    total 2610.0

Thats with the hope that a mild steel cage will hold up and not putting in any cost for nuts and bolt and stuff like fuel pump or bed side or dzus tabs or getting delrin bushings made. Or you can go to a Fab shop and pay at LEAST $10,000.00 and have someone to bitch at when the body roll makes you hit a bus full of nuns on the 5 fwy when trying to make a quick manuver becuse you have WAY too much rear wheel travel for the truck and not enough horspower to get the truck in your lane again... Or you can go to deaver and plunk down $500.00 and have a great rear end that matches the rest of your truck. my 2 cents

NEVER LIFT!!!!!
  19. scott

scott Active Member

Thanks Kreg..... Makes tons of sense. People see widened beams, and big coil-overs so automatically you have to 4-link it.........
  20. rdc

Kreg, nothing personal but $200 for the moly? How much you putting in the round file? You can get about 50ft for that price.. And I hope your price is not $100 per 1 1/4 heim (moly). If so we need to talk... Shocks well you have a few options but if you go with some decent 2.5's your going to drop almost $800. And to control that body roll, I know you have heard of a sway bar.... Oh that will add another 100 bucks.

How about these list:

4 link =
    Coil-over shocks = $1200
    4130 for links = $80
    1 1/4 Heims(moly) = $75 ea x 5 =$375
    Fuel cell = $250
    Pluming = $100
    4130 bed cage = $250 (do it right)
    Sway bar = $100
    Yes you need it but who was taking about an in cab cage? And if your only spending $200, well what is the point. It is not going to save you azz!
    Total= $2355

Leaf Springs =
    Race packs = $500
    Shocks = $800
    Bed cage = $250
    Still should have an in cab cage!!
    Sway Bar = $100
    Track rods ( so you don't snap your race packs) = $50 for tubing
    Heims for track rods ( 7/8) = $50 x 4 = $200
    Should still need fuel cell but I will leave that out.
    Total = $1900

Now I am not saying you can just buy a set of Deavers for $500 and run some $150 2.0 shocks. Which is only $800 total. Not adding the price to mount the shocks. So lets just say make it an even $1000. The set up will work, but no where near what the above set ups will. And the best is the 4 link.. I never said it was cheap to go either way. Just said they are in the same ballpark. I mean if I am going to drop a grand on my truck. I think about it. And if I can spend twice that and have suspension that works 4 to 5 times better than I will wait and save up my pennies. But of course Everyone knows that a class 8 truck is much faster then a trophy truck!! Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fast can you afford to go????

Tony [​IMG]