So Cal. BLM Otay Mountain Property - Don't let them close it down for OHVs!!!

Discussion in 'Save the Desert' started by Soylent_Green, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Soylent_Green

Soylent_Green Active Member

Probably not a lot of people know about the BLM riding area in the Otay Mountains, southeast of San Diego right up near the border. One of the reasons why is because it had been closed to OHVs for so long because of fires. There is a gated staging area on the east side of the Mountain and just south of the Border Patrol inspection on Highway 94. You can access some nice trails there and the Otay Truck Trail runs from one side of the mountain to the other. The truck trail is pretty much a graded road maintained by the Border Patrol, but there are some cool trails off of it and neat views of San Diego and Mexico.

I went with a group this weekend and talked to the Ranger in charge of enforcement there. He says that the BLM office that oversees this area is planning to close access to much of this area for OHVs and padlock the staging area any time now (he stated that the Truck Trail and some roads south of the Truck trail would remain open). He insinuated that their (not his) reasoning for closing the area is that OHVers give them too much work, it is a hassle dealing with OHVs, and “THE COMPETITION IS MUCH BETTER ORGANIZED”. It is not because of any damage caused by offroad vehicles (He did mention that it is a problem in the staging area that people park their vehicles in the meadows and under the trees and not along the road. He agreed that there are no postings that tell people not to park there and that adds to the confusion.)

Has anyone else heard of this Federal Property being closed down for offroaders?

Please, let’s try to keep this area open. Contact the BLM and let them know you support positive and legal offroading on BLM property in the Otay Mountain area and to keep open the staging area. Here is a list I have made of what I believe the proper contacts:

Office in charge of this area:
    Gail Acheson, Field Manager
    Bureau of Land Management
    Palm Springs South Coast Field Office
    690 W. Garnet Ave,
    P.O. Box 581260
    North Palm Springs, CA 92258-1260

Phone (760) 251- 4800
    Fax (760) 251- 4899
    (yes, as odd as it seems, the Palm Springs office actually has jurisdiction there)

OHV office of the BLM
    Jim Keeler, OHV Coordinator
    Division of Natural Resources
    Bureau of Land Management
    California State Office
    2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834
    Sacramento, CA 95825-1886

(916) 978-4654
    Fax: (916) 978-4657

The BLM Ranger stated that we should contact our Congressional Representatives also. I believe the Otay Mountain area falls under two districts – below are the contacts:

Representative Bob Filner
    333 F Street, Suite A 1101 Airport Road, Suite D
    Chula Vista, CA 91910

Phone: (619) 422-5963
    Fax: (619) 422-7290
    and

Congressman Duncan Hunter
    1870 Cordell Ct Ste 206
    El Cajon, CA 92020

(619) 448-5201
    FAX: (619) 449-2251

Am I missing anyone???

The Ranger was real cool and open about this. Please do not refer to him or “the Ranger” as your source of this information – I don’t know how the regional office looks on Rangers pointing the fingers at the office paper pushers, but I don’t want to do anything that could come back and haunt an offroad friendly BLM employee.

Also, if you haven’t gone out there and plan to check it out make sure you park along the main road within the staging area and not in the meadow and under the trees. This is protected wilderness and we have to stick to the roads and play by their rules. This includes riding out there. Also, don't bring your red sticker bike there this time of year and make sure you have your spark arrestor. Don't stage or ride on private property on the west side of Otay Mountains near the jail. Don't ruin it for the rest of us!!
  2. Dez_Annihilation

Dez_Annihilation Member

How about all of the rednecks who go out there to shoot there guns did they fix that problem? i've only been out there twice the last time was a little less than a year ago a little bit after that area opened for OHV's, but the last time i was there their was a bunch of guys out there shooting their guns and it scared the living I failed spelling out of me when we were riding on a narrow trail and we came up on two guys with shot guns in there hands.
  3. Soylent_Green

Soylent_Green Active Member

The ranger said that you can legally shoot there, but I don't know the rules and regulations of firearms and BLM property. We did see a small army of paintballers out there.
    I have been riding in Plaster City and come around a corner to find a bunch of guys with pistols. They didn't look like the shooters you see on OLN channel on TV either. It can be kind of scary.