1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Steering Brakes ? (BUGGY DORKS ONLY)

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by clogking, Jun 17, 2009.

1. clogking

clogking Active Member

Ok Buggy Dorks!! Looking for input to put steering brakes in my 2 1600. Couple of questions.
    1. Do you have/use them?
    2. Does it have one or two handles?
    3. Where did you mount it?(behind, left or right of shifter)
    4. If one handle which way back/left froward/right turn or other way?
    5. Did you use solid line or some flex, or all flex
    6. Bleeding did you have trouble?

2. 07FJRog

07FJRog Well-Known Member

I put these on two buggies, bleeding was a pain. I only ended up using them to load it onto the trailer! :eek: lol I had so much fun driving, that I always forgot I had them. jajaja

3. sickdayz

sickdayz Member

1. Yes, they are a must for tight situations
    2. Two handle
    3. Behind
    4. N/A
    5. Solid line
    6. No

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  4. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

Could we some pic's of the different set-ups???

Maybe tell us how you went about doing this. . .I don't know very much about turning brakes, I only recently found out that there is some sort of valve that controls the fluid flow so that if you press on the foot brake fluid goes to both calipers, but only allows the fluid to one caliper or the other when you use the turning brake lever. . .

Who makes these valves as well?

Thanks!!!

5. sickdayz

sickdayz Member

Go to this site http://www.pacificcustoms.com/6STEERINGBRAKE.html and click on each of the 3 brands (CNC Jamar and Latest Rage. This should give you a start.

6. atomicjoe23

Thanks. . .I'll check it out!!!

7. Muddi44

Muddi44 Member

Joe
    There is no specific valve as such, it is a function of the design of a standard master cylinder or cutting brake. In the neutral position both inlet & outlet ports are open therfore it acts as an extension of the brake pipe. When operated the inlet port is closed in the very first part of the travel, thus isolating the cutting brake from the rest of the braking system. The cutting brake then acts as a simple hydraulic sylinder & pressurises the single caliper.
    I prefer to use a single lever as you cannot get hold of the wrong lever in the heat of the moment. (don't think it wont happen to you, most people I know who use the 2 lever system admit to doing this)

Tim

8. atomicjoe23

Muddi44. . .I agree with you 100% on the single lever. . .one less thing to have to keep track of!!!

Thanks for the explanation. . .

9. Ramsey_ElWardani

Ramsey_ElWardani Ironman

I wouldn't race without one. I use a CNC single handle on my 1-1600. Pull for right.

10. clogking

clogking Active Member

thanks Ramsey. I was waiting to hear from you. How is it mounted?

11. OffRoadGeorge

OffRoadGeorge Member

I just added one to my car. The best thing I have done. Wow does it make hard turns easy. makes it so you can gas thru the turns. I have single handle on the rith side, I should have put it on the left so it would be impossible to grab the wrong handle in hard whoops.

bottom line just buy one!

12. offroadracer

offroadracer Member

We had one in our short course buggy. I believe it was a Niel, with one handle. It was on the right side by the shifter.
    The lines were run so that when you pulled it back, it would lock up the right rear. Thats kinda how I would remember, right rear. After a while though you don't even have to think a bout it.
    They work great for pitching the car into the corner's, but it is still a break whitch means your slowing down.

13. standfast

standfast Member

My buggy is live axle. I steer with the throttle. Turning brakes are for cars with open differentials. Just thought I would clarify that for people that don't know.

14. Wendell #527

Wendell #527 Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm surprised at the positive response on turning brakes. They were fun in the sand, but I took mine out. IN desert racing I didn't have enough time in turns to use it because my right hand is downshifting going into a corner. I only have one right hand. Offroad George said to put it on the left side, but man, it would be tough if you were down shifting and trying to hit the turning brake at the same time. Hats off to you guys that use them effectively.

15. Jerry Zaiden

Jerry Zaiden Well-Known Member

1. Do you have/use them? Yes, a must have in a buggy. Can't explain how well it works to set up turns at slower speeds...
    2. Does it have one or two handles? Single, easier to drive...
    3. Where did you mount it?(behind, left or right of shifter) next to the shifter to the left....
    4. If one handle which way back/left froward/right turn or other way? What ever works best for you...
    5. Did you use solid line or some flex, or all flex Both
    6. Bleeding did you have trouble? No...

16. motorbreath

motorbreath Member

Not that i'm an experianced race car guy... but i've had cutters on my last two baja bugs (primarily desert use... with little or no sand.) and I love em'. As everyone else has said, tight corners are much less a problem. Its fun to yank the car sideways when the need arises... and I don't think anyone has mentioned the ability to use it as a sort of "limited slip" to transfer power away from a wheel that is buried or high centered off the ground.

I seem to be the only guy on here who likes the dual handle brakes though... I have no problem grabbing the correct handle...

And for mounting, you forgot, "in front of" I have since swapped to a slightly shorter height shifter, but this placement is great for me. Its close to the steering wheel and the shifter, and I can use the entire throw of the handle without elbowing the wife in the jaw... (she gets awful pissy about that...)

[​IMG]

17. atomicjoe23

Something to consider for those who are concerned about not having enough hands to grab the cutting brake when shifting. . .what about foot pedals. . .might get crowded with a manual, but growing up on the farm our tractors had the cutting brakes operated by footpedal. . .you might need to get used to it, but I'm sure you could throw two clutch pedals down there to the left of the brake pedal and just run the linkage from pedals instead of from levers. . .I personally haven't seen these things close up, but I don't think it would be that hard to do. . .and you would probably get pretty good at it with an automatic. . .

. . .just a thought and possibly another option. . .

18. De Ranged

De Ranged New Member

If its a two seater... why not give em to your navi to look after, thats how we setup the trials trucks drivers got enough to worry about
    Its a site to see watching a truck going hard on two wheels round a corner with the navi holding the uphill wheels locked so they can keep the drive to the wheels on the ground, can make huge difference in the timed speed sections...

Cheers Reece

19. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

"They are tough on diffs," said Ed Beard and Jack Woods.

20. sickdayz

sickdayz Member

I'm with you, i like the duel handle...
    I disagree. How is it hard on the diff?