Oregon Desert Race postponed due to environmentalist concerns

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Gage Werke Composites, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Gage Werke Composites

Gage Werke Composites Member

I figured a new thread was warranted

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

CODRA Paisley 400 Info:

Dear fellow racers, participants and fans,

It is our sincere regret to inform you that due to environmental concerns raised by an outside organization located here in Oregon, the 2010 Paisley 400 is being postponed.

This delay in the race date stems from concerns raised by the environmental/desert conservation group that BLM has not completed satisfactory requirements and administrative studies within our operations area.

We have met with both BLM, and the group, and have determined that the requirements for all related studies and environmental assessments must be met prior to our obtaining a permit for the event. These requirements, public comment periods and such will put us beyond the original planned date. Therefore the decision to postpone has been made. This was an extremely tough decision for us to make, however it has not discouraged us and we think it will be for the best.

Due to our increasingly shortened time line constraints, the necessary time for BLM to complete all of their administrative work and required studies, this leaves both BLM and CODRA with too little time to have a successful event for you, the racers.

Given these circumstances and the time frames involved with CODRA and BLM, we have made the decision that postponing the event 1 year will allow for all administrative procedures to be completed. This will also ensure that CODRA and BLM cover all requirements for putting an off road racing event like this together.

We view this minor setback as an opportunity to make sure that the event will be a great success and allow CODRA a complete planning time frame. This will likely increase attendance, and most importantly your enjoyment of the event!

We also feel that this will create an opportunity to gather more support for the people of Paisley, their businesses and most importantly the School by having an increase in attendance.

We are continuing in planning the event and having outings to gather more information about the area and possible course options.

Yours Truly,

Jared Ford, Kevin Hescock,
    CODRA Staff.

Please ask us any questions you may have and keep checking back to the website for updated information. Don't get discuraged, we're not. This race WILL happen.
  2. Made In Oregon!!!

Made In Oregon!!! New Member

WHAT THE FRENCH TOAST!!!It was all going so well too... Sorry to hear that Mr. Ford. I cant imagine how disappointed you and Kevin must be. When i was down in paisley for the "recon/prerun in AUG2009" i was impressed to see how motivated and passionate you were to get this race up and going for everyone to enjoy.

After watching the Mint 400 this weekend i was pumped thinking how great its going to be to watch or participate "winning the raffle to Co-drive for pistol":D in the upcoming "ODR 400".

I DONT WANT TO WAIT ANOTHER YEAR!!!!! Dam you UNKNOWN "environmental/desert conservation group" id like to put your Prius in too a wood chipper you pickle eating kumquat group!
  3. dakineJ

dakineJ Member

Speechless, well , not really haha. This is more than frustrating considering how well things were going. Thank you to everyone who put in so much work. You guys have done well and given us all hope for the future. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help, write letters, etc.
  4. Devin J

Devin J Member

I had expected something like this to happen, it is Oregon. I've seen it many times having grown up in a logging family, and being an offroad motorcycle enthusiast. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Kevin & Jared -
    Let me know what I can do to help, WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET!!!
  5. bajascott1

bajascott1 Member

well it is what it is. still alot of work ahead. you guys know where i stand.
  6. BenStock

BenStock Active Member

Not totally surprised given the inexperience with the current BLM members and the views of the state. Not knocking anyone but just saying I'm not shocked.

On a pro-active note. Is there something we can do in that area on the weekend we planned to have the race? Recently BOR (Bonneville Off Road Racing) did a desert clean-up party at a location where they would like to have a future race. From what I understand, they removed a great deal of trash from the desert and boosted their image with the local BLM. If CODRA did something similar, it would give racers/teams/families a great chance to see the area and what Paisley has to offer. Maybe some people can bring their race vehicles and we could cruise the Paisley gut and have a little car show for the locals to check things out. Maybe work some sort of fundraiser in to get some $$$ for the schools this year.
    1 person likes this.
  7. bajascott1

bajascott1 Member

something is being worked on for that weekend.
    Jared and Kevin have been working really to make this happen,and i for one plan on being there June to bbq a steak and serve them both a refreshing coctail . my hats off to you guys,and the BLM for all your hard work.
    we need to educate the group in question, of our intentions to keep our deserts open for us and future generations. this is just a minor set back
  8. Gage Werke Composites

9. QurtysLyn

QurtysLyn Active Member

Our desert clean up went really well, everyone had a good time, and we cleaned up 11.5 miles of road. in 5 hours. It was a good project to get to know each other, and to help show the BLM that we care too.

Also, Dang Environmentalists.
  10. dakineJ

dakineJ Member

I'm down to help out with a clean-up party in Paisley.
  11. quad75

quad75 Member

I like the clean up idea, I'll rally some would be racers if something materializes.
  12. J_Edgar

J_Edgar Member

I would be interested in the clean up. Sorry to hear about the postponement, had some guys I work with interested in heading down and checking it out.
  13. prerunner1499

prerunner1499 Active Member

Ya Jared and I will be planning on doing something that weekend. We'll post up an announcement some time in the next week or so. We are planning on going over there for another look see. Weather permitting, right now SNOW is forecsast in the entire race ops area until monday at the earliest. Lows in the 20's and highs in the 40.
    PM myself or Jared for details.
  14. Vtr_Racing

Vtr_Racing Well-Known Member

Would you mind exposing what group this is opposing your race?
  15. Gage Werke Composites

Without saying directly :
    omraoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7717&start=90
  16. bajascott1

bajascott1 Member

its gonna be cold...bbbrrrrrrrrrr
    im going to be lakeview to talk to a few people(work related)
  17. dakineJ

dakineJ Member

That is exactly the "organization" that I was thinking of.They have pretty much stated that they oppose any development whatsoever.I wonder how they got the ear of the BLM before the public comment period. I dont mean to stir things up , ha ha, I just think fair is fair.
  18. Choptechfab

Choptechfab Active Member

ya those guys seem like a joke to me! but what do ya do? I think we need to go over there and run roads and do some clean up sometime for sure!
  19. pjc

pjc Chairman

TELL ME WHY IN THE BLOODY HELL that you are not naming the Evniro-extortion, Organized Crime A-holes !!!!!!!

Do you think you are winning favors with these satanic jackholes?
  20. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

Yeah, out 'em!