1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Spindle question...

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by SLOChevy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. SLOChevy

SLOChevy New Member

San Luis Obispo California (central coast)
    Im making new arms for my truck but im using the Fabtech 3" lift spindle. Problem is I need to drill/ream out the holes (theyre tapered for the ball joints) in order to run uniballs. Question is can I? A few buddies of mine said it can be done, but wanted to get some more opinions. Im not sure if it is cast iron or steel? Also the lower hole is tapered to 1". Is there a uniball with misallignment spacers that I can run with a 1" bolt? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

"any advice" would be to NOT use those spindles for ANY offroad use especially when modified like you are talking about doing.

3. J.JOHNSON

J.JOHNSON Member

Listen to Matt on this one.

4. SLOChevy

SLOChevy New Member

San Luis Obispo California (central coast)
    Yea, you guys are right. After searching around alot yesterday that seems to be the general opinion. Back to the drwaing board. Thanks!

Anybody have some suggestions... In order to keep cost down, fabricating a spindle is about my only option. I read about a guy that has the same truck and used bronco snouts on his spindles. What about the newer 4wd chevy's? Are their spindle parts usable? Is their anyway to keep the factory brakes and hubs but to make the spindle? Thanks in advance.
    Truck is a 91 light duty C2500 (6 lug)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. RacinHam

RacinHam New Member

I am in the same situation, I want to build a arms for my 2000 Ranger and have Fabtech 3" lift spindles. Does any one know were i can purchase a set of good spindles to use?

6. xnoregretsx

xnoregretsx Member

camburg long travel spindles for the ranger would be your best bang for the buck
    call them up and see if they will sell you just the spindles

not the 5.5 spindles but the extreme performance kit spindles.
    chances are they will last longer than your truck will

7. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

There was a guy on DR selling a set of CST 4" lift uni-ball spindles for a 1999-2006 Silverado for way cheap. About 1/2 of the normal street price. Not sure if that would be a good foundation to start with or not. The CST spindle is fabricated from sheet steel, is designed to run a uni-ball upper and lower, and would allow the use of just about any higher-end bolt on Silverado snout. The downside is you'd have to swap over the parts from a newer truck to make it happen, which might not be such a bad thing.

Aloha

PS - don't even consider the Fabtech cast route as an option. Not even for mockup. CST used to have their customers hog out the Fabtech spindle tapers and it was a mess. Then CST started doing the machine work in-house on the Fabtech spindle, going as far as to weld on a double sheer plate to the cast piece. That idea sucked too. I think they still require their customers with the S-10 kit to do it and I think it's a really, REALLY 1/2 *** way of doing it.

8. 97silverado-runner392

97silverado-runner392 New Member

hey im in the same boat here as im thinking about having some custom long travel arms built (6 over on each side)for my 97 c1500 and was goin to use the fabtech spindles drilled out for uniballs. why is this a bad idea? also where could i get some spindles that would work. thanks

9. CRAFT Racing

CRAFT Racing Member

Doesn't someone sell a tapered bolt for that? I could have sworn I've seen one somewhere.

10. grgrs02

grgrs02 New Member

i wouldn uae the fbtec cause there cast and wont last after a few jumps go with the steel

11. 97silverado-runner392

97silverado-runner392 New Member

ohhh ok that makes sense thanks for the help

12. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

13. Paul Jacobs

Paul Jacobs Member