Spragless Turbo 400 Extreme Automatics

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by Nissanoffroad, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Nissanoffroad

Nissanoffroad New Member

Interested to know if anyone has experience with the Griner manual valve body in a Turbo 400 . This is a spragless setup. I have had a nightmare with the one I purchased from Lonnie Diers at Extreme Automatics. The trans blew up when first installed because of bad thrust installation. Since then it has fried the intermediate clutch pack twice. Can not run normal fluid level as it foams the fluid. Have to run at least 3/4 inch below normal (cold and Hot) levels.
    Also a nightmare getting anything out of Extreme Automatice in the way of warranty. Have been waiting a year now for him to send replacement parts not to mention about 100 emails. The other issue being he invoiced and said he'd build with an Alloy forward drum but installed a standard steel one. Rip off, Bad Service in the extreme!
  2. DSRacing

DSRacing Mini Metal MOD

There's your problem, he only builds transmissions for "Bahja trucks." On a serious note, it's hard enough dealing with companies who won't stand behind their products, even more so when you're half a world away.
  3. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of anyone using a spragless T400 off-road. A sprag allows the 2-3 shift to be a smooth, no-brainer, overrun while the 2nd gear clutch is still applied. Without a sprag, the second gear clutch has to release exactly in time with the application of the third gear(direct) clutch. If this doesn't go right, something will fry. Not saying this is the problem, but it could be.

Aside from all that, good sprag clutches can take quite a bit of horsepower and punishment, and are not all that problematic. Spragless could be the way of the future but it might be best to let others work all the bugs out. Sorry someone over here messed you up, but you might be better off having a knowledgable builder give that transmission a more conventional redo.