1. Forum membership has its advantages....

whats better 2 seat or single seat?

Discussion in 'Class 9' started by mdepue, Jul 30, 2009.

1. mdepue

mdepue Member

im buildin a 2 seat but been lookin and seen siingle seats have been faster just wonderin everyones opinon overal wise wats better???

2. Johnson954

Johnson954 Active Member

We have a 2-seater, and to me we have the best of both worlds. We can run it as a single seat, or like this last race, I can throw my wife in the car and have some fun. To be competitive, you'll most likely have to run as a single seat. The 2 seat cars are just too heavy with the co-driver.

3. mgobaja

mgobaja Well-Known Member

Single seat = you dont have to worry about hurting anybody else should something bad happen.
    Two Seat= should you flat or break down, you have help, and also have somebody to share the fun with and expenses with possibly

4. ACME

ACME Well-Known Member

2 seats in Mexico, maybe Parker/V2R/Mint becuse if you break you'll be bored as hell. Otherwise a single seat, especially a Lothringer SS is the way to go!

5. #75race

#75race Member

I really think it depends on preference. There's good and bad points on both sides of the class 9 spectrum, if you want to call it that, lol. For instance if you want a single seater that's just less money that you would have to spend on another racing seat, safety harnesses, etc. More tubing is usually required to make a two seater and more tubing = more $$$.

So in general, a two seater would most likely be more expensive than a single seater, but there are some other advantages of having a two seater. You can have a spotter, or rather, an extra pair of eyes to keep a lookout for when you're racing, another person to enjoy the experience. (as mentioned in a previous post) It would also be good for showing people "the ropes" in off road racing, if they've never had experience in a car. Plus you could charge for rides, haha, just kidding.:p

So yeah, for the most part it really is based on preference. There may be some weight issues between the two types of vehicles, but I've heard that there's certain "adjustments" for balancing out the field.:cool:

6. mdepue

mdepue Member

yea im buildin a 2 seat so that my dad and uncle can rid ewith me to tell me im okay to put it into second haha and after my first few my friends gonna ride ill make him pay half entry i was gonna build a single seat but id rather start out racin a 2 seat then wen i wanna become competitive ill buy a singleseat

7. mdepue

mdepue Member

yea ive always wondered ive seen pictures of your car with 1 seat and i look at pictures of a different race theres 2 seats but know i know

8. BUDMAN975

BUDMAN975 Member

I always tell everyone that asks about my single seater that it is faster but the 2 seater is much more fun to drive. I too ran my 2 seater as a single seat but it seems that when you do that you always wish that someone were right next to you. My plan this year was alternate cars between races for the MORE and SNORE series, there are races I think having the 2 seater would have been a major plus (MINT 400 and MORE 500) when you have someone you care about next to you it keeps your head on straight and makes you more aware. My first MORE race win was the Freedom 250 in 07 and my wife rode with me, that is another reason why it was a special day.

9. mdepue

mdepue Member

yea so wen u guys race ur 2 seater just with one seat is it any faster?

10. BUDMAN975

BUDMAN975 Member

it is hard to say, every time a course is run there is so many variables. I will say that it feels faster because you are more focused on the job at hand

11. mdepue

mdepue Member

yea have you won any races with it as a single seat or just when u ran it as a 2 seat

12. Johnson954

Johnson954 Active Member

Our 2 seater is heavy, and so it is perfect to make weight as a single seat. Our car is quite bit faster as a single seat, and a lot easier on parts. I've never had a single seat car where the seat is in the middle, but from what I understand, it is easier on your body when your riding in the middle of the car. If you're just starting out though, I would highly recommend a 2 seater to learn with. Having a co-driver can help in so many ways, especially when it comes to safety and helping you watch out for faster cars coming up from behind.

13. mrmatt

mrmatt Well-Known Member

I have had the chance to drive both and like has already been said.....the 2 seat is fun and I like having a co-dawg to back my story;). The single seat I feel like I stay more focused because all the responsiblities are mine. (note: the single seat I drove was also my first race so my opinion may be a little askew). However, when i am comfortable with my co-driver I feel much more confident because all I have to worry about is driving.

But you can't listen to Bud:D....single seat, two seat.....he is just fast.

BTW Bud, that is awesome that the first win came with your wife in the right seat. I am planning on my wife co-driving in December.

14. sadrace

sadrace New Member

Doesn't really matter single feels faster but two seaters have won more championships than single , walters bros dominated more than anyone and remember Sheble, ask bud how fast the two seater was at Primm. or even though Torres raced as a single it wouldn't have mattered if he had another seat in it he would have gone just as fast it was built as a two seater. the black jimco two seater will be at Primm to finish what it started this year and wherever the big nine race is in 2010. have fun and drive hard in whatever you have

15. Johnson954

Johnson954 Active Member

I haven't seen a 2 seat dominate since the injection of the dual port into class 9. Dwaine Walters has told me too, that they were planning on running their car as a single seat if they had continued in class 9. Maybe I'll be able to talk him into running it again this next year in the Pro 9 events....

16. team mach 5

team mach 5 Member

I like the enthusiasm Rick. I have raced both single and two seaters in the past and it comes down to the driver not really the car. The only difference is the weight, but I drive to impress with the double rider. I know the mach 5 single seater has something for that Jimco trust me.

Peace
    Forest TM5

17. racer951

racer951 Well-Known Member

2 vs. 1 is always an interesting argument.

In my opinion a single seater is faster and a 2 seater is more stable and predictable. Our car is like the Johnson's with the left drive 2 seater; you just have to make sure it's set up right.

Jeff...having company when broke is no reason for a 2-seater! Our next 9 will be a true single seat.

18. BUDMAN975

BUDMAN975 Member

Another car? Who are you trying to be like the Davidsons LOL :) I have won driving by myself before in the 2 seater. I feel that because of the seats position in the center that you feel everything instead of just what hits your side of the car in the 2 seat. I would definetly build a 2 seater if you are just starting out, better yet just buy a used one and save alot of the hassle. There are many fast 2 seat cars out there running right now like Rick Poole's car, Johnson's is quick my 2 seater is pretty fast and a couple of fast 2 seat cars have recently been sold, Reids, and Hughes. you can listen to people and their judgment all day but it really depends on your preferance.

19. mdepue

mdepue Member

0.yea im buildin 1 for the reason that i put all my time in the car so i wont just ggo out there and race it once and sell it and wen i brake something i know how to fix it that is the only reason and i can design it myself i love the way my car is turnin out look at the picture on my albums idk how to post them here

20. Johnson954

Johnson954 Active Member

I like the pics of your car. Looks like it is turning out really nice!....got a kink in my neck trying to see them though!:eek: