1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Raceco Truck

Discussion in 'Vintage Racing' started by PALAPABOY, Mar 23, 2012.

1. PALAPABOY

PALAPABOY Bajalite Win Streak Killer

Does anybody know anything about this truck? Who the original owner was? It looks close to the truck that Letner's had, but it has been a long time since I have seen it. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Mike_Cohen

Mike_Cohen Active Member

Dana,

I think that Mike Smith of then Raceco fame built 3 of these trucks (Letner, Keith Jackson of Castex, and Robby Gordon's Tecate La Victoria Salsa truck). Robby's was the only solid axle with the Letner and Castex truck being IRS with a nifty rear end 3rd member type assembly.

The truck you have pictured was originally a grey silver color and Keith Jackson of Caste Film Rentals raced it. I cannot remember the gebtlemen's name who had it / has it now after but I remember it being the FOA racing team out of Las vegas. I remember seeing that truck many times race Class1 without fenders and it had a bunch of hand written signatures on it.

Those trucks were all epic! Do the Letner's still have theirs?

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of all of them for you.

Are you working on any fun projects?

Mike

3. BajaFand

BajaFand Well-Known Member

Letners sold the truck a few years ago and it now lives in Mexico.

4. charlie_brown

charlie_brown Well-Known Member

letners truck (unless it is a different truck) was a "sister" truck to larry raglan"s onld s-10 truck. not related to this project.
    built by clive smith.

5. acecoman01

acecoman01 New Member

Wrong Mike... Mike. That would be the Castex Truck. which was purchaced by yet another Mike in Vegas(don't remember his last name). The chassis was originally built by Dan Mathews @ Raceco. The suspension was later updated by myself @ Raceco.

Mike

6. MC@ Performance Fab

MC@ Performance Fab Active Member

I met Clive back in the mid 90s. We were both working on the Saleen Mustangs. Clive is a great guy, Saleen not so much.

7. mexracer10

mexracer10 Well-Known Member

Mike Tiedmen sp? Did own one of these trucks also ran it most of the time as a tt was white with yellow flames coming off the front of it, i always loved these trucks they worked very well for that era of tt.

8. Mike_Cohen

Mike_Cohen Active Member

Yeah that's it, Mike Tieman.

9. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

Sorry Charlie, the Letner truck was built by Mike Smith, then Robby got Smith to build him the "La Victoria" Ranger. The Ragland S-10 was built very differently than letners and Robbys.

10. PALAPABOY

Wow thats alot of Mikes. So aceco Mike this is a raceco and you updated to the rear arms that it has now. If so and you did some work on it can you look at your PM and give me a # and time so that i can give you a call. A good bud of mine found this in the Vegas area and I am going to pick it up to have for the next year NORRA along with my Datsun project.
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Racer X Mike give me a call if you can.

11. charlie_brown

charlie_brown Well-Known Member

i/we must be thinking of different trucks because i live 2 blocks where the truck i am talking about and went in to the shop several times while it was being built and i never saw MS their but clive was there every time and the guy i talked to. larrys truck was the one with "straps" for spings if i remember right.

12. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

Yes, Larry's had the straps on the suspension. Mike Smith actually used the blueprint drawing of the Letner truck in his business ad back in the day, think it was used in Dusty times. Also, all of the shocks on RG's Ranger were Mike Smith shocks. The only other trucks that I know of that Clive built would be the class 7 S-10 Larry drove (General tire truck), and also a Pikes Peak truck, along with the class 2 truck with the straps.....maybe I'm missing one somewhere.

13. MC@ Performance Fab

MC@ Performance Fab Active Member

Clive also built a short course 4wd truck for Jack Flannery.

14. Tony_Barraza

Tony_Barraza Well-Known Member

OK, this is for Dana, Mike, Mike and his other brother Mike - HAHA!

Going through some archives last night and remembered this thread, so I fired up the flatbed scanner. Attached are pics of the Letner and Jackson trucks. Letner is from the '91 Parker 400 and Jackson (Castex) is from the '94 Fireworks 250 contingency and race.

Enjoy!

TB

Attached Files:

15. PALAPABOY

It looks like I will have to pass on this truck,the moter is locked up looks like water got into the cyl and with water in the oil it is just to much for me to take on at this point. If anyone is looking for a project like this PM me and I will try to get you hooked up on this part of offroad history.

16. Matt_Stankavich

Matt_Stankavich Mr. Football 2009

Is that Kenny Powers in the Chevy Thunder shirt?

17. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

What happend to the one that was sitting behind your shop in Ely Nevada?

18. acecoman01

acecoman01 New Member

That front bumper was filled with lead. It weighed 150 lbs.

19. acecoman01

acecoman01 New Member

The chassis was sold to Scott Smith.

20. WhyNot

WhyNot New Member

Scott Smith never done anything with it, it was sold again and was sitting in a farmers equipment yard in Gooding, ID the last I knew.