The "Official" Dakar 2013 thread

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by Ferrari333SP, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ferrari333SP

Ferrari333SP Well-Known Member

2. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Active Member

Re: Dakar 2013

Finally released? Seems pretty early to me. Crossing back over the Andes twice likely means long liasons and potentially rally roads (bad for Robby), but lots of desert in Peru and Chile (good for Robby). I got the following email from ASO this morning:

The 35th edition of the Dakar will also be the 5th to take place on the South American continent, which has hosted the event since 2009. From 5th to 20th January 2013, the competitors will follow the route between Lima in Peru and Santiago in Chile, with a rest day planned at San Miguel de Tucuman in Argentina. The desert will be on the programme from the first days of the rally, for the first time in its history.

Several weeks ago, the riders and drivers on the Dakar discovered the Peruvian version of the desert. Struck by its splendour but also its technical demands, in this setting of sea and sand, they experienced a highly intense sequence before the finish in Lima. For the next edition, the Peruvian capital will play host to the start of the rally, with the promise of holding an exceptional challenge in store for those who take part; one that is simply equal to the test they have to face each year.

At the end of the journey, the rally will finish for the first time in Santiago. Chile, which, in the Atacama, has been the theatre to most of the unpredictable developments during the last four editions, will have the opportunity to celebrate the heroes of the Dakar in its capital city. Over the thousands of kilometres that they will have to tackle, the competitors will distance themselves from the Pacific Ocean as the event is spiced up by a detour via Argentina. On the other side of the Andes Mountains, the variety of terrains will put all the competitors’ capacities to adapt to the test.

With a reworked spread of difficulties and a new perspective on the discovery of the continent’s geography, the Dakar 2013 is emerging as the event for which both the elite and amateurs of the rally raid discipline prepare all year long. Registration will open for all the categories (bikes, quads, cars and trucks) on 15th May.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Haha, I'm just excited to see the new course. Does it not seem a bit short? I guess because it doesn't start near BA next year, it just for some reason seems shorter. Hopefully it means longer race stages and short liason connections(ugh I hate how long they are). Whatever the case, it still looks pretty challenging, and can't wait as usual to see how RG does once again, and whether we'll see Citroen take on the challenge or not.
  4. Ferrari333SP

How I entered in the wrong link I'm not sure, but here is a picture of the route:

[​IMG]
  5. Dirty Harry

The past few years the race has started with REALLY long liaisons across the pampas of Argentina. This spread out the field and weeded out the vehicles that were not road worthy. Peru has dunes basically right in Lima though, so now they don't need the long liaisons. Don't. E fooled though, this isn't short. They still cross the Andes twice and go further south in Chile than they have previously.
  6. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

flying down to lima peru is a heluva lot cheaper than buenas aires too. anyone wanna go?
  7. wheeli

wheeli Funny Guy from the North, eh

''yup''
  8. randy s

well, flying round trip out of tijuana to lima is under a grand. tj is a cool place to fly out of because you avoid alot of the horsechit homeland security stuff you go through flying out of the usa. i mean they have fair security checks but none of that shoe bs. they treat you like human beings. not like terrorists. i wouldn't fly out of us airports for all the farms in cuba.
  9. Dirty Harry

Chile just got hit by another big (7.2 magnitude) earthquake. They cannot seem to get a break down there!
  10. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Starts on the 5th? That's kinda strange, no?
  11. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

Crap! Now I have wait another week.
  12. DarrenSkilton

DarrenSkilton Active Member

The organizers gave all the Dakar competitors a survey at tech inspection this year asking if we wanted to start on the 29th Dec. or 5th of Jan. They want to start and finish on the weekends and the 1st falls during the week next year. Dakar always crashes right into the holidays so I am thankful for the little bit of a break this year.
  13. randy s

flying down there after the new year sure is less expensive. airlines bump their fares for the holidays.
  14. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Cool.. RG can have a proper birthday this year. haha.
  15. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

After 12/12/12 does it really matter?
  16. blue dog

blue dog Active Member

was not sure what thread to ask this, Has Gordon ever commented regarding having a windshield like in the humbuggy vs not having one like in the trophy truck, As well, racing with a full face helmet and open face. Just curious if He has ever voiced an opinion one way or the other regarding the subject and what he prefers one way or the other.
  17. randy s

i haven't heard any commentary from rg but having a windshield and door windows would surely help alot when the a/c is blowing ice cold on hot south american afternoons. wipers too..there's nothing in the rules that says he cant put a windshield in his tt so i suppose he's happy about the way that's set up.
  18. blue dog

blue dog Active Member

was just curious if he has ever commented on the subject. Randy, are you saying that the Dakar truck has A/C.
  19. 9five9

9five9 Active Member

The Dakar hummer I not the only race vehicle he drives with a windshield
  20. randy s

yep..sure does..as long as the rules say that you have to run a windshield and door windows, then why not be comfy..no rule against running a/c and it's toasty down there in the summer.