1. Forum membership has its advantages....

MDR: Patricia Needs Your Support

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by dezertzoro, Aug 20, 2010.

1. dezertzoro

dezertzoro New Member

OPEN LETTER TO RDC MEMBERS: Patricia is also a victim. She is psychologically devestated and never in a million years thought something so tragic would happen at an MDR event. In the past few days, I've had many conversions with Patricia crying on the phone beside herself not knowing what to do. All she wanted to do was put on a safe and fun family event. She stuck steadfastly to the SCORE rule book -- even if it pissed off a wealthy driver at a competition review board meeting after a race. She is always thorough in everything she does -- especially safety and legal issues ever since that first August 1996 Barstow BLM lottery date meeting. Let's not forget her in this tragic accident.
    Patricia has always treated the "Little Guy" at an MDR event as though each racer were Robby Gordon. Since MDR's inception, Patricia Williams is the one that urged permission from the BLM to put on printed paperwork and on the MDR website the 15 mph guideline in the pits and that the spectators to stay back 100 feet or more -- this will NOT be found in any BLM Permit Handbook or on any permit application. Signs were always posted at ALL OHV areas warning the general public of a special event by its time and date. Since the first MDR race, the Wild Wash 250 in February 1997, Pat felt that having 2 ambulances and 1 fire suppression vehicle at every event was important -- and it was expensive. ....We all know the media is fascinated about our extreme sport, but they are totally misinformed and making her the "fall guy". The money-hairs are standing up on the necks of the "Sharks". The Sharks will quickly find out there's a primary and secondary recreational assumption of risk pertaining to "off roading" on private and public lands. Unfortunately, there's little to no money to be made -- not at $360 pro and $200 sportsman entry fees. Not mention 3% of ALL TOTAL FEES collected go to BLM -- including the prize money is taxed. We all are passionate about desert racing and know the risks involved.
    Patricia Williams has contributed to local off-road desert racing more than anyone that I know it this sport. Financially-speaking, most Southern California companies such as Kartek, Mckenzies, Eibach Springs, King Shock Technology, Sway Away Shocks, Fox Shocks, PCI Radios, Total Chaos, Camburg, PRP Seats, just to name a few companies AND ALL the proffessional fabrication shops that are in business today all owe Patricia Williams a debt of gratitude. We all no there's no money in promoting local desert racing, but Pat saw this opportunity and a challenge back in 1996 after Mr. Castro of La Rana "Screwed" the sport. In 1996, Pat went to a SCORE race and she was hooked on desert racing. After the whole La Rana thing, she felt that she could do a better job. Afterall, at one point in her life, she managed over 200 people at one of her jobs, "Why not this?" she thought. Hence, the "Grassroots" organization known as Mojave Desert Racing was born. Now the "Little Guy" can realistically compete with the help of family and friends (or fab shops) to build a class legal buggy or truck and experience the "off-road racing highs" with all the bells-and-whistles of a SCORE event. When the BLM had open meetings to discuss this or that issue pertaining to desert racing, who was there? Patricia and Jimmy fighting behind the scenes for our beloved sport. It's a little know fact that when Ottis passed away at one of his Fudpucker events in the El Centro BLM OHV areas, shortly after that, one of Ottis' family members asked if Patricia would take over the Fudpucker series since the BLM dates were "Historic Dates" and the Sierra Club was looking to steal these dates so no off-road racing events would happen down south. She took on the challenge of making that series work -- again, keeping desert racing alive where it would have dissappeared, which then in turn, financially helped San Diego-based parts stores like ORW, Race Ready Products and all the fabrication shops in that area. All of us who work in this industry that are so passionate about desert racing that feeds our families, including myself, owe Patricia Williams a debt of gratitude.
    In the days ahead, let's not turn our backs in the coming tough times for Patricia and Jimmy. Also, let's not forget Bret Sloppy and all the victims' families and what they are going through mentally. Any support and prays from RDC members is greatly appreciated. Please contact all BLM officials immediately in swaying your support for them. Afterall, Patricia & Jimmy Williams and Bret Sloppy are part of our desert racing family too...

P.D.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
    (+2) 2 people like this.
  2. qracing

qracing Member

my family and i will be praying for her and everyone at mdr. they host great events and i have never felt like they have ever put any spectator in harms way. i raced there last year and people were farther away. thank you to all that they do and may you guys continue to provide racing for people like me and so many others. taxpayers who work all year and feel like a trophy truck driver 5 to 6 times a year racing. i look forward to each race and my family does too.

patricia you are wonderful to talk to and always happy, even when it is hot and windy out. i know as well as anyone else here that the events last saturday were unfortunate and only god knew it would happen. seek refuge in the most high, the lord god above, and be comforted by the holy spirit.

noah quantrell:1482

3. Total Loss

Total Loss Member

Some of our first thought were with Patricia and family.
    I have helped run checkpoints in the past and I should have been the "adult" and called MDR main to inform them of the
    crowd issue at the rockpile. I did not, was leaving the scene and the rest is history.
    Hope we all can recover from this.
    Maybe time will heal most of the wounds.
    Hang in there Williams family.
    Will direct some prayers your way.

4. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

Does she Have a specific Need we can take care of now?

5. Cronus

Cronus Active Member

It may not be in the Permit Handbook or on the application, but it is typically on the "Final event stipulations" document. It reads:

"All persons involved in, and all spectators of, this event are to travel 15 MPH, or less, when passing within 50 feet of any social group, picnic area, or camping area. Permittee may disqualify anyone violating this stipulation and may ask BLM officials to remove such a person from the event."

This mirrors closely what is laid down in the California Vehicle Code. As discussed in another recent RDC thread, it is unclear whether this stipulation was intended to apply to race vehicles or not. Anyhow, just wanted to mention that because there has been a lot of confusion over it.

I sympathize with Patricia, and wish her the best. I can understand that she's probably in no shape emotionally to face the media. I'd respectfully suggest that she appoint a spokesperson for MDR so that media inquiries don't go unanswered. It looks really bad when a news article says that numerous calls to MDR have not been returned.

Attached Files:

6. SARAH

SARAH New Member

I know of at least a few of us who have sent her an e-mail. I hope she's checking them.

7. grt5/1600

grt5/1600 Member

In reply to your post, Patricia is a very kind and professional organizer and has full support of our racing community. There is no way that you can control that many people in these events. People have to take it upon themselves to be a bit more responsible and understand the disipline that goes hand in hand with enjoying a desert race. Patricia we are with you and our prayers are with you. Bajajag MDR #599.

8. 9rocky

9rocky Well-Known Member

I hate to be negative, especially at a time like this, but this is the same Patricia that tried to get the Powder Puff race cancelled and wiggled a extra permit out of the BLM because of it. Flame away....

9. bigtex

bigtex Active Member

Let Pat know no one who knows her or the sport is blaming her,If there is anything I can do if you can PM me I would love to help her. Our prays go out to her and her family.

10. drtdevil93

drtdevil93 Active Member

PD, so you know, and as I posted in my other thread, the BLM has refused to give me a copy of the original contract, so I sent a FOIA request for it yesterday. However, this will take some time. I have had contact with several media people I feel are trustworthy, and feel that if I can get that contract, I can help MDR and Patricia. I have attorneys on retainer at my work who have been delighted to help me if the Sierra Club is on the other side of the table.

Patricia has provided me with a place I can afford to race, and I have never once felt my safety was jeopardized. I am nothing but grateful to her for giving me that. Racing has provided me with a constructive way to deal with problems and issues I've faced in my life. Racing has taught me the physics that got me an engineering job, the emotional control that has made me a stable person, and the leadership that has allowed me to succeed. And the only place I've ever been fortunate enough to race has been with Patricia. I owe all of this to her. Please let her know this.

I feel that is the BLM's intention to throw MDR to the sharks to appease the Sierra Club and the sheisters. I think a lot of the other promoters have accepted and even been comforted by this. This is not acceptable. This gives the Sierra Club that much more power, that much more traction, that much more momentum. It cannot be allowed.

I've sent Patricia (info@mdrracing is the only address I have) an e-mail asking her to please either keep my entry fee for her own use or donate it to fast-aid if she doesn't need it. I encourage everyone who was there to do the same.

11. Matt Towery

Matt Towery New Member

From the moment I heard the news early Sunday morning I have been in grief not only for the victims but ESPECIALLY for Patricia and the MDR staff. Like many, I have been unable to race for the last 3 years with this frustrating economy but I still read and watch every day; looking forward to that day when I can race again. Our experience with MDR ( frankly, the other sanctioning bodies as well) was always so great; it was OBVIOUS that they weren't in it for the money. The work was hard, it was hot and dusty and she's always put up with a tremendous amount of bitching and griping. It was for the LOVE of the sport, the love of the desert and the desire to give the "everyman" like us a stage to be a Walker, or an Ivan or a Robbie for a day. Patricia always took time to talk to me about all issues from classes and structure of racing, technical AND SAFETY issues, and to fighting the battle politically against losing the freedoms we have (maybe now had) in competing in and enjoying vehicles in the desert. Patricia does not deserve the criticism, the media onslaught, or the grief and saddness and this LIFE CHANGING tragedy because of reckless people who refused to conduct themselves with common sense. We owe Patrica and the MDR staff a huge debt of gratitude for helping to make our dreams and fantasies a reality and we should do everything and anything we can to help her. I am horrified for her suffering. Please let us know how and what to do for her. A fund, contact number, new po box, anything......

12. Tundranation

Tundranation Active Member

This has to be very hard on her and her family, Email sent early on, i hope she is reading them. My support, thoughts and prayers to all of the MDR family. They have brought southern cal a lot of good races !! Helping a lot of people along the way !

Chuck Grasmick,

MDR Stager, start / finish flagging

13. drtdevil93

drtdevil93 Active Member

Winston Churchill was an alcoholic. Patton was a anti-semite. Werner von Braun was a Nazi. They also went on to do great things for the world. What is your point? To kick someone while they are down? What does that say about you? If you have any decency you will delete your post, and I mine.

14. tmathews

tmathews Well-Known Member

just sent an email to Patricia and Jim

15. OneLove79

OneLove79 New Member

16. Giant Geoff

Giant Geoff Active Member

For years, MDR would always come down pit row to make sure we where 100’ back from the course when setting up. Later daring the race when a car would get out of the main line, we where happy there was extra space to keep are crew safe.

Thank you for all the great years and years to come.

17. dwasser

dwasser Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what they are emotionally going through right now. We might be business competitors but we're all human at the end of the day. Please pass along that we are thinking about her, Jim, and the rest of the people in her group.

Sincerely,

Doug

18. Let's go off roading

Let's go off roading Active Member

Shame on you!

If you hate to be negative especially at a time like this you would of never posted what you posted

19. Let's go off roading

Let's go off roading Active Member

I sent an email to Jim and Patricia right after the accident and I have prayed for the familys of the lost loved ones and for Jim and Patrica.

During times like this people that are grieving say mean and hurtful things. I will also pray for them.

20. dezertzoro

dezertzoro New Member

then why have a RACE if there's a 15 mph speed limit around people???? the first car from every class off the starting line will be the winner every time???? 15 mph is for the general public driving around other spectators, camping area, pit areas.........