1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Spindle question

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by dirt_bandit, Sep 21, 2005.

1. dirt_bandit

dirt_bandit New Member

i dont think a stock cast spindle should really even be welded on? but someone can correct me if i am wrong

2. Philip

Philip New Member

I have asked the same thing and been told different answers. I would personally never do it and would never reccomand someone else to do it. You really have to know what your doing.

3. Byrdman

Byrdman Asked to be removed

After welding to a stock cast spindle, like a gusset or other fabrication work, is it recommended to re-heat treat or just normalize the unit. I'm wondering because the spindle body is cast, and the plate or gusset is cold rolled steel- two different materials. I've heard a few different ideas, just need some imput before I send the units to a metalurgist.

4. mosebilt

mosebilt Member

forged spindles are ok to weld on (just pre-heat them),cast is no-bueno.

5. Byrdman

How can you tell if they are cast or forged? They are early Ranger spindles, once heated up properly, they welded very nicely.

6. MH20

MH20 Member

Rangers are all cast. What type of welding did you do to them?

7. Byrdman

MIG- I've seen some gusset work done to the stock spindle, especially re-enforcing the steering arm and plate work to use after-market calipers and if done properly, works just fine.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

I'll guess that cast iron vs. cast steel is being confused. Iron doesn't weld very well and would be pointless to try to gusset. I'd be very surprised to learn that a spindle was made from cast iron.

Cast Steel, on the other hand, should be weldable if the normal techniques used with thick sections and/or highly stressed parts are followed.

9. MH20

MH20 Member

I actually have a set of Baker spindles on my truck with exactly that setup on them and have yet to have a problem with them.

10. Byrdman

Thank you very much!!