Trophy Kart Build - Will it be ready for Loorrs 5&6

Discussion in 'Shortcourse Racing' started by dhardesty, Apr 28, 2012.

1. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

The Set Up:
    Darren “Hot Sauce” Hardesty Jr has had a great start to 2012 in JR1. With fast qualifying efforts and 3 podiums finishes (including 1st in round 1) Hot Sauce is one of the quickest kids in JR1. Round 4 at Lake Elsinore Darren was fast qualifier, however with the inversion of 6 he had an issue in turn 2 on the first lap and was pushed back to 14th. While taking the white flag Hot Sauce got hooked in the left rear while overtaking 5th place. Both karts slammed the inside K rail at 40+ mph. Darren was not able to continue. After unloading the kart on Monday, it was obvious the chassis suffered heavy damage. Hot Sauce’s JR1 “joy wagon” was toast!

The Story:
    On the drive home from Lake Elsinore I told Little Darren that the JR1 was probably toast and we should now focus on the JR2. Darren is currently 2nd in points, 1 point behind Shelby Anderson in JR2. He said, “No way! I still want to race JR1 and try to win the championship.” So with only 3 ½ weeks to rounds 5&6 at Speedworld, Darren’s Grandfather Earl Hardesty & I started looking at purchasing a used JR1. On Friday 4/27 we picked up an old used kart from Brawley Ca. It is a little rusty and hasn’t been driven in two years, but I was told she won races in the past. So here we go we have 3 weeks to recreate Hot Sauce’s super fast JR1 Joy wagon.

Day #1 - I thought it would be fun to post pix of our progress and keep y’all up to date on the JR1 build. Below is a front shot of the kart that hit the K-rail. Photo of the stripped new cage, and a photo of all the garbage we won’t need for the new kart.
    Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Calcraft

Calcraft New Member

Good luck, we are thrashing to have a mod finished for our first regional here in Utah.
    Luckily a lot of great people have stepped up to help us. Thanks Dejong Off Road, Steele Racing, Iron Horse Customs, etc. We would not make it without help.
  3. Dirty*

Dirty* Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work Team Hardesty! It seems like yesterday that you guys started racing and since then it's been " Game On" for your family. You guys are getting solid results and little Darren “Hot Sauce” Hardesty is making a name for himself! See you at Speedworld.
  4. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

:D:D:D
    Hope you guys can get it together in time. Good luck in next races Darren
  5. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

DAY #3 Trophy Kart Build

Day 3 and we are still working on “tabbing” out frame. So far we have Bumber mounts complete, brake mount welded in, and all aluminum panel Dzus tabs done. Tomorrow night we should start bolting parts on. More updates to come…..

Photos attached with Hot Sauce learning how to fabricate bumper mounts, Parts and more parts, and Buggy Dork on the Drill Press!

Attached Files:

6. Chaplain

Chaplain God Dude

Glad Lil D is good after that crash and is helping with the JR1 recovery efforts. Go D!
  7. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

Is that DARREN's pink mini dwarf in the background?!
  8. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

No..the "Pink Nightmare" #13 Mini Dwarf is for Hailey Hardesty (9yrs). We haven't made it out to Barona Speedway to debut it just yet. But that's a topic for another thread I guess.

Nice observation Kyle!

Attached Files:

9. Scott_AZ

Scott_AZ Member

Sign a father loves his kids too much?

He parks in the driveway because their race cars/parts/tools take up the garage! hehe Keep up the great parenting. Can't wait till mine is (are?) old enough for JR1.
    1 person likes this.
  10. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

Nice choice NOT to come out last weekend!The track was horrible. They had to rip out turn 2 because of the rain, so it was very bumpy. I spun twice in turn 2, finished 7th with an extremly bent axle. Hope to see you guy out at the next race!:(
  11. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

Day #8 Trophy Kart Build
    Everything is coming along nicely. Hopefully have body mounted and bumpers made by end of next week and we should be ready to load it up for surprise. Photos below, Dale Wallace prepping the power plant! Hot Sauce bolting on front A-Arms. Team Polvoorde in the shop getting Christopher’s Joy Wagon ready for Lake Elsinore Regional. Photo of new car upside down (hopefully for the last time!). Little Darren showing our secret formula for going fast. Day #8 progress photo.

Attached Files:

12. harleys dad

harleys dad Well-Known Member

Looks great, kick some tail with it. Good luck!!!
  13. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

Looks like it will be ready for Speedworld. I still am not convinced that you arent going to hit the wall, those are the same strong, +2 front arms that i have on my mod. JEEEEZZ. Also a great secret formula!\m/\m/\m/\m/\m/
  14. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

Only two nights left to get both karts ready for Speedworld this weekend! We are definetly scrambling to get'er done. Day #16 Finished all fabrication on JR1. Putting fresh paint on new bumpers and bolting it together. Lots of long nights at shop, but its been fun. Next update from Speedworld......

Attached Files:

15. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

Car looks great!HAVE SOME QS
    How many parts could you transfer from kart to kart?
    Did You2 fab all of the bumpers by yourself?\m/

Thanks
  16. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

We were able to transfer the Motor/clutch, Rear arms, rear axle, sprockets, shocks, sway bars, nets and some body panels. Thankfully all the aluminum panels from the old kart bolted on the new chassis. The pan bolt holes lined up perfectly from one chassis to the other. I was a little surprised these tabs were welded in the exact location on both TK chassis.

Yes we fab the rear & frt bumpers in our shop along with new body mounts, fuel cell mounts, sway bar mounts, and alumninum work. Some of the fab work (near the end) is not the prettiest, but we are gettin it done! Hot Sauce (Darren Jr) helped with alot of the work. He was responsible for spripping the old chassis and I was able to teach him a few tricks on fabricating. He is starting to learn his way around the shop.

Like to thank Cameron Anderson for helping us round up parts, Bilstein Shocks, Racer X, Kartek, Mike McQueen, KTM in Ramona, Ron's Tire in Ramona, Porvoorde Motorsports, and Wallass Racing for all their help & support

One night left to finish & load up.
  17. Dirty*

Dirty* Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats Hot Sauce! A hard fought victory today!
  18. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

Man, that kid can drive! Too bad he broke on Saturday, but he surely must have had to fight for it in front of the reining champ. Congrats Darren & Crew(Sheldon) ( i dont know how to spell reining)
  19. KDODD42

KDODD42 Member

How did you do in the j2?
  20. dhardesty

dhardesty Active Member

The Trophy Kart build was successful, we made it to the race and the new JR1 Kart Qualified 1st right out of the box! Hot Sauce did a great job driving and we came home with a 1st place trophy for Round 6! Thanks to all who viewed this thread, we enjoyed sharing the build with all of you.

Thanks again to all of our supporter and sponsors, Bilstein Shocks, Racer X, Hoosier Tires, Ron's Tire, Wallass Racing.

Also special thanks to Heger Motorsports, Watson Motrosports, and Dickerson Motorsports for their support and hospitality! Congrats to Broc Dickerson for sweeping JR1 & JR2 in Rd 5, and congrat to Brock Heger on his 1st Modified Victory, Congrats to Elliott Watson for his first podium finish in JR2!

Attached Files: