McMillin & Skilton Pictures/Updates

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by fishd00d, Dec 29, 2011.

1. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

Dan McMillin is sending me pictures from their adventure when he can so I will post them here for you guys.

Attached Files:

2. Desert Dog

Desert Dog Active Member

Pic number 2 is the Predator X-18D of Uriarte. I saw his entry for this year, but another thread said he was driving a completely different vehicle. I hope he does well as both Father and Son Predators failed to complete the event in the last Dakar. AFAIR the son's car failed and Dad pulled out.
  3. 01_el_tiburon

01_el_tiburon Bait Fish

That buggy raced the CODE Mexicana Logistics october race. They raced 2 buugys last year, this year the son is racing the buggy and dad will be racing a Predator. havent seen pics of the predotor though.
  4. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly the 2 Predator X18's last year were running VW 2.0 TDI engines and the son lost an engine and the dad did not want to continue with out his son, so he withdrew from the race. I thought their plan was to come back this year, but maybe money has kept them from doing so. I remember watching this team and the X18's were doing pretty well in their class. I think I remember one of the guys at Predator mentioning that they had some issues with the engine builder prior to the event and that the engines were the biggest concern for this team.
  5. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

Here were the comments about the Predator X18 VW engines from Wessen in Belgium on RDC back in Jan.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sh...urbo-2.0-Diesel-racecars-for-Dakar-2011/page5

BAD ENGINES
    I trusted someone with my life and delivered so called race engines...
    which in the end were bad from day 1.

the guy who built the engines promised that everything was fixed and good to go, he even came to california to make sure the engines run better. @ the end of the day he did very little!!!

Eamon trusted me because i trusted my contact but you see... NEVER trust people who claim to be the best!
    Now i'm stuck with a damaged trust in me with Eamon, the Mexicans and all the people that worked on these cars.

just to say if you want racing engines, pay the price and don't trust anyone who claims he can copy these engines!!!

Second post;

What was the problem? What was the cause? Who did the work on the engines???

we choose bad engine builder who I... (not we) thought he was capable of doing this...
    the problem lies in various things i believe now turbo s are bad thats for sure!
    they keep going into overspeed and or bursting apart is the latest i hear from Eamon.

this baby will get a new heart... but not from this builder!
  6. swu chase1

swu chase1 Member

thanks for that pics and updates
  7. 01_el_tiburon

01_el_tiburon Bait Fish

they are both running, the son in the predator, the dad in a raptor...i think the predator got a new power plant....
  8. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

More pics from today

Attached Files:

9. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

Moreeeee

Attached Files:

10. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

I'm surprised with McMillin's long standing relationship with BFG that BFG did not offer them support and that General did.
  11. GunnSlinger

GunnSlinger Captain Buzzkill

I believe that was more of a Skilton thing than a McMillin thing ...
  12. bufeo

bufeo Well-Known Member

This from the Dakar site:

"As a four times winner of the Baja 1000, Mark McMillin is a star of cross-country events in America, but a rookie on the Dakar, since this year is the 55-year old American's first time. His discovery of the event started with scrutineering: 'On the Baja, the scrutineering office is just a big table and you only spend 15 minutes there, whereas here it's a completely different world, very imposing, but fortunately very well organised! This is where the Dakar starts, even if there's still a wait before we get stuck into the racing, which I can't wait to do! Mind you, I'm going to use the first two days to see how everything works and get a good grasp of the rally. In any case, the plan is to look after the car and driver until the day of rest. In the Open category, I think the driver who has the least technical problems will be the winner, rather than the quickest…'”

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/pre-race/adrenalin.html

Allen R
  13. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

some more from yesterday. Jimmy from PCI sent these ones.

Attached Files:

14. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

even more from Jimmy

Attached Files:

15. newdad

newdad Member

Thanks for the pics Jimmy. I didn't know you were down there. Good luck to the team. Keep us posted any way you can.
  16. LukeMcMillin

LukeMcMillin Well-Known Member

Haha, that is a very touchy topic! Adam Gunn is right, this really isn't our (McMillin) show. Darren came to my dad and offered to drive the 2nd vehicle basically for his team. Yes we shipped and dedicated one of our chase trucks, and crew to the Dakar to chase my dad. We are NOT leaving BFG at all, we are NOT in bed with General at all. None of the shirts my dad or team are wearing have both "General" and "McMillin" together on them, and I belevie my dad is taking "McMillin Racing" with the big blue 'M' off the entire jeep becase we do NOT want General Tire or McMillin racing really associated. Going to Dakar for my dad is a once in a life time oppurtunity and he took the deal that was offered. If you guy's see any further speculation in the threads about that, forward on my message, this was something my dad couldn't ever pass up, but the last thing in the world we would ever do in our desert program is leave or upset BFG...

Once the race starts I should be getting lots of updates, pictures, sotries and incar gopro footage from that day to post. We will do our best at doing updates on our web site. McMillinRacing.com and there is a button on the homepage just for Dakar updates.
    1 person likes this.
  17. LukeMcMillin

LukeMcMillin Well-Known Member

FIVE time OVERALL winner of the Baja 1000! 5!
  18. BlueCrace

BlueCrace Member

Well said Luke!
  19. bufeo

bufeo Well-Known Member

Hey, Luke, don't shoot the messenger! Send a correction to ASO. :)

I hope Mark has a great Rally.

Allen R
  20. bufeo

bufeo Well-Known Member

I see that Skilton finished right behind (in time) Al-Attiyah, but I can't find Mark's number in the list. #350 right??

Allen R

On Edit: Ooops. I found it. They must have run into some trouble.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012