1. Forum membership has its advantages....

What is the diameter of a Dana 35 axle tube?

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by atomicjoe23, Apr 13, 2009.

1. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

Just a quick question. . .for a quick interim project I'm gonna do to tide me over until I can go all out on our YJ.

What is the axle tube diameter of a Dana 35?

Thanks!

2. atomicjoe23

no help on this???

3. sickrick

sickrick Active Member

You could measure it.

4. Tech Tim

Tech Tim Member

Basically it's 2.5".

It measures from the thickest at 2.60" to where it necks down at 2.45" just as it presses into the cast center; you can see why they tend to bend so much.

5. atomicjoe23

Thanks. . .greatly appreciated. . .wanted to make sure I get the right size spring perches for a tide me over SOA conversion until I have the time and money to do a better lift/suspension upgrade to the YJ.

6. Samco Fab

Samco Fab Well-Known Member

I say dont waste your time or even a penny on the 35, they bend and break if you look at them wrong. Not even temorarily. The towing bill, or the parts that it takes out when it breaks will make it worth it to do something else like a 44 or a Explorer 8.8 , or Early Bronco 9". Definitely never put gears or a locker in a 35, no matter what mall crawler told you how great his was when he put his " Super 35" kit in.

Good luck!!

7. atomicjoe23

No 35's for this 35. . .just gonna do a quick SOA conversion to keep the GF happy until we aquire all the parts to do a custom set-up. . .I've got so many projects going right now that I don't have any cash or time to spare on anything other than a simple SOA conversion for the YJ. . .

. . .this think won't see any off-road use for a while. . .we've got quads, etc. for that and right now the YJ just gets us from A to B on a paved road. . .