1. Forum membership has its advantages....

So WHO is the protesting whistle dick?

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Zambo, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

Here is an important news flash for all BITD competitors. Evidently there is a rule change that has not been promulgated to the racers. The above rules, copied directly from the BITD rule book online, evidently are no longer in effect.

As of last night, here is the new procedure: Just get word to Casey that you think the winning vehicle might be in violation of a tech rule, and you can ANONYMOUSLY PROTEST FOR NO FEE!!!!! Also, whether you are in that class or not doesn't seem to matter any more because there is no requirement for Casey to identify who you are. Casey will then demand to have the winning vehicle stopped at the finish line and gone over by tech inspectors. If the vehicle fails tech that team will pay the price, but if it passes tech its no harm/no foul to the person or persons making the protest.

Anyway, that's the new procedure. Enjoy.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  2. gunit

gunit Active Member

Who was protested? What was the determination by the BITD tech inspector?

3. HSDMORGAN

HSDMORGAN Member

Shocking!!!!! Sounds like casey is again just making up **[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!** as he goes along. Again shocking.

4. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

The class 7200 RPM Geiser was check for width.

5. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

And just like when it got checked for weight at the SF250, it passed. And of course instead of collecting $500 from the protestor, they get to sit there at the finish for 45 minutes before anybody even comes up to them to start the inspection.

6. ProfessionalPitMan

ProfessionalPitMan Active Member

Before people let you get them all riled up since you were at home on your computer the whole time let me tell you a first hand experience. I was not out with a 7200 team this time around, but happened to be enjoying the finish line experience at the Mint while Harley, Lopez, and some others finished. And then came some 7200 trucks. Zambo said he doubts that Lalo finished on two different tires, but I was there and he did. All of the sudden there was some commotion about the truck, so like everybody else that was there, we went over and watched. If somebody had to pay $500 dollars, they would have been demanding a refund!!! Rules are rules. When some 7200 trucks, from i beam rangers to two different tube chasis trucks I have been with in the past, have been measured there is a tool used directly after the truck finishes. That 45 minutes gave the RPM guys plenty of time to work the system. I watched with my own eyes 4 guys lifting the bumper to droop the truck out and make it narrower. Then, I walked off to talk on my cell phone and personally saw a guy STAB the tire in question to make it go flat. Then the guys brought over a narrower tire and attempted to change it, but a BITD official put a stop to that. The truck was then measured at full droop with a tape measure instead of the tool that BITD usually uses. When the truck was set down some, the tech official came up with the exact same measurement. CRAZY!!!

So Zambo, since you weren't there, get the facts straight. I know you LOVE RPM, and they had a BAD ASS weekend!!! All of the guys I was pitted near were great, helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. That is not in question. But the actions at the finish line made them seem guilty to me! I was there. This is not a story somebody told me and I relayed what I wanted to hear over the internet. Caspino had some issues and Hogan had fallen a bit back. Lalo won the race no question in my mind! It was awesome watching the 7200 battle all day along with RG, householder and Mac battle. But the actions at the finish line were pretty bad. Lalo wasn't near the car when all of this was going down and isn't in my opinion guilty of anything but being a good, fast, clean racer.

7. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

Dude, I never said he didn't finish on different tires, in fact that is exactly what I said probably happened after he got a couple of flats so don't put words in my mouth. My post wasn't about what might or might not have happened at the finish line after they were informed of a protest. My post was about the protest itself and how it happened. The rules are quite clear, I quoted them verbatim above, do you dispute that? WHO was the official protester? Answer that question. You are right, I was not there to see who measured what with what tool blah blah blah. If you find anything in my post where I claim to know that info please point it out. If you are going to dispute something I say then try to use my actual words please.

Anyhow, any team would be going crazy after a race that they won trying not to let some gay protest take their win away. I don't blame them for being worried, that truck is built to the very fine edge of the rules. Did they measure it with the tires that it finished on? By your own statement they did. You say they measured it at full droop? Really, it was on jackstands with the suspension hanging? I'm sure you got cellphone pics of this process, no? I'd love to see the angle of the control arms when they measured it. Sounds to me like even with all the shady stuff you say went on that it still passed even with the bigger tires.

8. deano

deano McDeano

Bbbbooooooooooyyyyyyyyaahhhhhhhhhh ...........................

9. tofarnorth

tofarnorth Member

so what exactly are you bitching about. Do you think this is the first race car checked post finish without a official protest.

10. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

Seriously running a 1" wider tire would not have made you win this race. Pretty lame if thats what they were bitching about.

11. ProfessionalPitMan

I have a Gay cousin and a lesbian best friend. Way to be offensive.

Your post bitching about consistency is a joke. If Casey was consistent it would have been a DQ. If you wanted to see the angle for yourself should have been there.

Fish - Rules are rules. It was not an advantage. It was not and advantage to Hogan when the same thing happened to him.

It was measured like crap and it passed. Who cares. If you are going to post some long **[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!** about it in two threads then start a thread, then take some constructive criticism. Don't be a dick and offend somebody. Uncalled for.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  12. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

Explain the process to me. If I want a competitor protested, do I have to pony up 500 bucks and put it in writing like the RULEBOOK says? Or not? Is there a process at all or do we just make S&%t up as we go along in the 'sport?' Even the shenanigans that Pitman talks about in his post are evidence of a lack of process. The same lack of process that less someone protest with no repercussions lets a team crawl all over their vehicle before it gets inspected. This thread shouldn't be about whether the 7258 was legal or not, there are plenty of threads on that already. This is about the process or lack thereof.

13. ProfessionalPitMan

If it was a protest it would have happened right away. Not after the team could do everything in their power to change the width of the truck.

and to answer your question from earlier, if I had been protested, I would not be panicking unless I was fearful I was breaking the rule.

14. tofarnorth

tofarnorth Member

From watching on the net it looks like superb driving a excellent pit crew and a extremely well built race car won that race .

15. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

Unless of course we are talking about the rule regarding protests I assume. Then just do whatever is convenient.

Sorry you got offended so much about the gay thing. I suggest you never watch any TV, movies, or internet for your own safety. BTW, I live near Hillcrest in San Diego and have lots of gay neighbors and friends. Heck, I might even try it one day, you make it sound like a lot of fun.

16. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

No. If there was a legit process it would have happened in a controlled manner. And Yes, they were fearful that they were breaking the rule. They had wider tires than they normally run due to a shortage of spares. With the normal tires it has clearance, with the wider tires it is right on the edge. That's racing.

17. tofarnorth

tofarnorth Member

In my experience with other forms of racing (SCCA pro ACRL) the first 3 cars and 1 random car are always inspected post race . Off road is the only form of car racing that I know that doesn't check the winner. As far as competitor protests they are usually when you disagree with those original quick general inspections.
    With that said I don't think a car running a borrowed spare tire should cost anybody a hard fought win.

18. Cheater

Cheater Active Member

BITD doesnt check the top 3 not offroad in general. Most other promoters have a process for checking limited classes and rules.

19. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that, but I would also point out that in those forms of racing that practice is clearly spelled out in the rule book, no?

Somehow I don't think that if they were found to be .5 inches OVER the limit that PPMan would be bemoaning the fact that they didn't use the gauge.

20. green787

green787 Well-Known Member

Why is the type of sex someone has always an issue these days...?? Maybe Zambo meant the protest was a "happy" protest... I saw nothing in his post offensive...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.