Shop billing rates???

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by atomicjoe23, Feb 28, 2011.

1. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

I was hoping that some of you guys that work for shop's wouldn't mind sharing your billing rates. . .

. . .what do you charge per hr for shop work? Do you charge the same for design work (i.e. SolidWorks time)?

How much do you mark up the material. . .20%???

Just curious. . .no one's ripping me off or anything like that, but I'm getting ready to do some work for a friend of a friend and he's gonna pay me. . .he said he would pay me standard rate for this type of work.

Thanks!
  2. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc Member

i charge $60ish per hr plus any materials , for materials i mark it up 20 to 30% plus any cartage fees for shipping the materials and such . for tooling if it is something really special and expensive i may add it on to the job but only a percentage of the cost especially if that tool/tooling can be used for other jobs and such , if the tool is for that job only i let the customer know the cost and ask if they are willing to cover 1/2 the cost or the whole cost should they choose to purchase the tool for their own use . some of my customers will supply certain tooling to be used for their parts . there are lots of tricks to running successful profitable business i,m still learning as i go and have been bite hard several times LOL comes with the trade LOL . i,d like to take some business courses to help me streamline things . at work the guy in the office has a Bachelors degree in Business i should pick his brain he helped take the business to the next level , he catalogs all our material purchases and by date and cost .
  3. atomicjoe23

Thanks Mikey. . .right now I'm just picking up odd-jobs from friends, but that's how things get started.

I need to TM and/or register my business name. . .

. . .right now I'm looking for a lathe. . .after that I will still need a CNC plasma table and mill, bare minimum. . .

. . .you brought up some good points, especially the part about the shipping and tooling costs, I hadn't considered that.

I was thinking of charging him ~1/2 of the labor rate here seems to be since I'm not a professional shop. . .so I was thinking $35-$45 an hour, he's giving me money for materials a week from this coming Friday so I'm not gonna mark up material cost this time. . .I need to get some good word of mouth going so I'm gonna hook this guy up as best I can while still making it worth my time and effort, it helps that I enjoy the work.

Thanks again!
  4. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

Around here...$60.00/hr is the going rate for fab work. That price assumes the customer comes in with a solid print with tolerances, i.e a cut and dry print. If they come in with an "idea" of what they want, most shops charge $45.00/ hr to draw a print. ALL shops around here won't do work without a print. The print is what the shop uses to prove the work was preformed to spec. Hope this helps.
  5. atomicjoe23

Thanks for that Wild Bill. . .I totally know what you mean. . .I get "napkin" drawings at work all the time. . .

. . .that's exactly what I was looking for, whether or not shops charge the standard shop labor rate for design work. . .

. . .with my current project I think there will be much more design time involved than actual labor time. . .the guy knows what he wants, but he doesn't know squat about suspension design, nor does he have the welding capability to notch his frame, weld the mounting brackets and make the links. . .so his room mate knows me and tells himthat I can do all of that. . .

I think it would be fair to charge him $45/hr. for the actual labor and then $30/hr. for the design work. . .same ratio as what you charge, but a little lower since I'm not an established shop.

Thanks guys!