Mild S-10 Suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by S-10 Kid, Dec 6, 2005.

1. S-10 Kid

S-10 Kid Member

I have a 2wd S-10 4.3L and would like to add a few inches of travel without welding or cutting the bed if possible. If anyone knows of a company that makes a such a kit please let me know, thx.
  2. Sean

Sean Member

I have the same truck as you, looks just like the picture in your avatar. I had this problem a while back and the best answer I came up with was to get a Ranger or Toyota if I wanted any type of suspension travel other than stock. S-10's are best kept stock or lowered. Sorry that just the facts of life with S-10's and offroad.
  3. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

CST makes a real decent "long travel" kit for the S-dimes thats all bolt on. you run a coil and shock in the stock bucket with longer tubular a-arms with uniballs.

and hit up Deaver for some leafs. you can make the truck look real nice and be fairly dirt capable but just dont expect to be able to race it or megahuck it.
  4. S-10 Kid

S-10 Kid Member

Ok thanks for the info, do you have a link to the companies web sites you talked about? And do you have an idea what the parts would run? Thx
  5. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

6. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

Uh Matt, you might want to check out Javier's #1269 S-10.
  7. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

whos javier and he races on an off the shelf cst kit with with coil buckets and stock length shocks in the coils?? photos please.
  8. bajafox

bajafox Accepted

I was browsing the Classifieds after lunch as usual and saw a listing for an S-10 Long Travel, uper and lower a-arms and shocks for $1500. Might be a way to go, I'm not sure what they usaully retail for.
  9. Brandon_Charley

Brandon_Charley Formerly "Cracka Racing"

There was also a guy on DesertRangers.com a while back building a pretty nice s-10 kit.
  10. S-10 Kid

S-10 Kid Member

Ok cool thanks for all of the info guys. I just gotta save up some money now, lol working and going to school at the same time sucks. I got another dumb question, does anyone know were to get a SCORE International sticker?
  11. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

Search that car number at any of this season's MDR races. Not a kit of any sort on that truck.
  12. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

my point exactly..........i was just answering the guys question.........."I have a 2wd S-10 4.3L and would like to add a few inches of travel without welding or cutting the bed if possible. If anyone knows of a company that makes a such a kit please let me know, thx"

i suggested the cst kit.......if course you can race an S-10 on a full custom set up. bolting on a cst kit is not a full custom set up and should not be raced or megahucked. that was my point.
  13. S-10 Kid

S-10 Kid Member

Hey matt thanks for the help, I really didnt want to do any welding on my truck, its a daily driver and its gotta take me to school and work everyday, but thanks again for the info.
  14. dezerts10

dezerts10 BANG!! BANG!!

the cst kit is good for on road driving and chase roads THATS IT. if you jump it woitht he cst kit or abuse it your looking for problem. I know I had it.

Gregg
  15. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

It's not a full custom set-up, it's a STOCK Mini.

That is a good point.
  16. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

i think id still rather race on gussetted stock parts than any bolt on kit out there for s-dimes. either way, its a moot point. haha

missed you at the expo this year, thom...
  17. S-10 Kid

S-10 Kid Member

I agree, that would be much stronger but like I said this thing has gotta get me around and I'm not gonna race it so yeah its not a big deal.
  18. havahockey

havahockey Flipper

19. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

Jav's truck was legally able to use some vendor's aftermarket upper in Stock Mini w/ MDR, but now that he's moving up to 7S he has to go back to a stock upper arm. Other than the usual gusseting etc. they were about the extent of the suspension mods.
    That upper BJ is the real problem on those trucks. With that really short upper arm you quickly run out of BJ travel. I'm addressing these comments to trucks of Jav's vintage, have no idea if the next gen's share the same parts or not.

I was @ Expo. We even crossed paths. You were in the middle of a discussion about beer. Far be it for me to interupt such a serious topic. :D Something distracted me (likely a different gender), and when I looked back you were gone.
  20. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

There's three ways to look at this... the easiest and most realistic solution is to build something else. That's already been covered. Second is to make the control arms that you've got now work. Third is going with a control arm kit from one of the aftermarket vendors. As with anything it comes down to your budget... how much do you have to spend? Are you handy with a wrench? If not, do you have free access to someone that is?

Aloha