The Road to Dakar - Robby Gordon

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by klaus, Dec 1, 2005.

1. klaus

klaus Administrator

2. picone

picone New Member

Big Tires! They did a ton of work to Cam's old car.
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  3. SnowFarmer

SnowFarmer Member

Maybe someone can answer this for me. How different is Dakar from say the Baja 1000? Aside from time is the actual terrain the same? Sand, rocks and such?

Speed Channel does an AMAZING job bringing that race to life on the television and I always enjoy watching it. What I get from watching is that its less a race and more of a prolonged torture.

Also I want to mention I was very sad for team KTM last year. That was horrible.

Thank you to anyone that can tell me more.
  4. JGOLDEN

JGOLDEN Member

Are those 37" Toyos on 15" wheels?
  5. mattb

mattb Active Member

I got to hang out with Jean Louis-Schlesser a couple of times, and he said Baja was MUCH rougher than Dakar racing. It is definately and endurance race with a very strong emphasis on navigation. From what I understand, the Spanish sections are the closest to any Baja racing, and from there on out, the biggest concern becomes the endless sand dune sections.
  6. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

so that's why Robby spends so much time in Glamis... Dirk was probably worried he'd find a good double in Tunisia somewhere...Go Robby!
  7. 1450-ranger

1450-ranger Well-Known Member

Posted on desertrides by '951prerun'; glamis pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. El Ranas

El Ranas Well-Known Member

What!!! that truck looks amazing :eek:
  9. gomer

gomer Member

not really...
  10. Bryan_D

Bryan_D Active Member

Another from desertrides. Anyone know why he isnt running his own shocks? Looks to have kings on it.
  11. scoobs

scoobs Banned

So is he racing that at the 500/1000 and Andy racing the truck?
  12. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but, didnt the spy photos on Robby's web site show 2 spare tires standing upright? I tried to go back and look but the photos are not on his site any more or they have moved them some where else. The above photo's show a spare mounted on the outside of the body. Last minute change maybe? Also I would figure the reason Robby is using King shocks is probably is because you need to bring alot of spares and it is more cost efficient to buy them from King then to have to make three or four of everything.
  13. Hog Wild

Hog Wild Active Member

14. Chase 2

Chase 2 Well-Known Member

Could be a total of three spares with two mounted as seen in the "spy pics", and one mounted outside.

Yeah, that and his shocks were the reason for problems at the 1000. They may not have had time to re-engineer, build, and test the fix of the problem in time.
  15. ShaneR

ShaneR Member

I don't think the pic in the shop with the two vertical spares is the same vehicle at the dunes. The buggy(Cam Theriots old car) they were supposed to be using to do this was a rear engine and the pic with the body on it looks to be rear engine?
  16. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

From what I can tell that's a pretty old pic posted.
  17. David_Girdner

David_Girdner Member

In the 'spy pics' I only see one inside vertical tire, I assumed as everyone else did that there were two but only see one... Could it be the the engine is offset to the right (passengers side) and there is just one vertical tire on the inside left? All of the close up Glamis pics only show the right side but in the very first pic of this thread, it looks like there is a tie down on the left side of the rear cage...
  18. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

The one on the back is for when he brake checks Jutta on the Liason part of the stages. This way Robby can test her rack and pinion again.
  19. TRAVISD

TRAVISD Member

If You Look At The Right Side Pic From Glamis You Can See A Spare Tire Under The Back Of The Body.
  20. 1469

1469 Member

looks like exhaust to me.

Attached Files: