SCORE/BITD Class 1000 (Class 10?) Engine Rules?

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by K-fab, Mar 22, 2006.

1. K-fab

K-fab Member

I'm in the process of building a new race car - newer version of the ride I've been beating about the desert the past five years (see link in signature below).

This vehicle is not really like regular racers - it's small, light and uses a belt drive CVT transmission setup. Think snowmobiles or Honda Pilots/Odysseys (not the minivans)

I have some questions concerning my engine setup and where it would land in the SCORE and BITD rules.

Engine:
    Yamaha RX1 Snowmobile engine
    Four cylinder, four stroke, 1000 cc - FIVE valves per cylinder - three intake, two exhaust.
    The engine's based on the Yamaha R1 crotch rocket bike.
    Fuel injection system - off the R1 bike. Four throttle bodies.

Properly tuned, it makes about 160 hp and about 120 ft-lbs of torque. (not bad for a 1200 lb car)

From what I've read in the SCORE and BITD rules, it sounds like, even though I'm down 800 ccs on displacement (two seater), the five valve setup shelves this engine.

Does SCORE or BITD ever take a "special look" a particular setup and allow it? Does anyone think that this powerplant may be allowed to race in Class 1000? (Score calls it Class 10, right? - sorry, I don't have my SCORE handbook handy - I left it in Phoenix, I'm in Cincinnati...)

I really want to step up from Whiplash and come join you guys in SCORE and BITD, but I want to remain in "Class 10". By the rules, I could run Class 1, but the idea of having to leave the line with the bigger cars scares me for the time being. (and I don't think I'd have a snowball's chance...)

Thanks in advance.
  2. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

The main problem you will have with SCORE is the rules state "automotive based engines". Another sticky spot could be the FI as the RX1's are carburated. If you use FI it has to be a factory set-up. For carbs you are limted to a single 38MM 2-barrel?
  3. Ramsey_ElWardani

Ramsey_ElWardani Ironman

No, it doesn't fit the rule.
  4. K-fab

K-fab Member

The 2006 RX1 engines (actually, Yamaha's renamed the 2006 four stroke sled line, but I can't recall the name) come with FI stock.... Who's to say I don't have a 2006 engine??? :rolleyes: :p

Automotive based engine....
    Yamaha made the engines for the old Ford Taurus SHO - so, yea, it's an automotive thing!!! :eek:

You've confirmed my worries... Drats.
  5. younggunracer

younggunracer Active Member

How about the Hiabusa motor thats what I was going to run in a 10 car. its 1.3l you can take it to 1650 or higher in a 2 seater and it will make anywhere from 200-250hp 160-180lbs tq. Thats of course after you port and polish the heads and do some tuning. Thats what I would go with. Heres a link to a builder http://www.carpenterracing.com/porting.htm go under his sport bike packages he has some great stuff!!!
  6. younggunracer

Even if you had a light like you said 1,200lb buggy with 250hp even if you couldnt race class ten I bet you could do pretty good at the Terribles cup in Class 1. You would have a better power to weight ratio(4.8) then a porter with 700hp.(5)
  7. K-fab

K-fab Member

I've been in Busa powered cars (Jay Largo's Desert Dog Off Road Coyotes) that are the same size/weight as mine.

I, to put it mildly, HATE that engine. - and the fact that I have to shift it made it even less fun.

The first three gears are totally useless - spin, spin, spin (yes, I understand throttle control) and you still have to have a chain driving the transmission I use - the chain burns up quickly. You can't get the output gearing from the engine to the tranny overdriven enough. I think the car was capable of close to 120 mph, but still - not the powerplant for me.

I appreciate the idea, though. :)
  8. younggunracer

Well I have seen trannys for them. Butting bigger tires you get less slip. Thats to bad though I had a gsxr-1000 and loved it and I rode a busa great bike but it wasnt in a buggy.
  9. Hemp

Hemp Member

an automobile doesnt neccessary have to be a car or truck

an automobile is a self-propelled vehicle capable of carrying a passenger
  10. prerunner1499

prerunner1499 Active Member

BS,, an automobile is a 3 or 4 wheel vehicle capable of carrying at least 1 passenger, powered by an internal combustion or electric motor.

If its got 2 wheels,, then its a motorcycle,,,,,, period!
  11. movindirt

movindirt Wham Spore

According to this a motorcycle is in the group Automobile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile

There you go K-Fab.. Really like the reading about your cars. Can't wait to see what the new motor can do.
  12. K-fab

K-fab Member

Hey, you two quit fighting! :eek:
    The engine is out of a SNOWMOBILE! - so there.... Puts that arguement to rest! :rolleyes:
  13. pedal2metal

pedal2metal Member

Your other issue might be what is currently your best attribute- your car being lightweight. If I remember right, class 10s must weight at least 1550 pounds, so putting a bigger motor in might not hurt you as it could bring you up to legal weight while giving you a legal motor with competitive power. You'd still be at an advantage over most every other class 10 because as far as I know, the Hunter car that Rob MacCachren drove at Laughlin this year is the only 10 car that sits right on the weight limit. If your car had the same power as the rest of the class 10s but weighed some 500+ pounds less (as most of the current class 10s weigh 2000 pounds or more by my estimation), then you'd have a great chance of success, as Hunter's car is still full of teething problems and rarely races. Good luck!
  14. HDRA1

HDRA1 The Godfather

two words Mini-Mag =no longer snowmobile motors been there done that
  15. K-fab

K-fab Member

Well, after a bunch of inquiries, research and such, it looks like the five valved setup I wanted to run won't be viable as a SCORE or BITD legal powerplant. Bummer...

It looks like I might be running a Honda 1600 Vtec instead. Vibrating beast... I'm still looking for alternatives, though. The one I have access to is supposed to be a ripping little powerplant. I need to make some phone calls and get specs.

Bottom half of the chassis is in process - jigged up this week. Wish I had pix.
  16. Chris_Wilson

Chris_Wilson Well-Known Member

Would it be cheaper to put a $6k LS1 in it and run class 1? Just wondering.
  17. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

Join the Air Cooled (VW)Revolution!!!! From what I've read, sounds like you have a lite car. Go with torque!! There is no weight limit in class 10.

Good Luck!
  18. Fourstroker

Fourstroker Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Air-cooled til I die...Or have a $hitload of money sitting around
  19. elmariachi

elmariachi Member

I think there's something to be said for small buggies such as these. I remember back in the mid 80's a company called Pro-ATV made a car that ran Honda Odyssey running gear (motor, CVT drive, etc.) on custom frames (I haven't been able to find anything on this company though - I know they were located in North Hollywood, CA. Anyone have any leads as to what became of this company?). I know they did run in SCORE sanctioned races (it was Class 43 I believe) and they ran with the three wheelers (this was before quads - see the attached picture).

I think a new class of cars limited in weight (less than 1500lbs. race ready), engine displacement (probably less than 1000cc), and wheel base (no more than 8 feet) would be a great thing for the sport. It would allow those on a tight/limited budget to participate and compete. Also, this could be a training ground for younger drivers before they move up to bigger, more powerful cars/trucks. I think this is also why you have the emergence of the Rhino/Ranger (UTV) class. These offer an inexpensive way to go desert racing - just too slow. I know these UTVs have completed in races but not finished under the posted time limits.

What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

20. movindirt

movindirt Wham Spore

Cool little car but it does say Susuki on the side so it may not be a Honda motor.