1. Forum membership has its advantages....

snap on vs mac tools.NEED OPINION PLEASE

Discussion in 'Shop - Tools' started by ss415, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ss415

ss415 Member

so i have a opportunity to get these at a very good deal and need some opinion from you guys

option 1- snap on tool box- it is HUGE has 2 side cabinets and it is a top and bottom unit. guy says there was only 5 made in this box but it includes no tools box only for $15k. i have 2 friends who are snap on dealers in az and could get good deals from them. but i feel like it would take me 50 years to even come close to filling this thing up.

right now we live in your standard 2 car garage home but im planning on getting a large commercial garage for all toys and place to put in a lift to work on everything. and with that i would love to have a huge box. but i just cant justify getting a box for the price of a whole box full of tools that will fit in my current garage.
    should i plan for my future collection or go with the more practical option with the mac tools?
    let me know what you guys think or what you would do

option 2-mac tools maximizer box in allmost new conditionit is a lot smaller box. but it includes a full box of tools
    Grey Pneumatic 1/2" 26PC Socket Set w/ case, 10mm-36mm (1326M) $92.99
    Mac Tools 7-PC. 3/8" Drive Standard Flex Impact Socket Set 6 Point (SXUP72TR) $246.99
    Mac Tools 10-PC. 3/8" Drive Metric Standard Impact Socket Set 6 Point (SXUPM102TR) $370.99
    Mac Tools 3 lbs Antivibe Drilling Hammer (DH193AV) $43.99
    Mac tools Ratchet Comfort Grip Handle 1/2" DR (VR15PA)
    Mac Tools 12-PC. 3/8" Drive SAE Deep Socket Set 6 Point (SXD126TR) $227.99
    Mac Tools 14-PC. 3/8" Drive Metric Deep Socket Set 12 Point (SXDM142TR) $251.99
    Mac Tools 12-PC. Quarter-Turn Retaining Ring Pliers Set (PK1250) $279.99
    Mac Tools 13-Piece Impact Driver Set (SID13BA) $147.99
    Mac Tools 14-PC. 3/8" Drive SAE & Metric Hex Driver Set (SXA14B) $99.99
    Mac Tools 1/4" Drive 90° Gearless Angle Drive (AD482) $20.99
    Mac Tools 3/8" Drive 3/8" Gearless Angle Drive (AD483) $20.99
    Mac Tools Combination Drive Adaptor 1/4" - 3/8" (A812TS) $19.39
    Mac Tools Combination Drive Adaptor 3/8" -- 1 /2" (A1216TS) $20.99
    Mac Tools 8-PC. Metric T-Handle Speed Hex Key Set (SHKTBM8PT) $90.99
    Mac Tools 4-PC. Miscellaneous Carbide Burr Set (CB4S) $124.99
    Mac Tools 25-PC. Super Steel Punch & Chisel Set (PC25KSS) $494.99
    Mac Tools 12-PC. Metric, 6 Point, Reversible Ratcheting Wrench Set (SRWMO612K) $283.99
    Mac Tools 8-PC. SAE, 6 Point, Standard, Reversible Ratcheting Wrench Set (SRWO68K) $226.99
    Mac Tools Master Disconnect Set (MD4000) $72.99
    Mac Tools 25-PC. Screw Extractor Set (25SE) $107.99
    Mac Tools 7-PC. Power Extractor Set (PX7SET) $64.99
    Mac Tools Universal Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set (DBC2500MA) $143.99
    Mac Tools 0-6" Range Digital Caliper (DC61232) $77.99
    Mac Tools 19.2V Battery Pack (CI19212-BP) $121.99
    Mac Tools 3/8" Super-Duty Impact Wrench (AW3800M) $386.99
    Mac Tools 12V 3/8" Cordless Drill/Driver (CDD12038A) $208.99
    Mac Tools 19.2V Cordless Flashlight (FL190) $55.99
    Mac Tools 19.2V 1/2" Cordless Impact Kit with Removable Brushes (CI19212RBK) $437.99
    Mac Tools 19.2V Cordless Right Angle Drill Kit (CDA97575K) $378.99
    Mac Tools 3/8" Sealed Head Air Ratchet (AR778A) $329.99
    Mac Tools 1/4", Heavy-Duty Die Grinder (AG60) $159.99
    Mac Tools 76-PC. Tap & Die Set (TDCOMBO) $309.99
    Power Probe II Kit (PP219FTC) $152.99
    Mac Tools 12V 3/8" Cordless Impact Wrench (CI12038) $273.99
    Mac Tools 6/12V Circuit Tester (ET125D) $31.99
    Mac Tools Digital Multi-Meter with Backlit Display (EM710) $269.99
    (2) Mac Tools 10" Vice-Grip® Curved Jaw (VG10CR) $41.98
    Mac Tools 11" Vice-Grip® Locking C-Clamps (VG11SP) $33.99
    Mac Tools 6" Vice-Grip® Locking C-Clamps (VG6SP) $21.99
    Mac Tools 6" Vice-Grip® Long Nose Locking Pliers (VG6LN) $21.99
    Mac Tools 9" Vice-Grip® Long Nose Locking Pliers (VG9LN) $24.99
    Hougen Rota Cut Small Diameter Cutter Kits $80.94
    Mac Tools Master Crimping Set (TCT800_MS) $369.99
    Mac Tools 11PC Pliers Set (P11LRDC , P11LRBN , P11LRGS , P11LRGM , P11LRGL , P11LRNC , L11LRDB , PMLRNN , PMLRBN , PMLRDC , PMLNC) $249.99
    Mac Tools Light 6/12/24V LED Circuit Tester (ET120A) $45.99
    Mac Tools 3 x 10' Retractable Test Leads (RTL1129) $19.99
    Metabo Electronic Angle Grinder Quickprotect (Wep 14-150) $247.99

Attached Files:

2. mpower

mpower Member

whatever is more affordable to you . they are both great tools with good warrantys. id go with the tools . you can always add to the cart later on . ive always like the mac boxes.
    dont forget to look at other brands of tools as well, snap-on and mac are not the end all be all of tools. there are many other manufacturers that make a quality tool at a more reasonable price . but sometimes the tool truck tools are the only logical option.
    on another note , its nice to have multiple smaller rolling box carts . have one for hand tools , one for fabrication tools, one for specialty stuff, ect . its nice when you can just roll the cart to you instead of walking across the shop every time you need a different size socket

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member

I would go with the tools also. You can find boxes on Craigslist all day long, Depends on how big of a shop you are planning for if you are considering that big Snap On box.

4. ss415

ss415 Member

im going to be into it very little money either way. im planning on trading for a boat that i have so its a win win either way. you make a great point about being able to roll the cart near you. but on the other hand i feel like a massive box would be nice so i could store everything i own in to it and get a small cart to get out what i need and wheel to where i need it.
    what im getting at would be i guess the value of what they are. the snap on box seems like it could be anywhere from 25k++ as where this mac plus tools is only around 15k.
    im not a stickler for either brand and i know matco and craftsmen pro series,cornwell make great stuff to. i plan on having multiple companys in my box

How are the mac hand tools and pliers ive never used any mac stuff except a old socket set from my grandfather

5. idealer

idealer Active Member

flip a coin

6. ss415

ss415 Member

lol very logical explanation

7. racer56

racer56 Well-Known Member

The roll away is so much more convenient, you can even take it to the races with you.

8. 200MPHTape

200MPHTape Well-Known Member

I don't want to start a flame war, basically there are 3 major manufacturers that produce forged tools here in the US, Snap-on,Stanley and Danaher and they all make it with dif names in the stamp. You have to make the choice and do some research, you can get snap on and mac with a dif name for half the price.

9. ss415

ss415 Member

i guess im looking at it with a lifetime commitment to the tools and want to do it right and hand it down to my kids whenever i go.
    i just feel like for 5k i can go to my friend who is a snap on dealer and get just as many tools in the mac box. and i would have a really bad as set up for my shop.

what im getting at i just dont know how well the MAC hold up and i dont have any hook ups with MAC if anything were to go wrong with them.

does MAC give lifetime warrenty on air tools/electric impacts?

10. 200MPHTape

200MPHTape Well-Known Member

I got a good chuckle out of the leaving tools for your kids, so many things can happen before you leave this planet. Like they loose half of them before they move out, or, never use them because their afraid your going to yell at them, I gave up the yelling part and just ride them to wipe them off and put them away, now I know why my dad used to walk around the garage mumbiling "one day your gonna have kids and I'll be snickering". I have the tool box my Granpa left for my dad, and now I have my dads box, but I left that at moms so I have tools there too. If you use them for your livelihood I would go SnapOn, spend as much time in the garage with the kids, they aren't kids for long.

11. loufish

loufish Member

Look at it this way....You can afford a Snap-On tools box but not their tools also......you can afford a bunch of good tools, but not a Snap-On tools box also.....So here's bottom line....I would rather have a bunch of good tools in low budget box, then a hi end box with no real good tools....

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  12. blue dog

blue dog Active Member

Question for the OP, Are you a tech at a dealer or independent shop, or is the box for your own personal garage ? Having a rolling buggy aside from your main box is key to a tech. As stated before, there are lots of good USA made tools that are not truck brands, and the are every bit as good. Armstrong, SK, Proto, Wright, Williams, these are all good brands that are nowhere near the ridiculous price of Snap on. If you are young, do not get caught up in the tool truck hype and get into debt. Buy what you need as you need it. Search Craiglist, there are a ton of quality boxes out there to be had. If you are dead set on a new box, it is worth it to look at here.

http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/

The extreme boxes are awesome, yes they are chinese boxes, but, they are very well made, heavy duty, have heavy slides and will hold up just as good as a snappy or mac tech box, and look at the price's with free shipping. I purchased a 72" with stainless top that has 17 drawers, box is every bit as nice as my friends snappy boxes at a 1/4 of the price.

It always makes me laugh when guys think snap on is the end all be all tool company and they buy a $15,000 box to put there craftsman raised panel wrenches in.
    Buy good tools before you spend big coin on a rollaway.

And for the record, there is no longer a pro craftsman series, if you can find older sets of cman pro wrenches on ebay and such, they are great wrenches. Cman has outsourced just about everything overseas with the exception of usa series sockets, they are made by Danaher. Old v series cman stuff is good quality if you can find it. Go to sears and look at the COO on the packaging of the tools, you will be hard pressed to find anything made in the USA.

13. PDANK Racing

PDANK Racing Active Member

Go for the tools, spend the extra money on toys to fix with them.

14. ss415

ss415 Member

yea i went with the tools the box is a macsimizer a really nice blue with silver flake. every tool in the box was brand new. im very happy with my decision after seeing the box and tools in person i realized that it was bigger than i had originally thought. allready tore down my old yz 250 to bare frame and starrted in on the motor work and suspension. having a good set of tools and the right tool for every job has made any project i have so far that much easier. i tore down my bike in 1 night

Attached Files:

15. MADMILLER

MADMILLER Active Member

Very nice

16. burninfuel

burninfuel Active Member

If you want broken tools, use Snap-on. I have never seen so many broken tools waiting to be replaced by the vendor ????

17. ss415

ss415 Member

have had the mac set up for 6 months now and absolutely love every piece of equipment in the box. only downfall so far is my 12v spotlight needed a new bulb.

18. blue dog

blue dog Active Member

It is a since of pride having a nice box and quality tools, and yes, they do make the job easier. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

19. RVRKID

RVRKID Member

I just wanted to add that Mac's hardline has lifetime warranty and most the air and cordless tools are 1 year. If you don't have a Mac Dealer then you can always call 800-MAC-TOOL and they will let you know if the tool has a warranty and how to replace any brokens. Usually you just send your broken in and they will send you a new one back.