Transmission for 10hp Briggs & Stratton??

Discussion in 'Shop - Miscellaneous' started by V8Ranger, Feb 3, 2003.

1. V8Ranger

V8Ranger Member

I've been looking around for a relativley simple/inexpensive two or three speed transmission that will withstand the abuse of a 10 hp Briggs and Stratton. Most people run CVT's but I wanted to try something different. I was just curious if anyone might have come across something that might work.

Thanks
  2. KitRacer

KitRacer Active Member

cushman makes a small vehicle used for meter maids and small farm jobs, i used to be a mechanic on them, alot of them had three speed manual transmission, it has a bell housing though, i dont know how you could adapt that to work with the clutch and everything else
  3. V8Ranger

V8Ranger Member

I'll look into that, thanks. Any idea how much they weigh?

Thanks again
  4. Kbach66

Kbach66 Member

Sounds like a SAE mini baja aplication for school....don't know for sure but I would stay with the CVT because of it's simplicity and light weight compared to the transmission route.
  5. KitRacer

KitRacer Active Member

the place i used to work at had a couple of these trannies laying around when i quit. they have a huge golf cart junk yard there too. the place is called Cart Mart Inc. and they are located in San Marcos on Bent Avenue off of San Marcos Blvd. Ask for Bruce, hes the only one there worth your time
  6. zooper

zooper New Member

On our mini baja we actually took the tranny out, we decieded that it was to heavy, to complicated, and frankly didnt make much of a difference (except having reverse). Dont mean to tell you, you shouldnt do it, just saying that it does work to not even have a tranny. You guys going to the midwest comp this year?
    Brady

one mynd
  7. Kritter

Kritter Krittro Campbell

You got a bigger problem then just the tranny Matt. If this is for mini baja team you need to fire some of the chiefs and get more indians. I didn't even bother trying to help out with that project...ask Dr. Anderson what he thinks of SAE baja and formula!!!

Kris
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>
  8. V8Ranger

V8Ranger Member

We'll I'll probably end up staying with the CVT but I'd like to at least reseach the transmission and see whats available.

KitRacer, thanks for all of the info, I'll give them a call and most likely take a trip up there to check them out.

Kris, I know what you mean. The mini baja team this year is in entire dissarray. I have decided to not get involved this year and concentrate on next year. Anderson can think what he wants but I personally would rather get my hands dirty for my senior project rather than sit in a classroom or work. I was actually planning on talking to him about the car next year but from the sounds of things he'd rather not get involved.
  9. V8Ranger

V8Ranger Member

I have no clue whats going on this year, from what I've heard around campus the team has missed one of the entry deadlines but I'm not sure if that was for the west or midwest competition. There are six students working on the car for senior credit and it has not been touched in a few weeks.