1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

The Mayhem RG alluded to at the driver's meeting

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Zambo, Nov 23, 2010.

1. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Joey..... Bravo!

2. LORENZ

LORENZ Well-Known Member

It sounds like you saved a life Kent. My hats off to you and your team.

3. WideOpenMotorsports

WideOpenMotorsports Well-Known Member

Our sport is currently under the microscope at this time and we should all remember that.
    Regardless of what race or country we are currently at, we need to be safe and responsible.

Re-read the above quote and remember that a life was saved by individuals who did not think of themselves first. These are honorable men.

4. blacksheep

blacksheep Well-Known Member

actually it happens everydAY IN THE US. UNLICENSED AND UNDOCUMENTED people causing mayhem. whether its car accidents or flat at murders . the one thing that i can say us nationals are not down there commiting murder intentually

5. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

nope..us nationals kill em' here and go down there and hide. and they do it inten.............on purpose.

6. swu chase1

swu chase1 Well-Known Member

well said how is in man hurt dose anyone know

7. Jerry Zaiden

Jerry Zaiden Well-Known Member

Wow!! Kent and Jeremy excellent job, my hat is off to you guys!

8. 1450-ranger

1450-ranger Well-Known Member

+1 You guys are top notch.

9. troyharper

troyharper DA Meatball

Does anyone here know how the victim is?
    Please say a prayer for him & his family!

10. Jessaca

Jessaca Well-Known Member

Kudos to these guys!!

11. Kent Kroeker

Kent Kroeker Well-Known Member

Here's an update and some lessons learned:

The gentleman who was trapped in the car is named James Lamb. After we returned from the 1000 and put the horses in the stable, I made a couple of calls to local trauma wards inquiring about his name and injuries. I wanted to know if he had made it out alive. In a couple of minutes I found him and spoke with his mother who said that after several surgeries he was in stable condition and that doctors had been able to save most of his arm.

On Thanksgiving SaraMae baked a pumpkin pie and we brought it to him in the hospital in San Diego. His mother, father and wife were there with him. We found out that James and his family had been in Baja working as Christian missionaries, building shelters for the poor. That's what they do on family vacation - they help others. James' full time job is construction and on the side he helps special needs kids.

They called Jeremy and me, "Angels" which proves that we were not drinking Tequila at Paris the night before the incident.

Anyway, this is a family of fine Americans. It's always especially tragic when it's the good guys who get crapped on by fate.

Here's a link to a web page that's updating his progress: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jameslamb

Immediately after James had been loaded into the Medevac vehicle we held our internal debrief. A debrief is done after every mission and is essential to capture lessons learned, so you can improve the next time. Usually you talk about the good things first in order to reinforce habits, then you talk about ways to improve.

I won't go into all of our nit-picking internal details, just the general points that are germane to this forum.

1. As we were preparing to depart our hotel to prerun, Jeremy asked me, "What extra gear do we need?" My response was something like, "Nothing - this is going to be no big deal - a routine drive on a benign public road." His response was something like, "Did you just hear what you said?" To which I responded, "OK you're right - throw some extra stuff in - like some more tools, parts, tow rope, survival gear - whatever." The truck already had a good military first aid kit inside, as well as some basic tools, however, Jeremy will continue to ruthlessly ridicule me for the rest of my life over the statement, "this is going to be no big deal."

The point is that while we're guests in-country and everyone is jacked on C12, Mountain Dew and Tecate, everything we do matters and everything is a "big deal". Have that mindset.

2. Get the latest medical training. Spend the time and money on it. It seems that if you have the training and you're confident in your abilities, situations unfold in front of you all the time. In the last two years I've had over 30 hours of civilian and military EMT refresher training and have been involved in numerous incidents. Jeremy has had even more recent trauma training and experience than I have. As we debriefed I found out that some of the protocols I used on James were outdated and are no longer used.

Get medical training and stay current. How many of you know that today's CPR protocol means chest compressions only?

3. James' brother was the other passenger in the car. He suffered minor injuries but came out OK. During a phone conversation with him he asked me, "At any point did you think James was not going to make it?" The answer is no. Besides knowing how to perform basic mechanics on the human body, this may be the most critical element to success. And this is something difficult to teach and may only come with experience.

No matter how totally f-ed up a person is, you cannot let yourself or anyone around believe that they're done - or they will be. Word choice is critically important - praying in front of them or saying, "hang in there buddy" doesn't work. Makes the casualty feel like they're getting their last rights or something. I had to drag Johnny Campbell away from Chris Blaise during that incident - praying right in front of him. THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU DO. Don't get me wrong - praying is fine - whatever - just don't do it in a manner that can affect the psychology of a critically-injured person who is in a foreign country hours or days from competent medical treatment. Once you've done all you can do to stabilize their body, all the power/will to live comes from their own mind and everyone around believing that they can get that last rep.

One time I had a guy on a mountain in Nepal whose resting pulse rate was a fluttery 180 - this was at 20,000 feet, seven days of hiking and a plane ride from Kathmandu where there is no good hospital. Do you tell a guy in that situation, "Hang in there buddy, I'm going to pray for you"??? No you don't.

After James was stabilized, I took his pulse. He had lost so much blood/pressure that I couldn't get a reading from anywhere on his body. At that point it was all up to his courage/will and those around him to calmly believe he was going to be OK.

It ain't over until Fate, the Metaphysical Daddy or the Puppet Master decides to shut it down. Until then, no matter how bad it is, you've seen much worse and the dude is going to be fine.

If you are the on-scene commander and people are looking to you for leadership, it's up to you to get everybody in the area thinking in the right direction and keep them pointed that way until it doesn't matter any more.

Now, with permission from the Lamb family I'm going to post some photos that depict the results of what I consider to be heinous disregard for common sense.

Attached Files:

(+17) 17 people like this.
  12. ProLite13

ProLite13 Well-Known Member

Anyone willing to get involved like that is a hero in my book for sure.

13. WickedGravityVideo

WickedGravityVideo Well-Known Member

Wow... intense stuff.... solid post, Kent... major respect for you. Thanks for the update. Mr. Lamb was extremely lucky to have you cross his path in his time of need. Sending best wishes to James for a full recovery... also hope he is financially covered.

14. PAB

PAB 40's rock!

Wow! All caps

kent and jeremy you be bad arse

15. Wild bill

Wild bill Well-Known Member

Kent,
    Your heroic efforts and willingness to follow up will bless you in many ways. This thread alone has taught me many things. You willingness to share this experience shows the person you are. I pray that all parties involved seek and receive forgiveness and that this experience never gets revisited.

16. MADTERROR

MADTERROR Well-Known Member

will the responsible party be liable for the bills that Mr. Lamb will incur?? or will they just walk away?

17. baja rudy

baja rudy Well-Known Member

Incredible is the word.

incredible that someone can be so irresponsible (I believe is not the first time either).
    incredible that Team KORE did such a great rescue.
    incredible that the persons are in recovery.
    incredible events...

18. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

real heroes are hard to come by these days. you men jump to the front on the list. it's strange how for mr. lamb, that this was both the unluckiest and luckiest day of his life.

19. amazing_ricardo

amazing_ricardo Active Member

...amen...

20. Desert Math

Desert Math Member

Kent, my hat is off to you and the rest of your team for your selfless action. Any suggestions where I can get a little more training than the basic first aid/cpr that I have?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted