1. Forum membership has its advantages....

UTV's - Not just Golf Karts anymore..see why...

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by JoeyD23, Aug 23, 2011.

1. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Cough, cough...UTV thread...UTV thread...UTV thread.

2. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

I agree with this 100%, but I also understand it's an incredibly tough "product" to bring to the masses. This is why LOORRS is growing, it's a similar "product" for the masses that is FAR easier to package for promoters.

3. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

Oh sorry, I love my UTV, I can carry four sets of clubs and rarely get stuck in sandtraps!:D:D:D

4. DUNE DUMMY # 29

DUNE DUMMY # 29 Member

If you want to know who the next Trophy Truck drivers will be, go watch a LOORRS race. The trophy kart kids are amazing. Sheldon Creed, Brent DeJong & Broc Heger are really good & really young. Sheldon is also racing Lightening Sprints & soon will be racing midgets & then Sprints which will probably lead to NASCAR. That is where the money is. UTV stars that have moved up to Superlites & Prolites. RJ Anderson, Chad George, Austin Kimbrell, Brent Fouch & Ryan Beat to name a few..

5. GunnSlinger

GunnSlinger Captain Buzzkill

maybe the sanctioning body should have everybody submit last years tax forms and THAN place them in the appropriate class...... just so we can make everything fair :)

6. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

Nice!:D

7. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Classic!

8. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

You wanna know whats extremely funny about this...

If it is to actually happen... it is more likely to happen for the UTV's than any other type of off road vehicle!

Manufacturer support for something that they actually sell.

9. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

So be it. If they were real cars.

10. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

What exactly constitutes "real car"? My wife often drives a UTV to the grocery store, so she's anxious to know if her "car" is as real as all the Smart cars, Prius', etc. that also share the same parking lot.:rolleyes:

11. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Is a Smart Car a car or a toy?

12. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

The owners would probably consider them a "car", I consider them a rolling casket.:D

13. jowoog

jowoog Well-Known Member

back on subject ,... i don't get the part about being cheap ,...i'd like to see the total cost on the x thingy ....

14. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

If you're talking about the JaggedX RZR-XP900 as the "x thingy"...it was NOT a cheap build for sure. One nice thing about the UTV class is that there is manufacturer support and sponsorship.

15. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

Polaris definately has a vested interest in our, and everyone else racing a Polaris', success in the class.;)
    [​IMG]

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  16. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Cost varies depending on a lot of things. The guys to ask would be the new racers in 1926 who just finished their RZR XP build in three weeks and finished third at V2R. They had a lot of stock components so I am guessing it wasn't excessive. But what would a BRAND NEW 2/1600 cost to build? $60k minimum? And that gets you a 2wd, air-cooled, car with torsion leaf suspension. A lot of people seem to compare buying a used full sized buggy to a brand new UTV build. Kind of apples and oranges.

The point about UTV's is that a guy can go down to their local Polaris dealership and buy an RZR XP with a full warranty. Drive it for a while and when he gets the urge to race, it is something that he could build in his garage with some buddies and a little knowledge. For California people they come with a green sticker so they can trail ride them or take them to the dunes on weekends. There are a ton of places that support UTV races, such as Whiplash, LOORS, VORRA, BITD, SCORE, WORCS, GNCC, King of the Hammers, Soboba GP, Lake Elsinore GP, etc. In addition, a lot of racers use UTV's as an excellent way to learn. The Burkes from 41 Racing are ex Ute guys. Johnny Nelson who co-drives with BJ Baldwin used to race Utes, plus there are a lot of young 'hot shoes' that are currently in UTV's that will definately move up such as RJ Anderson, Brandon Scheuler, Austin Kimbrel, Chad George, Beau Barron, etc.

Build a UTV and come race with us, it is VERY fun!

17. howyadoin

howyadoin Member

But surely Volkswagen sponsors many of these racers right?:D

18. DUNE DUMMY # 29

DUNE DUMMY # 29 Member

SSSHHHH! You guys are telling them too much about racing UTVs. We can keep it our secret how much fun it is to own, play or race a UTV. Not just for "going to take a dump" in anymore.

19. BlueCoyote

BlueCoyote Active Member

and many regional series as well. Used to race a truck - for a small team it was limited to race Barstow and the like, with an occasional play run. The UTV allows us to race in GP, desert, short course races, play at the dunes and woods, and still do some farm work. Logistics and transportation are much simpler as well.

20. JoeyD23

JoeyD23 Well-Known Member

Glad we got people talking about the UTV. At the end of the day we all love to off road.