1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Wednesdays 12-3-08 Meeting on Johson Valley

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by dwasser, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dwasser

dwasser Well-Known Member

I went to the meeting in Twentynine Palms about the Johnson Valley withdraw.

The following info is also posted in the "General Discussion" board and the "Save the Desert Board" If you want to respond I would go with the general discussion board.

Just got back from the meeting in Twentynine Palms. The gym that it was held in was pretty crowded by 6:00. There were easels set up with maps showing all 6 options that the military is looking at. It was a long drive from El Centro but to see the maps first hand was worth it. It puts the reality of this into perspective. I would encourage everyone to make the effort and go to one of the two remaining meetings. There were a lot of land owners there and definitely some off-roaders. My guess would be that the majority were land owners.

Couple of suggestions/questions:
    I’m not sure if this would matter or not but it might not be a bad thing to “look” like an off-roader. When I would scan the room I got the impression that there weren’t very many people from the off-road community there. The BLM and military might get that same impression even if you talk to them about the issues with the OHV area. It is a casual setting so maybe wear you favorite off-road hat, shirt or jacket. Just keep it respectable. By doing this we might be able to make a bigger impression for the off-road community.

The downside to this could be that if you want to get a quick response to a question and catch someone guard you could loose the element of surprise. I doubt it though because they have it down pretty good.

I did feel like there is some hope with the BLM. They seamed genuinely concern with what would happen to the off-roaders if the have no where to ride. I stressed the point that cramming off-roaders into smaller and less areas would result in increased accidents and deaths.

I heard many of the land owners saying that if JV was taken they were worried about the off-roaders riding through private properties and creating a problem. Even some land owners that have a very vocal dislike for off-roading would rather keep JV then have us racing up and down their streets.

Here’s my take on the meeting:

The military has a very polished presentation

Some guys in uniform some not

Very polite people to greet you and sign you in

Snacks and drinks

All military representatives have practiced their responses to questions and are prepared to answer just about any question you have.

You should specifically ask about the terrain. One of the excuses for not being able to use certain terrain was because of the dry lake beds. They said they would get stuck. Aren’t there dry lake beds in JV?

Pay attention to the legends on the maps. They highlight a lot of terrain that wouldn’t be “suitable” for them everywhere but the areas they want. Things like deep sand and silt. When you see the maps they only have one small area marked as deep sand. I have never personally ridden in JV but I have to guess that there’s more sand and silt then what they are showing.

I did get to meet and talk to Harry from PFJV. He seemed very knowledgeable and really knew his stuff.

Everyone that has anything to do with off-roading should be going to these meetings.

If anyone has specific questions about the meeting please post them and I’ll try to answer the best I can. If you have specific questions about the situation PFJV is the best people to answer.

2. wrightracing.net

wrightracing.net Active Member

When is the next meeting?

3. 1BAJA03

1BAJA03 Well-Known Member

AAPL supports the Partnership for Johnson Valley and the CTUC in their efforts on behalf of
    all the users of Johnson Valley, one of the premier remaining OHV areas left in the California desert
    and now threatened by the USMC's need for more desert training land. PFJV is working with the Marines to
    identify alternative locations to satisfy the Marines needs.

For Immediate release
    January 11, 2009

Wayne Nosala
    PFJV Secretary
    760-373-7866
    [email protected]

Partnership For Johnson Valley hosts meeting with local businesses and Military representatives from Twentynine Palms

What was to be a routine meeting to discuss the proposed expansion of the Twentynine Palms MCAGCC chaired by Harry Baker turned into an emotional discussion about the economic impacts the military's proposed expansion would have in Lucerne, Johnson, Yucca Valley and surrounding communities if tourism was removed from the region.

"This is a Route 66 scenario" said one of the business owners concerned about local impacts on tourism that could turn our communities into ghost towns.

Ed Waldheim, President of the California Trail Users Coalition and a Director of the Partnership, was visibly shaken and genuinely concerned that the emotion of these local retailers could never be channeled through typical scoping methods. Range Expansion Program Manager Joe Ross, assured us he would relay this overwhelming concern demonstrated by local business owners to the upper military brass and that every comment carries weight. He noted that socioeconomics will be one of many important items to be fully analyzed in the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).

One very important key element discussed was the volume of scoping comments that have been received so far by the Marines. As of today, just under 900 Emails and about 500 hard comment letters have been received. This number of comment letters to the military is disappointingly low.

The Partnership is urging the public to send letters to the military regarding this issue. The more the better. Unique comments and ideas are openly welcome from all types of tourists, multiple users and local residents. All substantive comments that are received will be incorporated into the Draft EIS, scheduled for release in spring 2010.

Comments can be as simple as one sentence, or as many words as you would like. THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING COMMENTS IS JAN 31, 2009.

Download comment form here http://pfjv.org/Mcom.pdf

Comments may be submitted in writing by sending a letter to:

Mr. Joe Ross, Project Manager, 29Palms Proposed Training
    Land/Airspace Acquisition Project, MAGTFTC/MCAGCC,
    Bldg. 1554, Box 788104, Twentynine Palms, CA 92278-8104;

by an e-mail to [email protected] ;

or by voice mail at 760-830-3764

All meetings of the PFJV are open to the public, and the military is regularly invited and in attendance. Harry Baker said, "I've been very gratified that Marine Corps representatives accept our invitations and take time out of their busy schedules to attend. They have shown an impressive willingness to be open, honest and listen to all stakeholder concerns during their planning process."

About The Partnership for Johnson Valley: The leadership of the Partnership For Johnson Valley has been cooperatively working with the military and the affected Stakeholders in an effort to explore alternatives to the proposed land expansion. The PFJV is a division of the 501(c)3 California Trail Users Coalition. The Mission of the Partnership is to unite the many people who enjoy the diverse activities available in the multiple-use open access area of Johnson Valley. The Partnership’s charter is to promote responsible recreation and the use of desert resources through conservation and education. The goal of the Partnership is to ensure public open-access to the area in the present, and for future generations who Live, Work, and Recreate in Johnson Valley. For more information and updates, please visit www.PFJV.org

Wayne Nosala
    21411 Lutie
    Mojave (Wonder Acres) CA 93501
    760-373-7866
    [email protected]
    Partnership For Johnson Valley
    You are subscribed to the Advocates for Access to Public Lands mailing list.
    To unsubscribe click here: http://www.spaceweather2.com/u?id=1143431Q&n=T&l=skycalls or send a blank email to <[email protected]>

4. dwasser

dwasser Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Larry.