1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Smokey Bear Blames OHV use for fires!

Discussion in 'Save the Desert' started by dezertchick, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dezertchick

dezertchick Well-Known Member

http://www.smokeybear.com/

Check out this piece of crap video.

More propaganda against us, like
    a spark arrestor isn't on the quads.

My letter of complaint is in the works.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  2. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

Smokey means well but yes perhaps needs some training in OHV regs, those comments need to be more specific, to-wards people that have removed their spark arrestor, or purchased a cheep "knock off" without a USFS approved spark arrestor...TJ

3. M_Solms

M_Solms Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of the 9 out of 10 fires caused by humans are controlled burns that turn into forest fires.

If the chick that turns into a bear is right shouldn't the entire desert be burned and black by now?

4. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

I'm not going to beat on them much for losing controlled burns, by the way there now called prescribed burns because the don't want to imply control, in people speak their admitting they can't control these fires. But what do we do about it, it appears nothing as we hold our breath, we ether take the risk the do prescribed burns when the conditions are right, or just pray arsonist don't do it when conditions are wrong.

Bottom line is we need to just bite our lips and do what we know is right, we need a responsible fuel management policy just like we need a responsible energy policy. Arsonist will take advantage of bad fuel management policy, just like OPEC and oil speculator's take advantage of our energy policy...TJ

5. Shazaam

Shazaam Member

Wasn't the lady that started the McNally fire a Sierra club member, that dumped the coles out of a bbq?

6. EMS702

EMS702 Rescue 1

I sent an email today in regards to the ATV commercial. I asked them how they can have a commercial like that and then allow a news report on how ATVs and UTVs are helping fire crews. Seems Hypocritical to me. I also stated that maybe they should have mentioned spark arrestors and the proper use of ATVs and UTV's.

7. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

Nation wide they need to impalement a reasonable fuels reduction program, not put out silly PSA's like this that frankly do nothing but destroy their creditability...TJ

8. Wayne_Nosala

Wayne_Nosala Well-Known Member

For the record,
    There is a Amy Granat CORVA director in th Northern Region

This is NOT the same AMY Grant that helped produce this video

Below is an Email I received from the CORVA Amy

Wayne

----------------------------------------------------------
    I am heartsick..and I need your help.

Unfortunately, the Ad Council person responsible for the Smokey The Bear video has a name somewhat similar to mine. Unfortunately, there are rumors that either myself or CORVA is in some way involved in this video. This is blatantly untrue, and very distressing.

If you hear these rumors, please dispel them immediately.

Just for the record, the person from the Ad Council is named: Amy Gibson-Grant

My name is Amy Granat. (My real name is Amy Jo - and I may have to go back to using it if these rumors persist!)

The names may be similar, but we are very different people. I would appreciate any help you can give. And please feel free to spread this email around to anyone who has any questions.

Thanks,
    Amy

9. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

[whois.enom.com]
    =-=-=-=
    Has there been any response from the Forest Service about this, have they lost all control of Smokey bear image and if so it could be a matter of Enforcement. The use of Smokey is Governed under Federal law, if it's a matter of misuse they need to deal with it, or at least state they have no control over this non Government .com web site. The AD counsel has always been an agenda based group (yes my opinion), that has high-jacked the Smokey Bear image for it's political agenda. We may need to challenge the Forest Service to just state it has no control, or affiliation with this non Government web site, and if they can't deal with it legally just disown it...TJ

http://www.symbols.gov/smokey/policy/use-misuse/2004_Smokey_Bear_Guidelines.pdf

10. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

I found what appears to be guidelines for Smokey's use and the AD counsel (above post), but is there any real MOU to legally allow this use of Smokey, in my opinion the AD counsel has stepped out of bounds. They are not using this just for fire prevention via simple omission of information, they are pursuing their own personal agenda by just telling all ATV users to stay home. Forgetting that most major responsible manufactures fit ATVs with spark arrestors, and provides nothing in the why of Education to determine if you ATV has a proper USFS approved spark arrestor.

See the thread on Pirate and please use the letter generator to help voice your opinion...TJ

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8505129#post8505129

http://www.pirate4x4.com/letters/

11. dan200

dan200 #BSF200

12. Mike @ pit b

Mike @ pit b #Mike@PlanB

This is what I sent:
    I have been riding motorcycles for twenty years. Two thirds of my life. I have NEVER seen an ATV or a motorcycle start a fire from sparks out of the exhaust. In fact I have never seen sparks come from the exhaust of either vehicle. Even when riding at night. When I do ride off-road I use a USFS approved Spark arrestor. Your ad is very disparaging and disrespectful to those of the off-road community. Especially to those that follow the laws. Please pull your ad as it is giving misinformation.

One more voice in the war.
    Mike

13. mustafa

mustafa Active Member

People are taking notice! I was watching Fox News this morning and they covered this story. They stated that the Blue Ribbon Coalition is requesting to have the ad pulled.

14. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

Smokey needs a chin check!!!! Letter sent. GRRRRRRR

15. steveG

steveG Well-Known Member

I won't bore you the entire letter, but this was part of mine.

"My children are well aware of who Smokey The Bear is and what his mission is. They are on board with the program, are intelligent and responsible. For them to see Smokey depicting them and myself as irresponsible and uninformed is disappointing to say the least. At minimum, it's a slap in the face."

16. MattV

MattV Active Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wEA5yx2B8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wEA5yx2B8[/ame]

A clever response...

But make sure you send a letter, too.

17. dezertchick

dezertchick Well-Known Member

OMG! That video is a great. Where did you find that?!

18. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

It's the Grizzly guys response to the PSA from the ATV Obsession site:

http://www.atvobsession.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2272&start=15

The making of the response video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZza688eHpk&feature=related"]YouTube - Smokin' Bear Bloopers[/ame]

I'd like to see some out takes of the AD counsels video...TJ:D

(The girl in this spoof is quite a sport, tech note the brakes on most mountain bikes are reverse of an ATVs, something to keep in mind if you want to cross over)

19. Scooterinvegas

Scooterinvegas Well-Known Member

I sent my email to the following people...

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    nhusband[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

20. TomJeeps

TomJeeps Active Member

The Pirate BBS is now claiming victory because without explanation is gone off the Smokey web site (which suites us just fine as long as it stays that way). However we should still keep after the F'S to pull Smokey ads from the AD's counsel, as they will always be trying to find ways to nibble at the corners, in the furtherance of their own agenda...TJ

Smokey Has Been Smoked!!!
    http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701874