1. Forum membership has its advantages....

score SF250 2013 2-day racing schedule rumors?

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by geramata, Jan 23, 2013.

1. geramata

geramata New Member

I`ve recently heard a couple of guys mentioning that for this years san felipe 250 the bikes and quads might be racing one day before the main event.
    anyone has any insight on this?

2. Jacob7672

Jacob7672 Nimrod de Ashcraft

I think it's just the 500 and 1000. The 250 is short enough that it doesn't really matter.

3. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

The 250 will be the same day, they are looking at the bikes possibly doing a different single track course for parts of the race including coming into the finish to make it safer.

4. Chris_Wilson

Chris_Wilson Well-Known Member

I believe the most recent handlebar fatality during a SCORE event was at the SF250. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it involved a steering wheel.

5. AZ7000'

AZ7000' Active Member

I think a different finish or a different day could increase bike entries. I would never race on a bike as it is now but would give the 250 or 500 a go solo as an endurance race and not f up any of the race for the cars. I think others would try solo runs too.

6. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see that they are listening to me now. :cool:

7. klaus

klaus Administrator

In the past the bikes are finishing the race as the last limited cars take of the line. The first/last mile of the course is shared and travels in both directions. So what SCORE has done in the past is to interrupt the start to let the first 1 or 2 bike guys finish. Once its considered clear they continue to start the last cars.

This always seemed sketchy to me, but SCORE did a good job calling out the incoming traffic and then stalling the start procedure.

Glad some new solution is in the works.

8. BajaFand

BajaFand Well-Known Member

The only downside I see to having the races on separate days is that some guys like to prerun and shake down the race car on Friday before or after tech on the first few miles of the course. This has always been one of my favorite parts about Baja. Having the bike race the day before kind of eliminates that.

9. Baja Fool

Baja Fool Well-Known Member

2003, a sportsman rider was hit by a TT in the dust.

10. DanMcMillin

DanMcMillin Crane Motorsports

Renezeder in the Baldwin Trophy Truck I believe.

11. Baja Fool

Baja Fool Well-Known Member

Correct...

12. rustyb

rustyb Member

13. racer951

racer951 Well-Known Member

Heard a rumor about a 280 mile SF course this year. Any truth to that or is that along the lines of an alternate finish for bikes and vehicles?

14. DanMcMillin

15. Mark_Weyhrich

Mark_Weyhrich Well-Known Member

Agreed. It is 10 years later and we are still talking about the same issues. Something needs to change.

16. DanMcMillin

100% agree.

17. ace_photo

ace_photo GET SOME

Go early to prerun. Shake down the rig somewhere other than the race course. Lots of open desert out there.

18. Weatherman

Weatherman The voice of desert racing

Parker, AZ / P C I Race Radios, Signal Hill, CA
    Great look back! It encompasses the many solutions offered to shrink the problem. But it is still a problem until the handlebars are completely seperated from the steering wheels. The only real solution is to totally seperate them! Diferrent days! Different Checkpoint Workers, Spanish Newspapers building the excitement of a two day/longer event to keep the lookie loos off the course, during the event. Even using the 1980 Datsun roof mounted sound system to keep the locals off the course! Or running the steering wheel qualifing before the start of the handlebars. What ever it takes, this is the only way to have a safer race. The Parker 425 encompasses four days and brings more money to the community. Four days in Baha? If only they didn't jack the prices! Maybe four days would encourage them to give racers regular every day rates.

19. SAN FELIPE RAT

SAN FELIPE RAT Member

As a local, I can tell you that almost all of the toughest sections in SF already have single track in parrellel. Most are invisible unless you actually stop and ID them. I use them regularly instead of taking on the TT walls!