1. Forum membership has its advantages....

tunnel ram or blower?

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by mxnocean, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mxnocean

mxnocean Member

this is prob the wrong forum for this but oh well, I am setting my truck up for sand drags but I was needing to know if I should run blower or tunnel ram, my engine could be set up for either so I just needed to get some input, its only 300ft track so bottom end is key, I got the gears, heads, blah blah just torn between getting a tunnel ram or blower, its a 350 (355). any idea?

2. SANDlessNSeattle

SANDlessNSeattle rock solid user name

both of em

3. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

blower

4. mxnocean

mxnocean Member

ya I was leaning torwards the blower but I hope that sand wont jack it up

5. 200MPHTape

200MPHTape Well-Known Member

Thats what Air Filters are for! I'm sure the mods will move this to the Shop/ Driveline forum!

6. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

should be moved but , big ol filter on top of a big ol honkin blower...

7. Ranch Hand

Ranch Hand Member

I can't determine from from your description, if you have already built the short block or not.......... If the short block is complete the decision between a tunnel ram or a blower has already been made by your choice of pistons. The tunnel ram will require a high compression engine, 12 to 1 or higher to achieve the maximum and a blower motor will require a a much lower compression ratio, I believe around 8.5 to 1, maybe even lower, to live.

Tunnel rams are much cheaper to maintain as well as the initial expense for the manifold and carbs. The tunnel ram also will not make nearly the horsepower of a supercharged engine. Blower motors are awesome, but like most cool things, they are expensive to build and maintain. The eternal dilemma of racers: FAST = MONEY :D

8. johnnyweb

johnnyweb Well-Known Member

Thats what i was thinking. pretty hard to set up for both.

9. empty pockets

empty pockets Well-Known Member

Tunnel Ram, Blowers don't like the sand, and it will make it's way in there if that blower coughs or has a hick-up

10. mxnocean

mxnocean Member

thanks guys for the input, does any one know what hardcore 4x4 from bakersfeild run in there trucks

11. dArkside

dArkside Member

yep.....

12. jbarker@banks

jbarker@banks Active Member

Turbos.

13. nimrod

nimrod KOOK!

4 cylinder subie with lots of expensive go fast parts from Cosworth in Torrence.......

Kidding, just had to throw my buggy dork opinion out there to kick off the weekend......

Does anyone know why Score doesn't allow turbos????

Popcorn please......

14. 9Iron

9Iron Member

Heard it was the lag...
    if driver is knocked out, looses control, etc the motor is still spooled up and
    can be bad for anyone close by.
    Course workers included, could get ugly quick...

15. jbarker@banks

jbarker@banks Active Member

Lag? A turbo is driven buy the engine exhaust (I know, duh) but the only way you could get into a runaway condition is if the drivers foot is still on the gas. Having the turbo(s) on the truck would make no difference as once the throttle blades are closed the engine would slow down normally.:D

16. stevenc

stevenc Member

Something that wasn't really addressed here.

You say you want bottom end... A tunnel ram is not really the best way to go around getting bottom end. A tunnel ram is primarily designed for high rpm power building. If you want to make the most bottom end, you want a short runner intake manifold. You can get some 'okay' bottom end out of a tunnel ram, but all of your other components need to be matched, and tuning will be the key.

17. mxnocean

mxnocean Member

I think i might just go with neither

18. John F2000

John F2000 Active Member

A blower and a tunnel ram are two different reasons completely for using them. Usually it is a class decision of what is allowed. If anything is allowed then there is no other answer than a blower, it will make more power.

19. John F2000

John F2000 Active Member

Someone else already answered this but "spooled up and out of control" is not the reason. If you search the forum you will see one on turbos with everyones best guess. In general it is old thinking. Turbos were considered exotic years ago, only teams with money would run them. Therefore they were not allowed. Now days it is one of the cheapest forms of power and they should be allowed in a specific class.

20. mxnocean

mxnocean Member

is there any blower out there that can be used on 10:1 compression and be safe for a 350