Radiator orientation when mounting at an angle?

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by atomicjoe23, Dec 15, 2011.

1. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

If you had a front-mounted radiator that was going to be mounted at an angle instead of vertically (due to vertical height restrictions) which way should the radiator be angled? I.e. the top of the radiator tilted toward the front of the vehicle vs. tipped toward the rear of the vehicle.

I ask this because I seem to remember something about some vehicles (a car in this case IIRC) the radiators are angled (due to packaging constraints) but the orientation of the angle takes advantage of a high-pressure area of air below the nose of the vehicle. . .

. . .would that high pressure area be present on most vehicles or is that high-pressure area created by the valance/front spoiler on the front of the car?

Thanks. . .hope I was clear enough. . .
  2. racer56

racer56 Well-Known Member

Tipped back. Make sure your burp tank is the highest point in the system.
  3. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

So you are saying top of the radiator tilted toward the rear of the vehicle. . .correct?

Thanks!

Care to expand on why. . .sorry, I like to know the reasons behind stuff and why people are doing what they are doing.
  4. racer56

racer56 Well-Known Member

You can mount a radiator in any orientation as long as you have a way to bleed the air out and it is recieving adequate airflow.

Most front engine race cars have radiators that are upright or layed back for airflow and packaging purposes.