1. Forum membership has its advantages....

TORC attendance this past weekend?

Discussion in 'Shortcourse Racing' started by spalind, Oct 27, 2009.

1. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

Just curious...how many can the stands at LVMS hold for a short course event and how filled were they this past weekend?

2. Slash01z

Slash01z Member

Friday looked a little low but Saturday was packed! My guess would be 8,000-10,000.

3. havahockey

havahockey Flipper

I wouldn't say Saturday was packed, was better then Friday but still a lot of open seats. No way it was 8-10k.

4. baja619

baja619 Well-Known Member

Need to address the dust issue before another race takes place there.

5. spalind

Called LVMS...they have no idea on the attendance as they just rent the facility to TORC and it is all dependant upon how many bleacher stands are brought in, which LVMS has nothing to do with...so the only ones who know for sure are TORC themselves...

6. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

Agreed. Saturday was much better than Friday though. Vegas dirt sucks.

Friday was a little light in the bleachers but Saturday was pretty packed. I heard that the grandstand capacity was somewhere in the range of 12-14k?? I would say it was at about 75% capacity just from a glance. They sure put on a helluva show though on Saturday night. I'm sure the people in the stands went home satisfied.

7. philsmike

philsmike Active Member

Look for TORC to not race on Friday nights in the future. Probably Saturday and Sunday nights similiar to the other series, or if early or late enough in the year, on the West Coast, daytime racing.

Of course would have to step up the pre-event watering/maintenance.

Vegas' Friday night attendance was the best (except Crandon) Friday night attendance of the year. Saturday was probably about 8,000.

8. GunnSlinger

GunnSlinger Captain Buzzkill

.... can i ask a weird question.... and i apologize if i come off rude, but why are you asking this?

9. anonymous

anonymous Member

Vegas has one of the highest foreclosure and employment rates in the country this year and people are moving out of there like crazy so if the stands were even half way full thats a good sign!

10. LORENZ

LORENZ Member

I'm sure he's writing about it in NISMO blog.

It's called journalism at it's grass roots. Frankly we need to get back to it as a nation. Big time Journalist are somewhat of a joke these days, there's very little investigating, and a whole lot of Parroting. I applaud him for it.

11. spalind

Don't apologize, it's a legit question...I could be trolling for whatever info I can find to portray TORC in a bad light...but I'm not.

#1—I'm a Nissan fan and on a fairly regular basis I send along an email to all the top brass at Nissan that have their emails in the public domain about how some of the people out there still running Nissans, despite their almost complete withdrawal from motorsports, are doing. In this case I was bringing Casey Currie (1st and 3rd this weekend) to their attention and wanted to accurately detail the # of people his performance was seen by in person. Sure they probly put me on their spam list by now and never see my emails...but, you never know, and I just can't bring myself to quit trying...

#2—I can't stand being given incorrect or innacurate information. CORR is a primary example. For months the public was fed a line of "We're fine, we're fine, things are great, no worries, we'll be here next year, blah, blah, blah" or we have the NORRS example which is pretty much a complete sham despite their protestations to the contrary. In this case I wanted to make sure SOMEONE had some relatively accurate figures on attendance so that an accurate portrayal of the state of the short course world can be made if others start trying to blow smoke about one series or another...

That's it...hope I satisfied your question...

12. spalind

Thanks! I appreciate it!

13. hoeker

hoeker Well-Known Member

from the LVMS website: 9400 permanent seats. in addition to these there were 3 sections of bleachers that were mostly unused and the monster and redbull VIP hospitality suits.

Track Facts
    Configuration:
    Surface:
    Seating:
    Lighting:
    Power:
    Water:
    Parking:
    Restrooms:
    .5-mile
    Banked
    Clay oval
    Musco broadcast quality
    Available*
    Available*
    Infield and midway
    Various areas

14. speedfun

speedfun Member

I wander why the LOORS series is getting more fans than the TORC races?
    Anyone have any thoughts? Why?

15. MeFirst

MeFirst Member

Are they in fact drawing more people? Not doubting, I just don't recall the comparison in numbers. In any event, LOORRS isn't touching the attendance at Crandon.

I think it's the way they treat the sportsman classes. A large percentage of the butts in the seats know someone racing. LOORRS treats the sportsman as an important part of the show. TORC has priced out a lot of the sportsman.

16. Steve_Naughton

Steve_Naughton Active Member

If it weren't for Crandon and Bark River, TORC would probably be out of business. Crandon and Bark River are the only things they have going for them. And it's not because TORC made them, but because those places have been building and growing long before TORC came around. If it weren't for Crandon and Bark River, TORC would be a little $12 a night local roundy-round dirt track series.

17. 450grl

450grl Well-Known Member

LOORRS has continually drawn in a solid stream of people - especially at the Speedworld rounds. I don't know about other venues, but they market the s h * t out of races out here in AZ - I hear commercials on the radio and see them on TV for over a month before the races.

18. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

Last time I checked, oh yeah cuz I was there, perris was a packed house the last race. Crandon an bark river will always bring in the huge numbers and torc was smart getting these races on their schedule. I would consider the attendance at las Vegas a success. as I also recall, because I was there, the First lake Elsinore race had A LOT of empty wedding chairs. Just sayin...

Point is, both series are doing just fine and will only get better.

19. Steve_Naughton

Steve_Naughton Active Member

Out of all the races I've been to this year, Crandon was the biggest. The second biggest was Lake Elsinore #2 (the night races.) Then Phoenix, then Bark River. I wasn't at the first Primm, so not sure how that was. But I will be at the upcoming Lucas Primm finale' on Nov 14-15. I think the Lucas Oil Challenge Cup event (in December) will be one of the biggest events of the year next to Crandon.

20. eric2448

eric2448 Member

I can say as far as San Diego, TORC was the winner for marketing the race in Perris. A local country radio station was giving away tickets for days almost every hour leading up to the 2nd Perris race. Dont recall seeing any ads for Elsinore down here, only LOORRS ad Ive seen was a tv commercial for the season kick off in Primm, not sure why the aired it here in San Diego.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009