1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Robert Shaw Thermostats?

Discussion in 'Shop - Miscellaneous' started by RRose, Jan 11, 2004.

1. RRose

RRose Member

Does Robert Shaw not make thermostats anymore?

2. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

Ryan,

From what I know Invensys purchased Robertshaw back in the mid 1990's. Then they sold off the automotive portion of the business to Cooper Tire & Rubber. Cooper might seem like a strange company to purchase a thermostat company but Cooper Standard is in the automotive business big time and sells a ton of related accessories so the thermostat addition fit right in. If you want a Robertshaw thermostat these days you'll find it under the Cooper Standard brand name. I purchased a Robert Shaw branded thermostat for my 2000 Dakota a couple years ago and the local Autozone carried them. I also know that Hypertech used to slap their name on Robert Shaw thermostats and sells them as their own but I don't think Hypertech offers one for the Ranger 4.0L.

Aloha

3. RRose

RRose Member

Thanks for the info Jeff.... exactly what I needed. Now I just have to find one. Last thing I need is for another thermostat to lock up on me in the sand!

4. TrademarkTim

TrademarkTim Member

What makes these thermostats better than the ordnary thermostat at auto zone? Just it dosent stick closed if it fails or other things?

5. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

Robertshaw thermostats have an almost cult like following. They generally flow more fluid than others and are more reliable than some cheapo generic one. It's like anything else... how about comparing BFG tires to a generic PepBoy futura? Lots of classic and muscle car guys swear these thermostats are the difference between running cool and overheating.

Aloha

6. RRose

RRose Member

Jeff's right..... its almost a cult thing.... I just hate CHANGE! and try to stick with the things that have worked for me.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Look up Stewart Components, they make water pumps and sell modified RS thermostats.

8. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member

I don't know what makes them better but they are. GM and probably some others used them for years. I have had a few Stant thermostats get stuck and they are name brand. Gates radiator hoses are another name brand item that, in my opinion, don't seem up to the standards of OEM. Sometimes the big automakers mess up some parts, but overall they are better than what you can get at your local autoparts store.

9. Rprice

Rprice Member

any websites that i can order one? i want to join a cult

10. pphat

pphat Member

11. DougM

DougM Member

Pep Boys used to carry them, check there.

12. RRose

RRose Member

i tried Kragen, Auto Zone, and Pep Boys... none!

Check this out! I called Cooper Standard directly... they said that they are having trouble getting a dealer on the west coast... so they are send me one directly, no charge!!! Because we want to keep out customers happy!! How cool is that!

13. UndercoverFab

UndercoverFab Member

autozone can get them, the tech guy from kenne bell was pretty persistant about me using only that brand thermostat.

14. Rprice

Rprice Member

Ryan you get a part number? thanks

15. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

I had heard that Cooper Standard (aka Robertshaw) had stopped selling to west coast dealers because STANT came in and basically took over the market. None of the dealers wanted to carry them anymore. Now that the Robertshaw name is pretty much history I guess people aren't as picky about what they run. I personally won't run any other thermostat and if Cooper is sending them out for FREE so much the better. [​IMG]

Aloha

16. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ok, just dont run one. Now lets hear all the reasons that you need one. Whether its right or wrong, i guarantee it'll run cooler without a thermostat.

17. UndercoverFab

UndercoverFab Member

only reason i run a thermostat is because i need heat in my car on the east coast and it never gets hot enough without one. usually just run a big washer as a restrictor in the thermostat housing on anything else.

18. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

Well we just had this happen before Glamis....we went to load the Piece up on the trailer and it got hot instantly....well the theromstat was stuck....it was late and the part stores were closed so we just took out the thermostat and went to Glamis.

Here is the problem with not running one my $.02 In sand the motor WILL get hot...it will run its normal 180-190 but IF the motor goes to like 200 or so it will not cool down very fast because the water is not in the radiator long enough for it to do its job....it just keeps cycling as fast as it can without cooling it down.

In Ocotillo the truck ran 160 all day the highest it got was 170....so its a give/take....

19. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

If you run no thermostat with a high flow waterpump you'll need to investigate the addition of a restrictor plate of some type to prevent exactly what Fish is talking about. If the water is just hauling [I have been warned] through the cooling system it's not really absorbing heat as it goes through the motor and then it doesn't have a chance to lose heat as it passes through the radiator. It's like putting your hand through a flame - do it quick and you barely notice the heat. Leave it there for a few seconds and you've got a nasty burn. Same idea with engine cooling. If you've got a tired old waterpump that can barely maintain flow running no thermostat probably isn't a problem. When my stock Chevy waterpump went out on the S-10 I replaced it with a wizz-bang Edelbrock high flow jobber and noticed an INCREASE in temps. I thought the crap that helped kill the old waterpump must've seized the thermostat shut causing the temp problems... well there was no thermostat installed and I decided to install one (a Robertshaw) and immediately the truck ran cooler than before. I guess it's like slow down to go fast. Is this the only case where more resistance = better cooling? Hmm..

Holley, Moroso, and a bunch of other companies sell special restrictor plates (they look like big washers) that reduce the flow without the "complexity" of a thermostat. If you don't mind tinkering with different sizes you can find what your motor likes best and kiss thermostat failure goodbye.

Aloha

20. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

Also the restrictor plate will increase preasure in the block. This will help prevent hot spot boiling. If you put a pressure gauge on the block you will find pressures far above what your radiator cap is set for.