1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Trans rule meeting at BAP.

Discussion in 'Class 9' started by DMaurer1899, Feb 17, 2012.

1. DMaurer1899

DMaurer1899 Member

Attention Class 9! If you have any stake in the class, you need to show to the BAP driver's meeting. There will be a transmission rule discussion and a class vote immediately after the driver's meeting for SNORE Board of Director's consideration.

If the class wants the change, this meeting will show it and SNORE will react accordingly!

2. Shred918

Shred918 Well-Known Member

Is there anything that can be done for people who cant make it to the race?

3. Maxwell_99

Maxwell_99 Active Member

Oh I'll be there for sure if that is being talked about. Like to bring some other things up too...

4. mrmatt

mrmatt Well-Known Member

x2...

5. 3 Amigos Racing

3 Amigos Racing Well-Known Member

I would add that even though BAP is proving to be the most popular race for the class, MORE is the more popular series and since SNORE is using other promotor race venues (including MORE) any decsion regarding a trans change must include MORE series racer votes obtained from a MORE event.

Better idea could be to invite both MORE and SNORE promotors to agree by using thier sign up sheet records the last two years to send a mail ballot out to all driver of records who have competed in the last two years at a MORE/SNORE event and share that vote info and create a new "shared"rulebook both series can use.

SCORE is the standard for the class and I dont know if it really should be or not.. MORE/SNORE rule the class.

6. htown916

htown916 Member

It's not like MORE has a much higher average car count than SNORE for class 9. If you average the last 2 years MORE averaged 9.666 cars per race and SNORE averaged 9.333 cars per race. And I never heard anyone saying "hey, we need the SNORE racer's to chime on this vote" when MORE voted recently on a potential change in the class 9 trans rule. Just sayin..... I really don't care one way or another what happens with this vote. I don't break transaxles!! I do feel it would be more economical in the long run, and would eliminate the possibility of "suspision". If you just open the rules to type 1 swing axle 4 speed with reverse, vw gears of any mfg. and any R&P ratio of any mfg. Then we can have a 2nd gear that isn't such a dog. lol. People aren't going to have 5 different boxes for every type of course out there, if they had that kind of money they would race a different class, at most they will have 2, one for short course, and one for long desert races. Alot of guys have that now, they run a 4.375 R&P for short races and a 4.125 for desert. BTW I am planning on running my new box til it grenades to see how many races I can get out of it. Hopefully, it will be a whole season plus! Time will tell. This is by far the best class in the desert IMO and I have met some of the best people around by racing this class. I cannot wait to see everyone at BAP, lets go racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. 3 Amigos Racing

I would disagree on the statment SNORE / MORE race avereages...throw out BAP and yuo will get the real averages.. and SNORE is sharing races this year with the other promotors..
    I would raise hell if that is the only vote method.
    I agree on the rest of the statement and also would encourage SNORE-MORE and perahps HDRA to create on go to book for the class.

8. htown916

htown916 Member

It's ok to disagree. But, the only fair way to look at it is by looking at averages. If you say, who has more class 9 cars race each year, the answer is SNORE. I am not suggesting SNORE should dictate the class rules, all I'm saying is both organizations have great class 9 participation. The only difference is MORE has the same 10-15 guys race most every race and SNORE has a smaller turn out on most races with big turnouts on a couple of races per year. If you really want to do things fairly you need to include all organizations and everyone who has a car in the class should have a vote. But I still never heard anyone making this argument when MORE had their vote. And that's ok, MORE wanted only regular MORE racers to vote for what they wanted for their series and that's what they did. Once Jim made that clear I asked for my vote to be removed, it never was. It's all good, I don't think the class should be all divided, and have different rules here, there and everywhere else, that's not good for the sport. You are probably never going to get the promoters agree to it but the best thing I can think of would be to have a registry on the Class9.net website or some other designated venue and let everyone who is a 9 car owner cast a vote on rule changes.

9. DMaurer1899

DMaurer1899 Member

For the record, there are many considerations SNORE must keep in play. The vote at the up coming driver's meeting will be a big influence on the direction SNORE takes with this issue, but the board of directors reserve the right of the "final say."

As for any other topics at this meeting, I've only prepped the Board of Directors for the trans topic... I don't see any harm in it being discussed after the trans issue discussion, but I make no promises for action on anything other than the trans.

10. Maxwell_99

Maxwell_99 Active Member

Lok at the recent class 12 rule change though. One one organization went for it they all kind of went along. I don't think this is a huge change in the way things are done and neither are the other rules I want to bring up. I think all it does is make our class better and easier. I personally think people are getting false information about the trans as far as what it does, will do, and how much it costs.

11. Shred918

The question has never been answered is there a way for drivers to be heard that can't attend the meeting?

12. DMaurer1899

DMaurer1899 Member

Email me. DMaurer1899 at hotmail.com

I can't cast a vote for you, but I will voice your concerns at the discussion before the vote.

13. 3 Amigos Racing

Here is my concern as I will miss this race:

I would raise hell if that is the only vote method.
    I would encourage SNORE-MORE and perahps HDRA to create one go to book for the class.

14. Shred918

I hear what you are saying Dave but I dont think they will ever all come together like that. I do however think that if one does the rule change the rest will follow we have seen it a few times in the past couple years. Ecotec 10 cars and the ford 12 cars to name a couple. These are of course my own opinions and worth nothing.

15. mrmatt

mrmatt Well-Known Member

I personally don't believe that to have a vote at one particular race with one particular promotor is the right way to go about discussing any rule changes. It seems kind of like a backdoor way to get a rule changed with out all the racers input. I also do not think that this is something that should be changed by one promotor and hope that the other promotors follow suit. It would divide our class greatly if one series allowed the change and another did not

It is not like this is a topic that nobody cares about. We obviously all have different opinions on it and I for one would not be too pleased if my vote were not counted. I have been a full time 9 racer for over 4 years. The March MORE race will be the first MORE race I havent raced in over 4 years. I was going to race BAP as well unitl I lost my motor in Jan and haven't worked in almost 3 months.

I think that the better way to get this hashed out is to once again have the racers vote on it. Then if the majority vote is too make a rule change, then take it to the promotors.
    What would everyone think about trying to oraganize a class 9 meeting to try include all class 9 owners, regardless of the series they run to discuss and cast votes?

16. Slang

Slang Active Member

This is the discussion before the vote, the racers don't get a vote only a voice. The board votes on rule changes or keep it the same, it sonud clear to me....

I will prep my trans as allways, So if your starting a race with your fingers crossed to get three races on a prep, good luck to you. Just know that I will have a fresh trans at that same race.

17. justplainnate

justplainnate Member

I'd rather have disk brakes than an open tranny.

18. Maxwell_99

Maxwell_99 Active Member

I'm not to sure what to say on this that hasn't already been said. Kind of like Lang said though, do you really want to try and make a trans live through three races or so? Wouldn't you rather have something reliable? I'm not sure why someone would be against this rule change unless they are getting false info about the costs and benifets. I just makes sense, plain and simple.

I don't think I will be able to make BAP as I had planned but I have some info ready to present to people who will listen about the facts about this change.

Disk brakes will come I think just for a safety and availability issue but that is a whole nother animal.

19. Maxwell_99

Maxwell_99 Active Member

Got a call from my dad last night and he said the vote went 14-7 to open uo the trans! Wish I could have been there. I wanted to bring up the whole engine tin rule so we can maybe do everything all at once instead of one thing every year or so.

20. Lifeflight

Lifeflight Active Member

Once upon a time, there was a rule in class 9 that said we could only change the rules every 5th year of the class. Was looking at the score rule book and that rule no longer exists. I was at the meeting and voted to open up the trans rule. Using my number 905/Big Kids Racing. I did have a car entered as a teamate in number 931 Dean Rohan/Rob Sullivan. Preped and supported in the pits by yours truley. For those of you long time class racers, you might have reconized the car as being the 1987 Baja 1,000 Challenger Class winning car originally built by Mike LaPlant and owned and raced by Nick Gross. In 1988 this team, won the Score./Hdra overall points championship. That being said, we ran within 3 minutes of the lead on day 1 and had ran a much slower pace on sunday ending up 6th overall for the weekend. This with a car with single port heads, a single master cylinder and non resevoir front shocks. We do have type 3 drums in the rear and close 3rd and 4th. So allowing our beloved class have an open trans should not affect the class turnout as some rightfully fear. It is solely my oppinion that this could and should be the last update for our class. I see no need for disk brakes. These cars stop just fine with what we have. I feel using steel 15'' steel wheels will allways be our rule also.
    My reason for writing this is to inform our class members that this is still a drivers class as a car built in 1986 can still be a factor in todays class as is Kyle Murry's 2seat Jimco which is also a 1986 chassis. Updating our trans rule has happend once when we were finally allowed big drums & close 3rd and 4th. That change didn't kill the class and this rule update will not harm the class either in my oppinion