Lonny Helmboldt

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by PEST, Nov 10, 2009.

1. PEST

PEST Member

I thought there was a video of Lonny Helmboldt jumping over another truck while racing at Laughlin?
  2. alloyz

alloyz Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwDb7uWel5s"]YouTube- jump trophy truck[/ame]
  3. RG1Baja

RG1Baja Member

Here is the incar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8zywLrR5WM"]YouTube- Lonnie Helmbolt Trophy Truck - 1999 In Car Camera[/ame]
  4. BajaFand

BajaFand Well-Known Member

It looks from the front view like he jumped over the other truck but you can clearly see the truck already behind him in the incar before he jumped.
  5. Mike @ pit b

Mike @ pit b #Mike@PlanB

There is one off road video that has much closer footage of that pass. Unfortunately I can't remember which one it is. One of the gnarliest passes ever!!
  6. Kirk_Babbington

Kirk_Babbington Active Member

That clip was first shown on Dirtworks Films "On The Gas Vol. 1" VHS, then again in Dirtworks Films "Saturday" DVD. Too bad Lonny doesn't race anymore, he was one to watch for the first few miles of every race!
  7. blazersracingmom

blazersracingmom New Member

it wasn't Laughlin it was the BITD Vegas 200, the last race of the year and he won trick truck champion that year. My son Brian with Blazersracing filmed that shot. We use to help pit for Lonny. He also has the bad roll from 98 in Laughlin in the 8 truck turned trophy truck for that race only.
  8. PEST

PEST Member

He definately never left anything on the table at the end of a race.
  9. Riverguy553

Riverguy553 Member

So where is he now and days? Does he drive with anyone or come out at all? I remember this guy when i first got into this bad drug..
  10. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

The guy was a wreck waiting to happen. Was his nickname not "LONNIE NEEDABOLT" or something around that line?
  11. PEST

PEST Member

Money Problems, and drama at his race shop shut down his program. Last I heard he moved to FL. XTT-CODAWG could probably tell you all about it.
  12. Dirtworks Films

Dirtworks Films Active Member

We did actually get the close up side view of the pass as it happened it is in 'Saturday" and it is definately one of the sickest passes I have seen to date. Oh the good ol days.

Bob Bowers.