Supercross 2012

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by Waldo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Waldo

Waldo Safehouse

Well... Anaheim #1 is about a month away and we need to get the ball (shat-talking) rolling. Thoughts on who will dominate, battle, breakout, etc...

Majority of races are to be aired live...

Eleven of this year's 17 round of the AMA Supercross Championship will be aired live, according to a release issued today by Feld Motor Sports, the promoters of the series.

The package includes 11 live broadcasts on Speed and and nine hours on CBS Sports.

For the first time in the sport's history, Speed will broadcast live coverage from the following 11 races: Anaheim I, Phoenix, San Diego, Arlington, Atlanta, St. Louis, Daytona, Indianapolis, Toronto, Seattle and Las Vegas.

"The last few seasons of Monster Energy Supercross on Speed have provided great storylines and fantastic racing," said Speed president Hunter Nickell. "Being able to deliver a record number of races live on Speed in 2012 is a testament to the growing interest in the series and the commitment to continue that growth by our partners at Feld Motor Sports and the team here at Speed."

CBS Sports will provide next-day coverage at Los Angeles, Oakland, Anaheim II, Houston, New Orleans and Salt Lake City. In addition, CBS Sports will air a Monster Energy Supercross season preview on December 25 at 2 p.m. (Eastern), a Monster Energy Supercross special on February 26 at Noon (Eastern) and a season recap show on May 5 at Noon (Eastern).

"On the heels of the greatest season ever, the increase in live coverage on Speed, and the network coverage on CBS Sports is another step forward for the sport," said Charlie Mancuso, president, Feld Motor Sports. "This elevates the riders, the sponsors and the sport to a higher level and provides the loyal fans the most comprehensive television package Monster Energy Supercross has ever had."

Host Ralph Sheheen will be joined by color analyst Jeff Emig with Erin Bates set to return as pit reporter.

In 2011, television ratings on Speed increased 24 percent, which included eight live broadcasts, up two from 2010, and CBS Sports provided nine hours of network coverage that yielded a 21 percent increase in ratings, according to Feld.

In addition, the series was broadcast in 181 countries. Highlighting the international interest was a 66 percent increase in Australia, home of former two-time Supercross class champion Chad Reed.

The following are the airdates of the series.

Air Date Venue City Network Time
    12/25/2011 Supercross Preview Show CBS 2:00pm ET
    1/7/2012 Angel Stadium Anaheim, Calif. SPEED (Live) 10:00pm ET
    1/14/2012 Chase Field Phoenix SPEED (Live) 9:30pm ET
    1/22/2012 Dodger Stadium Los Angeles CBS Noon ET
    1/29/2012 Overstock.com Stadium Oakland CBS Noon ET
    2/5/2012 Angel Stadium Anaheim, Calif. CBS Noon ET
    2/11/2012 Qualcomm Stadium San Diego SPEED (Live) 10:30pm ET
    2/18/2012 Cowboys Stadium Arlington, Texas SPEED (Live) 9:30pm ET
    2/25/2012 Georgia Dome Atlanta SPEED (Live) 7:30pm ET
    2/26/2012 Supercross Special CBS Noon ET
    3/3/2012 Edward Jones Dome St. Louis SPEED (Live) 9:30pm ET
    *3/10/12 Daytona Int'l Speedway Daytona, Fla. SPEED (Live) TBD
    3/17/2012 Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis SPEED (Live) 7:30pm ET
    3/24/2012 Rogers Centre Toronto, ON SPEED (Live) 7:30pm ET
    4/1/2012 Reliant Stadium Houston CBS Noon ET
    4/15/2012 Louisiana Superdome New Orleans CBS Noon ET
    4/21/2012 Qwest Field Seattle SPEED (Live) 10:30pm ET
    4/29/2012 Rice-Eccles Stadium Salt Lake City CBS Noon ET
    5/5/2012 Sam Boyd Stadium Las Vegas SPEED (Live) 10:00pm ET
    5/6/2012 Supercross Season Review CBS Noon ET
  2. trentk

trentk Member

I might be crazy but I swear ticket prices went up. Second deck section I normally sit in for Phoenix used to be $55 i think. This year it is $85, those are the pre BS fee prices. SO after all the fees it is over 100 to sit in the second deck in some areas. :(

I will be rooting for Dungey on the underdog KTM this year. But I just want to see some good racing.
  3. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

i am really wanting to see the dung to well on the ktm as well as roczen.
    the other guy i hope does really well is conard, he deserves a good year!
    js7 will be fast as usual but can keep keep it on 2?
    i think that cr's best years are behind him, but i said that at this time last year.
    rv will be very hard to beat!
    lites should be great all year! tomac, wilson, roczen, baggett, and anyone else on a green bike!

going to be a great year of racing!
  4. Mike @ pit b

Mike @ pit b #Mike@PlanB

I'm just glad 11 races are going to air live! That's awesome! Twenty or so years ago you'd have to wait until the following Thursday night to watch it on ESPN2. Finally getting the respect and coverage it deserves.

RV is going to be tough to beat next year. Same team, same bike.
    CR should start the season better, now has a factory bike all year.
    Andrew Short should be up there, back on a Honda with lots of factory support.
    JS7, new team, same bike. Still fast?
    Josh Grant, little chance up front. New bike, new team, to much time injured.
    Dungey, new bike, new team, Roger in his corner. Did great at the Monster Cup. Underdog with speed and talent. Wild Card.
    Trey Canard, same team and bike, fast when he's healthy and a threat for wins. Hopefully can go all season.
    Broc Tickle, same team, new bike, first year in 450 class for rider and team.
    Josh Hansen, wont last past 6 races.

Lites class, Pro Circuit all the way.
  5. ceballos

ceballos Member

I'm rooting for TC and Dungey... Have always rooted for JS7, just hope he can keep it off the ground.
  6. ceballos

ceballos Member

TC with a broken collarbone???
  7. Mike @ pit b

Mike @ pit b #Mike@PlanB

Guess I spoke to soon.
  8. Rhinestone Cowboy

Rhinestone Cowboy Can i ban pdailey?

Yup..maybe we will see Partridges footage of TC hittin the deck

Was really hopin trey would keep it together for this coming season. Few plates and hell be good to go for A1
  9. tapeworm

tapeworm Active Member

This will be a make or break year for JS7. He threw the championship away last year when villopoto almost matched his speed. If James doesn't go into Ricky Bobby mode, He is really strong for the championship.

Villopoto has confidence, a super solid 2011 behind him, and a bike that handles better. He will be up front for sure, but can he be the first one to get back to back championships since Carmichael?

Reed will always be fast. He will have a better start to this season since the team is in place and has experience. If he doesn't get frustrated, he is a serious contender for the championship. If he goes into depressed mode, he won't even finish it.

Dungey is taking a risk racing on a brand new bike on a relatively unproven team. I say unproven because they have no race wins in the premier class. It didn't work out for McGrath, will it work for Dungey?

KW will get a win in 2011. One of the most consistent riders with the best style of all time, he is due. It will be a crazy season and he will have a win handed to him from the front runners at some point.

Andrew short will be a solid top 5 rider, maybe even be on the box. His real skills are outdoor's, so I don'tt expect anyting special from him yet.

Justin Brayton will be a dark horse in this fight. He will be able to challenge the best this season. He will probably win a couple of heat races, but most likely not a main event.

Treynard has a broken collarbone after riding supercross for 2 weeks. He won't be in the title hunt unless he shows up to A1. If he shows up and tries to race fortop 5's and podiums through the first 5 races, then goes for wins, he will be in the championship hunt at the end. if he doesn't show up at A1, he will play the spoiler all year long.

Grant will be a top 10 rider for 11 races before he is hurt again. No wins for him.

The H&H team will be up front at the first few races during all the chaos of the first few rounds. Then fade into the shadows until Vegas where they will have special bikes and flashy gear and be talked about again. I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them went on to win A1.

The lites class will see Musquin riding the west coast. K-Roc is rumored to be there as well. Kenny will get wins, but no championship.

Mich hasn't announced which riders will be on the west coast. Tyla isn't a championship contender indoors. Bagget will be after last year. Deano is rumored to have broken the wrist again so I can see him back east once again with Durham. Durham will be super fast on the best bike in the class, but can he keep it off the ground?

Geico Honda broke ties with Mitch. They are completely changing the program. Will the new parts hold up to Barcias style? He will ride the crap out of the 250 now since hes used to more power. Will he be the fill in rider for Canard at the west coast races? Tomac will be in title contention. Can Will Hahn quit breaking bones to finish out the season? If he does, title contender.

A1 will be surprising as always. I am going to say the winner of A1 will not be the champion. A1 may even be the only win of the year for whoever wins it. I say the championship contenders will break out of the pack at A2. Whoever wins Louisiana will carry thay momentum through the rest of the year for the championship.
  10. Waldo

Waldo Safehouse

Thanks for the insight...
  11. troyharper

troyharper DA Meatball

Villapodium!!!

Just remember, "I told ya so!"
  12. Rhinestone Cowboy

Thanks Mathes....tell pookie i say hello
  13. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

sure is quiet with only 2.5 weeks to go before a1!
  14. GunnSlinger

GunnSlinger Captain Buzzkill

Justin Brayton is ganna shock some people for sure... I hung out with him and some other factory Honda guys at the test track and JB is going to turn some heads for sure!

A Honda rider will take the championship!
  15. Rhinestone Cowboy

jajaja...thats funny
  16. MXShea

MXShea MX know-it-all

I must have missed the funny part..?
    There are several riders on Hondas who can win championships.
    There is one on a Kawasaki that can.
    Brayton has already beat RV on his factory Kawasaki last year on a Yamaha.
    Short beat him last year on a KTM.
    This year they're on Hondas.
    Reed and Canard beat him on their Hondas last year several times and it is HIGHLY unlikely that the luck this year will be the same. (good and bad)
    Who knows, he could win it again or Dungey could win it, JS could win it...it is definitely not laughable though, that a Honda will win.
    Bummed for Canard (as usual) but looking forward to the series.
    A1 is always weird
  17. lil manny

lil manny Member

I say James has it as long as Reed doesn't try and take them both out again. Rv is fast but js just has that ability to check out on everyone kinda like McGrath and Carmichael used to do!
  18. Mike @ pit b

Mike @ pit b #Mike@PlanB

See I think JS is more focused now that he's on a team that he has no part in running. I'm sure Gibbs has told him no shenanigans like last year. He seems much more comfortable on the JGR bike than the L&M bike too from what I've seen. And that he has a 3 year deal and is riding the outdoors I'm sure he's been putting in the work. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out of A1 with the win.

I'm sure Millsaps has upped his game too. He'll want a ride in 2013 and this is gonna be a make it or break it year for him. He wont be topping podiums, but I'm sure he'll be making some top 10's.
  19. woundedyak

woundedyak Mammals fear me

If it rains at A1, K-dub for the win! I think this is the first thread in a long time were everyone pretty much agrees on something! What's going on here?
  20. lil manny

lil manny Member

Well here's your first disagree! I don't think k-dub can match the speed of the younger guys anymore.. However if it rains I say RV takes it.. Ive always been a k-dub fan but IMO I have seen him a significant slowness in him last couple of years.. The only way he pulls a win is when something happens to the main contenders