1. Forum membership has its advantages....

toyota forklift trans question

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by Wild bill, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

I bought a used toyota forklift to use around the shop. I bought it as is with a broke transmission pan for $500. The pan was cracked out and I machined a new one from a 1" aluminum plate. The toyota forklift dealer said to use dextron trans fluid. I poured in 7 quarts, and the trans shifted fine. I drive it home about a 1.5 miles. It ran and drove fine. I checked the fluid levels the next day and found the trans full but the fluid looked like pepto bismol. Any insight on the cause of the fluid pink and milkly color? Water in the torque convertor? The was no metal in the fluid but trace amounts of sand after I drain it.

2. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member

The first thing to figure out is if the ATF is pink from water or pink from extreme foaming. I would put some into a clean clear glass and see what it turns into after a few hours.

3. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

After a day, A jar of the fluid is red on top, pink in the middle, white on the bottom.

4. FABRICATOR

I would examine the white stuff as well as possible. Was the beast sitting outside for while? If so, you could try replacing the fluid and re-checking.

Some forklifts have a cooler for the converter, sometimes as part of the radiator. If you can find a cooler you can remove the oil lines and pressurize the engine cooling system to look for leaks.

5. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

The forklift was outside all winter. The pan had a 4" square hole in it. If water got into it, could explain it. I refilled the trans with fresh fluid and it milked up within 5 minutes, but not as bad. The trans works fine otherwise.

6. FABRICATOR

Water may have migrated into the converter and elsewhere. It would'nt cost much to try a couple more flushes. You could probably test it with 4-5 quarts instead of 7.

7. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

That's the plan to run it a while longer and change the fluid with 5 qts. I called my transmission builder and he said that even a teaspoon of water would cause it the milk up the fluid. He also commented that there is very little that could go wrong with that transmission and not to worry about it.