Old School Mickey Thompson video.....VINTAGE***

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Rory, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

I found this the other day on youtube, thought you guys might like it. Mickey Thompson made a movie called "Man in the steel cage". I don't know the story on it but i'm pretty sure it was pulled from the theaters early by the movie studio for some stupid reason and was not allowed to go out on video. It's amazing how far ahead of it's time his race car was....a true truggy. This was one of 3 or 4 V8 powered buggies Mickey had from the mid 70's to early 80's. Just check out the rear coilover shock with the bypass tubes on it. Enjoy.......

Part 1- [video=youtube;JQ73pBI3JPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ73pBI3JPI&feature=related[/video]

Part 2- [video=youtube;rKrGOItLzxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrGOItLzxI&feature=related[/video]
  2. DMaurer1899

DMaurer1899 Member

You old guys out there were nuts.
  3. wheeli

wheeli Funny Guy from the North, eh

Wow im having flashbacks,when I was about 8 years old,im guessing 1972 I was playing in the toy isle at kmart with a mickey tompson buggy identical to the one he drives in this vid. with the big wing on the back,mom wouldnt buy it for me,it was to expensive,so I would ride my bike to kmart all the time and play in the isle with it,eventually I was abel to save enough money from delivering papers to buy one,it ran on model airplane fuel and you would spin the back tire to start it.no remote control it just runs wide open and you let it go.Alot like the way mickey drove it.Between dirt bikes and that little buggy,it made for a very enjoyable childhood,still worshiping offroading 40 years later....thanks.
  4. oldman dirt

oldman dirt Well-Known Member

good stuff for sure----------having been in the NORRA 1000 in 67' I can tell you it was a lot different back then

Robby Gordon actually won in 89 10 minutes behind the lead bike in a clas 8 truck
    I dont think Mickey ever "WON" in baja with that car----The one victory Mickey got in Baja was in a VW powered RACECO !
  5. EBryant

EBryant Member

Despite the "Hollywoodizing" of some of the footage... Great Stuff! Thanks for sharing!
  6. turbotexas

turbotexas Member

Thanks for posting those were great!!
  7. DezertRaders

DezertRaders Member

Man that is going back. My dad was good friends with Mickey, they actually were in business together for a while and I can remember my dad taking me to Mickeys shop when I was real young. I remember going to a short course somewhere like in Riverside where Mickey raced a V-8 Ford 351 when everyone else had VW type buggies. I think his son, Danny? also raced against him at the same time. I could be way off, it was a long time ago. I also remember my dad telling me he was using some type of old airplane shocks converted.
  8. squirelmurphy

squirelmurphy Member

That was awesome. I thought the video editing was pretty good during the clip with the Nuge shredding Stranglehold. I also loved the CHiPs style freeze frame ending, so 70's.

MT was a true pioneer who will always have a place in history, but it was cool to also see some of the other cars and chase/pit vehicles, too. Back in the day when men were men, and the race cars were junk (by todays standards).
  9. loufish

loufish Member

Great flash back in the "way-back" machine!...
    Is it just me, or did Mickey have his hands full keeping that car straight?....:)
  10. Rigid Industries

Rigid Industries Member ADVERTISER

very cool, looked like everyone had trouble keeping the cars straight. too bad the way he had to go after all that...
  11. harleys dad

harleys dad Well-Known Member

Dont mean to be a wet blanket but What a phony movie, Mickey NEVER won the Baja 1000 with that car, his win came at the hands of a good old fashioned Vw powerd Race-co with a beem front end with Terry Smith. I raced every 1000 from 1975 threw 1982 when he did win it and you will not find his name on the winning list untill 1982. The only 1000 that went to La Paz in when he was racing that sprint car thing was 1979 and I dont think he raced it, that was won by Walker Evans in a Dodge class 8. I dont understand this movie at all, most of the film work was obviously at the Mint 400, and the start was staged, the 1000 and the 500 was started just outside of town within a mile of each start line in 75-79. The part that really gives it away is the window nets, they did not come about untill the 1975 Baja 1000 and they were optional untill the 1976 Parker 400 where they were made mandatory. The 75-78 1000 were all loop events
  12. harleys dad

Danny was racing a Vw powerd Funco ss2 class 1 car in part of 76-77 and raced with his dad in 76-77 Baja 1000 races in the Marines sponsor V8 single seat car. I remember racing at Riverside and Mickey hole shoted the class 1 race with the car in the video only to lose the lead in the 2nd turn. It looked like a bunch of ants attacking a big bug. I remember how horrible the rear of that car worked and how bad it bounced when it would come off the ground. That is the car that Mickey put his seat on shocks also!
  13. Fourstroker

Fourstroker Well-Known Member

Noticed some of the same things. In the first clip the Rainbow colored #214 of Mike Lund was never even raced in Mexico and was built at least a year after the '79 Peninsula run. Mike drove his old car in class 10 that year.
  14. 200MPHTape

200MPHTape Well-Known Member

Foottage from every were, I saw Parker, Barstow, Mint, Baja, that car was way ahead of it's time. I remember one Riverside race helping change tires in the pits, he had a fully suspended seat, with shocks on it.
  15. PALAPABOY

PALAPABOY Bajalite Win Streak Killer

At the old Baja-d-saddleback over the PA they kept saying that he had more money in his rear shocks then most racers had in the hole car. I had a great time and I will look for some old photo.
  16. harleys dad

I remember supermouth Larry Huffman saying that, but I think it was Riverside that he was saying it over and over again. The first event at Saddleback in 76 I seem to remember Mickey raced the rear engine Marines car at Saddleback and from what I remember it broke on the first lap, I raced the very first Baja de saddleback in 1976 in our Vw and all in both in 77 and 78 and built a 5/1600 in 79 to race there. I met my wife while racing there in early 1982 when Rich Kimble was involved and I think it was called Bajacross. Saddleback was by far the best race course off road has ever produced, the first event in 76 had a almost 8 mile loop. to the masses that did not get to race there I feel sorry for you, it was the best. I dont remember the sprint thing ever being at Saddleback for a race weekend but it was a very long time ago, I completely remember it at Riverside, but not there