New Offroad Mag

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by scott, Mar 20, 2002.

1. scott

scott Active Member

Somewhere in California, between L.A./ S.D.
    The May issue of Offroad I got today, with the Enduro Racing (duralast) Trophy Truck is featured in it....Pretty good articles n stuff....
  2. pjc

pjc Chairman

hah.. About time they did that.

We covered the Duralast truck 3 years ago.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/02/>http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/02/</A>

I have heard that ol' Randall is a bit slow.

PJCinLV
  3. V8Ranger

V8Ranger Member

Is it be or are there a lot of mistakes in their articles, according to them Enduro Racing came in first in the 4WD class, but last time I checked it was a 2WD. huh?
  4. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

Yea I also noticed all the mistakes, there were a lot actually.

Go Big Or Go Home
  5. havahockey

havahockey Flipper

Ya, and did you see that 3.0L Tundra? :)

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit, Deavers, 7100's, blah blah..
  6. pjc

pjc Chairman

Randall Jackman, the editor at Off-Road Mag claims that all the on-line off-road sites are "doomed" and only the print mags will be left.

I bet he still thinks that the Internet is a "CB Radio" like, passing fad.

PJCinLV
  7. John_Bitting

John_Bitting Administrator

Randall did write another good article that pertains to all of us. Something we deal with daily.

Straight From The Jachmann
    Keeping What We Have

By Randall Jachmann
    It hasn't always been this way. There was a time, when I was growing up, when you could go off-roading almost anywhere outside the city limits in Southern California. Just jump in your 4x4 and go -- but no more. So what happened? Growth of population and irresponsibility of many off-roaders contributed to the progressive closure of land. There are two kinds of off-road enthusiasts: those who love anything to do with off-road and the Johnny-come-latelies who bring their buddies, a keg of beer, and no respect for the outdoors.

When it's all said and done, it's the latter of the two that leaves the area destroyed and full of trash, wrecklessly endangering those around them. Generally, this type of off-roader doesn't take responsibility for his or her actions and ends up suing either the property owners or the vehicle manufacturer when they get hurt. I like to have fun as much as the next guy, but if you can't enjoy off-roading without being buzzed or on some kind of mind-altering substance, you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

As a kid, I couldn't wait for the weekend to go dirt bike riding. I filled up my gas tank and rode till the thing was empty, filled up again, and held the throttle wide open until the gas was burned up. This continued into my teens. Then in my mid-twenties, the real world set in and I was off to build a career and make some cash to buy new off-road toys.

Today, my passion is still the same. Though I don't have the time to get out every weekend, I do cherish the time I spend off-roading. As kids, we develop passion, and most people also develop ethics and morals, which are tied into being responsible. With land closures happening more and more, if we want to continue to have this land to use, we have to be responsible. I don't care whether your into 'wheelin', rockcrawling, bustin' big in the desert, or whompin' through mud, using your head is essential.

At least once a week, I receive an e-mail about a new area that is on the verge of being closed to off-road use. That bothers me because there is so much freedom we take for granted, but if we don't act responsibly and control ourselves, then we will have our rights taken away, little by little. I encourage everyone to be more active in their form of off-roading, clean up as you leave, maybe even sign up for clean up and maintenance on a local trail. It's your land -- use it, but don't abuse it!

A man is not finished when he is defeated,
    he is finished when he quits.
    -- Richard M. Nixon
  8. pjc

pjc Chairman

I think he misses the point and fails to mention that the eco-nazis have an agenda to eliminate OHV use on public land, regardless of our actions, good or bad. Honestly, I doubt that Primedia would let him say that even if he were to agree.

Don't get me wrong. I see the good side of our community reaping dividends with the mainstream moderates in the BLM etc. These positive actions should only grow.

Just remember, (I am broken record on this) that there is an agenda by the likes of the Sierra Club and their piers and the support of their sheeplike druids in total that call for the end of what we like to do. This has never changed.

PJCinLV
  9. Kritter

Kritter Krittro Campbell

It's jackasses like these depicted below that ruin it, not the "buddies and keg of beer". I grew up off roading with my dad and every single run we went on was with "buddies". What is the point of going offroad if you are not going to go with your buddies and take some beers along...that's the whole fun of offroading...commrodery. I go up to the desert quite often now and love it. Nothing better then going out to the dirt and playing around with friends drinking some beer and BS ing. Just my 2 cents

[​IMG]

Kris
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>
  10. Jimmy8

Jimmy8 Well-Known Member

I always like what Randal's editorials have to say at the front of all of the off road mags, and they are almost always right on. As for magazines, I think that there will always be a place for print magazines and for online magazines. Print magazines I think reach a bigger audience, but online magazines have up to date info on races, events ect., which is impossible to do with prints magazines. I think that there is a place for both, and I honestly don't believe that either one hurts the others sales or hits, but I do believe that the 2 can help each other reach even more people.

Trophy Truck #15
    Class 8 #8080
  11. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Kris-

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I don't see those guys in the picture doing anything wrong. No trash is on the ground, they are in a legal area (Glamis), and I don't see any alcoholic beverages in their hands. I'm saying this because I am one of those guys, who has a friend with a dope truck, that he jumps out there, or anywhere legal for that matter. I dress like that, I look like that, and my friends all know I ride pretty much WFO all the time, except into and out of camp. BTW...I'm 25, the youngest guy of our group is 20.

Do I think kids generally get a bad rap...NO. I think kids are raised a certain way by experience. You see 2 crowds at the dez. One is the older crowd, with the younger crowd mixed in, who have all been going to the dezert since time began. The other crowd, is the hooligans who didn't have anyone bring them out here, except their buddies, and they generally have little to no respect for the area, or the other people around them. These are the people that are ruining it. I'm not trying to drag anyone through the slaughterhouse, just know what's up. Ignorance is part of what is closing down OUR desert.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.
  12. pjc

pjc Chairman

Agreed Jimmy!

Now, please tell Randall to stop his contant bashing of the on-line venues.

As for circulation.. I dunno, this is hard to tell. At ORC, we use the infamous "cookies" to count out readership. On any given month, we see well over a million.

On the print side, they may have a circ of around 200k but, more than the purchaser reads each indiivdual copy.

As we see it, our place is to always produce content that they can't as a primary focus, wether it be timely or contoversial. Things like mail lists and Bulletin Boards fall into this mix too. Speaking of that, our damn BBS just ate about $4k in new hardware and still isn't happy. Over 680k messages in the datbase now. Tons of data. I watch the seach querries and it make me feel good that folks are sharing and finding answers on just all kinds of things, technical and community wise.

Saludos!

PJCinLV
  13. pjc

pjc Chairman

Ryno,

Bottom line.. Off-roading spans the generation gaps to the point where it disapears. THIS IS EXCELLENT!

I did what as a kid, what you kids do now. Our vehicles were far less developed though. I am still alive and by all standards so will you a few decades down the road.

Keep it up, have fun, yet always, always try to think about what you can do to keep our image up and not a target for the eco-nazis. And please, pass this same advice on to your pals.

Saludos!

PJCinLV
  14. martininsocal

martininsocal Active Member

Well- going out with buddies offroading is great, drinking while doing it is stupid, period. After a long day in the dirt, sitting around a campfire and bench racing, bragging, and enjoying company is great too, even with a beer in your hand. standing next to a jump that you obviously drove to and will drive away from while holding a beer just shows your disregard for all the other folks who recreate in the dunes and could be the next target of the best drunk offroader in the world.

What we all need to promote is the fact that responsible offroading was here before the flarbillers were kicked off the (beach, mountain bike trails, river, lake, van nuys blvd...) and have simply found a location where they can do things wrong with little law enforcement to shut them down. When the desert is closed, they will continue to do this stuff someplace else while those of us who recreate responsibly in the desert will be aced out! That 2% of bad apples will just be 2% someplace else. If enforcement was given the funding and tools to be effective, 1- the families would be much happier and dafer, and 2, the eco-nazis wouldn't have this excuse to shut down riding areas. think about it. they don't want increased funding for law enforcement either, it wrecks their agenda for land closures.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG
  15. scott

scott Active Member

Martin, I agree with you totally..... Don't forget those Eco-Nazi's are using all those Crusty Video's against us in legislature... Can you say Ammo !!!!!!
  16. pjc

pjc Chairman

Crusty Demons Videos as ammo?

I agree that videos like "What Really Happens at Glamis" by the idiots at Felony Films is used by the eco-nazis but, the Crusty tapes, i.e. Fleshwound Films ? I dopn't think so. There is not enough there for them to say anything more than "those crazy kids".

PJCinLV
  17. rdc

rdc - users no longer part of the rdc family -

Online sites are falling by the minute, not many sites are going to be free anymore, all the advertising banners and stuff dont give money like they used to. The way I see it sites are going to have to start charging people for access to read. Magazines arent very usefull either, but they do reach quite a bit more peopel because they can be on a newstand. Anyways their will always be jackasses looking for attention out in the desert and dunes.

www.offroadrangers.com]
  18. V8Ranger

V8Ranger Member

I agree with you Jimmy, their coverage of the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 comes out in an issue about 3 months after the race has taken place.
  19. pjc

pjc Chairman

Hello 97PreRunner,

Our traffic is the same or slightly better as it was during the top of the 'net boom period. Our traditional advertisers are about the same. The bulk advertisers like doubleclick are horrible. We are here for the long haul and will be around when the economy recovers fully. Traversing such a path always creates an institution or mainstay when you survive the "bust".

Will we ever charge for content? Maybe.. I'd rather leverage the loyal readers to use branded products that can make a small amount of money on per subscriber. We have done a few things and have more on the drawing board.

For example.. Many of the folks here use AOL. Well, AOL is now part of Time Warner and Ted Turner's empire. Ted, is a long time foe of open access to public lands and is also a vocal supporter of environmental extremists. Why give your monthly ISP fee's to the enemy? We'll be offering nationwide, dial ISP services soon. Our survey says that folks will switch.

Cheers

PJCinLV
  20. scott

scott Active Member

PJC, you don't think they use every bonfire, booze drinking, naked partying, getting hurt extreme video that has ever been produced, to use for ammo to close the desert ???? I guarantee every year they show the copyright dates on these video's and tell legislature, " here it is, year after year same destruction that the taxpayers have to pay for".......