Toyota 22re engine??? Is it a good engine?

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by atomicjoe23, Feb 13, 2010.

1. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about a buying a 4WD Toyota Tacoma from a friend and turning it into a street legal, recreational desert vehicle. I think he said it has a 22re engine it. . .I don't know squat about Toyota's.

Is the 22re any good (reliable) and would be a good choice for a recreational desert vehicle?

Also, where can I learn more about this engine and who makes parts/upgrades for it to make more power (eventually. . .I don't want to concentrate on power from the get go, I wanna make a good, well balanced truck first with a good suspension system first. . .after the suspension is sorted and I am comfortable driving it then I will worry about making more power).

Thanks!
  2. classified

classified New Member

The 22re is a good engine if you keep it close to stock. It's when you try and make power the reliability goes out the window. IMO they are costly to build for the power and reliability you get. I just sold my 22rte (22re turbo) engine after destroying the third head and lce cam. That will be the last 22re I build for myself.

If it's a Tacoma (96+) it has either a 2RZ 2.4l or 3RZ 2.7l 4cyl or the 3.4 v6. If its older than '96 it's got the 22re. If its got a 22re and you want more power don't waist your money on it, just do a swap for a 2RZ or 3RZ they're basically a bolt in.

For performance parts check out http://www.lcengineering.com/
  3. atomicjoe23

Thanks Classified. . .that's good info and good to know. . .will probably work out better for me too. I can just drive the 22re as is and then be building a better engine on the side and by the time I'm ready for more power I should be done with the engine build.

Thanks for the link too!
  4. The_buggy_man

The_buggy_man Member

It's a great motor! Your spot on about power it doesn't have much but it goes. Total chaos makes plenty of stuff for the suspension. As far as adding power there isn't much to do about that at least not that I know of if it's efi anyways but if has a carb you can put a weber on it. In my opinion Toyota is a great choice if your going the mini truck rout.
  5. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

Tell us more about these motors and swapping them into the place of 22RE's in 86-95 Toyota pickups, please.
  6. Mike @ pit b

Mike @ pit b #Mike@PlanB

22re is a built proof engine. Will run all day long. Sure it lacks power, but it makes up for it in reliability. One of the best motors Toyota ever made.

Here's a link if you want to "race it out"

http://www.lcengineering.com/
  7. classified

classified New Member

It's a pretty easy swap as long as your replacing the 22r. If your starting with a v6 truck you'll need to make engine mounts and get an adapter for the v6 trans.

The 2rz 3rz engine harness will plug right into your chassis harness and the ecu is physically the same, and mounts in the factory location. The engine mounts are almost identical just a slight angle difference, that is easily corrected. For the trans, the 2rz 3rz bellhousing will bolt up to the W-series trans, and is the correct length. The v6 trans or R-series trans uses a different bolt pattern. Marlin makes an adapter for the R-series Or you can use a bellhousing from a 2tr 2005 and up Tacoma 4cyl. The only problem is the 2tr bellhousing is too long but it can be machined down to the correct length.

There are little details like power steering lines will have to be made and a couple other things. All and all its about the easiest swap for a Toyota.
  8. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

If you going to swap motors find a 18RG they are the chit
  9. FCORR

FCORR Member

I race on a 185k mile stock 22RE, it has an LC header and a K&N filter, I run no gauges (except a voltmeter in the GPS) and the motor has NEVER given me a problem after 4 years of desert racing. We placed 9th last year in the MDR Night Race in 1450, in a class with unlimited rules and over 55 entries I would say we did pretty well considering...
  10. Travisfab

Travisfab Active Member

I love my little 22R, moves my truck along great.
  11. redline

redline Active Member

22r's are great engines! you can get could power out of them you just have to make sure you or who ever is doing the work knows what they are doing and researched and just takes the time. LC sells some really good parts but don't ever buy anything they have put together! They will scam you anyway they can!
  12. Bajated

Bajated Active Member

22RE is the fuel injected version of the 22R, reliable as a rock, just change the timing chain every 150,000 miles or so, because it will get loose and wear through the back of the water pump housing at 225,000 (as me how I know). They are torquey but don't plan on running 12.5" wide tires, even with low gears. I'd recommend 33x10.50's max, after that you'll need a 5VZ (3.4L V6, also reliable as a rock).
  13. DSRacing

DSRacing Mini Metal MOD

The 22R and RE are by far the most reliable engines Toyota ever built, I had three pickups with both the 22R and RE engines and never had a problem. All of them had well over 200,000 miles on them. When I sold my 92, it had over 350,000 miles on it. The only modifications I made was installing 4.56 gears in the rear end.
  14. atomicjoe23

Thanks BajaTed!
  15. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

I was just remarking how smooth my 92 22RE idles, and it still pulls strong to 5K
  16. FCORR

FCORR Member

Here is a video of the truck...gives you an idea of what a stock motor sounds like with the header, intake and a Spintech race muffler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
  17. atomicjoe23

Thanks for the video. . .I especially enjoyed the commentary from the peanut gallery!

The engine acutally sound really good for a "smaller" engine.
  18. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

22R's are great truck motors. Performance motors they are not. I have built and blown up many. A 3.4 motor swap is a way better way to go.
  19. 91yotaprerunner

91yotaprerunner Member

I run a built 22re and have great success with it. It has held its own with v6 motors, supercharged motors, etc, and it never skips a beat.

LC engineering is ok, but if you want a no bullsh** place to talk to hit up tim at TCR automotive (toyotaperformance.com) he has been around toyotas and racing longer than most anybody and has built my motor. I am pretty sure most people that have seen my truck know it doesnt slouch in the power dept. And i run 33 12.50s with only a 4.88 ratio.

[​IMG]
    dont mind the spike, it was a fat finger typo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. BCarr

BCarr Member

Simple answer -> "yes"

Hey 91yotaprerunner...the cool hardware pics remind me of a good time past...thanks Sir!

Peace, Out, BCarr