Off Road Show in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by championship, Dec 12, 2005.

1. championship

championship Member

We got back late last night from the Off Road & Truck Expo in Phoenix. It was a great show with lots to see. TT's of Bob Shephard, G & R Racing, Speedway and some new blood coming out. Plus many Buggies and Sand Toys and of course the Maxxis trucks were there proudly displaying the Baja 1000 dirt on the Class 7 (thats the way Desert Sports Magazine wanted it) Anyway, it was a really nice show, very easy to set up and the people of Phoenix were great, they are dieing for more Off Road racing in their area. Anyway, I would put it on a list of "must see" shows for next year.
  2. Beachracer

Beachracer Member

Raul , I was not able to get out there myself , but what size would you say the attendance was ,compared to the shows at costa mesa, or something bigger even?
    Hey also, Steve stopped by and said to say Hi to you and your group, and good luck to your Maxxis team in 06. Now get that truck washed.
  3. Bryan_D

Bryan_D Active Member

Raul it was nice talking to you about the sponsorship deal and hope to be in more contact soon. Trucks looked good. Overall the show was fun, if nothing else some of the things were worth a good laugh to see.
  4. B Hansen

B Hansen Member

The show was lacking in the racing department but it was cool to go to none the less. I think the real place to be was Hooters at the Arizona Center after the show... Most important thing I've learned all weekend: Never challenge a South African to a drinking competition!

"Keep it tidy"
  5. Doug

Doug Member

I thought it was the best off-road show that AZ has had yet. Still nowhere near as big as the Off-Road Expo in Pomona or the Sand Sports Super Show in Costa Mesa, but still a good show. I heard the attendance is about 15,000. That's about half of the SSSS.

Side note... I think all of these shows would have a lot more attendance if they had a dirt (or sand) area with a few jumps, whoops, and turns, and various vehicles showing what they can do.
  6. SKISPEED

SKISPEED Member

I think Arizona is ready to explode with off road we just dont have anyone out here willing to put on a good race... We have whiplash -if you ran an off road racing venue wouldnt you be at a show like this? We need a smart business savy individual who can put together and promote a race. The show was good and better than last year. Maybe in the next couple years as it grows we wont have to share it with bunch of Custom Harleys. It was definately lacking in vendors that support off road racing. It was good all the same though to have a show.

Brian how many beers does it take to get ejected from a Hooters?
  7. B Hansen

B Hansen Member

12 pitchers for 4 people will get you the watchful eye of security but I'm not sure what it would take to get officially ejected.... haha

I agree with you on Whiplash. Arizona lacks a quality series. I remember hearing SNORE talk about possibly putting on some events in Arizona. I think that would be a great idea to get the ball rolling as far as putting on quality offroad racing in Arizona.
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  8. Tim

Tim Active Member

I dont know if its a secret or not, but I spent the weekend riding around in mexico south of AZ on what may prove to be a new course that a new org is putting together. Thats all I'll say, but man do they seem to have their **** together compared to whiplash.
    wait and see....
  9. Bryan_D

Bryan_D Active Member

Having their shiz together compared to whiplash isnt saying much at all. Hell give some highschool kids the excel program and who to talk to and I bet they would be close.
  10. Volkspower Racing

Volkspower Racing Active Member

We will race a Rocky Point race on May 6; San Luis-to-Rocky Point on Oct 14; and a Sonoyta-to-Rocky Point on December 2. Pill draws will be 4 weeks prior and at that time we will pass out prerun info and credentials. dw

Got that from an e-mail from Tony T. today. Hopfully sombody can do somthing to make AZ racing better. There seems to be alot of Az race cars sitting in garages not doing anything, or going someplace else to race. Plus there isnt much of an incentive to race a full year with Whiplash.
  11. Tim

Tim Active Member

Thats why we all just need to "wait and see."
    Nobody wants another Whiplash including these guys. Thats why its nice to see that they already have more sponsors and support than the current Whiplash.
    I hope it works, It seemed like a great group of guys.
  12. Bryan_D

Bryan_D Active Member

Would this be a several race series or is it a one race course deal? Come on soaz you have to give us a little more than that.
  13. poolman

poolman Active Member

Keep your eyes and ears open.The Rocky Point Race will be awesome. It is what AZ. guys have been asking for for years!pm

We had a great time and adventure,pm
  14. Tim

Tim Active Member

Bryan,
    Last weekend was regarding one specific race, but.....
    we'll have to wait and see what spring brings......
    :)
  15. mmr1

mmr1 Member

I wish I could've caught the show. Nice to see that AZ is finally showing up on the radar for off-road. Most everything that happens in this sport is either Cali, Vegas, or Mexico and AZ is left out in the cold.

Man would it be great to have another AZ organization other than Whiplash. I wouldn't mind seeing BITD, SCORE, etc putting something else on here other than Parker. Btw, Whiplash sucks and can wither and die for all I care! Having no promoter in AZ is better than having Whiplash. A promoter that stands by and abides by it's own rules would be excellent!
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  16. irishprerunner

irishprerunner Member

the show was pretty good.

please get more races in AZ. i am not a mexico fan and don't really want to race there, but i will if i have to. i have sponser obligations so i will race the three whiplash mexico races next year. hell if california can have as many races as they do we have got to be able to get more that stay in the state. hell there is plenty of land.
  17. steelman

steelman Member

Who are you kidding, racing in Mexico is the best out there! I guess you would rather race a 15 mile loop around a gravel pit in Gila Bend than travel to Baja a have stories for a life time. If you where planning on racing the Sonoitya races that Worselash just tried to put on don't waste your gas!! Just wait till after the first of the year for an "official" announcement from the new promoters.

Steelman
  18. Jones23

Jones23 Active Member

I had a blast on the 15 mile gravel pit track!! It took an hour and 15min to get there from home all the family was able to go including my kids. Don't get me wrong I love Mexico races but I won't take my kids to mexico yet too young in my opinion or maybe i'm just to protective! I'm also hoping the new "bigger better promoters" put on a few races here in AZ or Whiplash it is! for me anyway.
  19. steelman

steelman Member

JDC23,

Point taken, I am glad you had a great time in Gila Bend with your family. I also have two small kids and take them to certain races, but always out of harms way on race day! I belive this three race series will be a good start for these guys and wait to see how it turns out?? From the rumors I have been hearing here, it sounds like they should do well.

Steelman
  20. irishprerunner

irishprerunner Member

baja is different than rockypoint or sonoita you just can't compare the two, or three. i will race the whiplash mexico races and probably the other three races that you speak of just because i like racing. all i am saying is that with a good pro,oter we should be able to get a real good series that has most, if not all, the races in az. you are correct though a 15 mile loop does not sound like the funnest time to me that is why i am looking forward to the sonoyta races next year, cause they are actually somewhat long races.