Who makes the best LED light bars?

Discussion in 'Shop - Electrical' started by J_Lothringer, Sep 15, 2011.

1. J_Lothringer

J_Lothringer Well-Known Member

Who all makes LED light bars? and which ones are the best? and why? are they worth it? Thanks in advance.
  2. treypal

treypal Active Member

My rigid LEDs have been great. Really durable, bright, zero problems. I have a 20" and four of the duallies.
  3. D. Freeman

D. Freeman Active Member

Baja Designs. hands down. There is much more to a quality LED product than most people ever imagined. Where to start? Well I guess the LEDs themselves. LEDs from the same manufacturer and production run can and will produce surprisingly large variances in light temperatures and final production qualities. These LEDs are "binned" and sorted and obviously the more efficent and properly matched color temperatures will sell for more. Baja Designs will only manufacture product with the absolute highest binned and highest quality components available.. I can guarantee no other manufacturer is as selective of each and every LED used. Now lets talk a little about heat in LEDs. The first and most common misconception about LEDs is they take no power to run and emit no heat.. incorrect. High powered white LEDs will emit a good amount of heat. Heat is definitely the biggest enemy of LEDs. If an LED overheats or is running to hot damage will occur, this will absolutely kill any sort of life expectancy of your light and the LED will not work as efficiently ever again ( less bright forever). Thermal management and heat dissapation are absolutely crucial for an LED bar to function perfectly. BD light products have thermal management that in the case the internal temperature gets too hot the current is automatically rolled back to mildly dim the light to preserve the LEDs . Another fine example of the difference of a BD LED bar to everything else on the market is the use of a pure copper circuit board. No one else would fathom designing there own board and manufacturing it from copper when there are cheaper mass produced imported solutions. Using copper instead of a standard board allows the heat from the LEDs to pass through the board to the housing which is a giant heat sink! much better than plastic.. I could move onto optics next.. I could go on and on. Please feel free to call me at the shop anytime for more info or pop by for a quick tour and lighting education

Danny
    Baja Designs
    760-560-2252 x115
  4. Jerry Zaiden

Jerry Zaiden Well-Known Member

Have you seen the new light bars from KC HiLites?

I will try and get pictures. They are second to none!
  5. Wendell #527

Wendell #527 Well-Known Member

I have an almost new 48" Ridgid LED light bar I will sell you for $400. It only has one race on it. I outran it. Goin back to HIDs.
  6. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

i get the feeling that after we've read all of the posts, we still won't know, but so far baja designs has the best pitch...but i'm sure that there are other companies that make quality products. i'd like more input from guys that use them rather than guys that make them myself.
  7. D. Freeman

D. Freeman Active Member

Here is a sneak peek of the newest BD creation. The Squadron. 3600 lumens!!! Yes 3600! not 1300 not 1800 not 2800. 3600! Want the lightest, brightest, smallest, most efficent, lifetime warranty light in existence look no further. Oh ya, IT'S MADE IN THE USA. Hmmmm.

Attached Files:

8. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

My experience with LED's is very limited to only using one on a family members UTV. For that application and speed it worked well. I dont know the brand name (Ridged maybe?) but the light output on a 30 inch bar was more then enough for driving around PC and Superstition. LED's make great light for their size and power, but I would say in any sort of race car, even our 5/1600 you will outrun the LED lights. If I was to consider a LED light bar for my race application, it would have to be integrated into my lighting set up which would still have HID's.
  9. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

I'll put another vote in for Baja Designs. Their Stealth lightbars are unbelievable. The way they fill in the whole desert rather than emitting a few distracting fingers of light is super nice.
    1 person likes this.
  10. burninfuel

burninfuel Active Member

11. D. Freeman

D. Freeman Active Member

Nikal, You hit the nail on the head! LED lighting definitely has its place in offroad that is for sure, LEDs are good at laying down a very nice uniform pattern of evenly distributed light, this you cannot argue. However with a reflector behind an HID light you have a better ability to crop and focus light further. Currently LED lighting alone will not produce enough light for a 100 MPH+ car to make decisions and line choices at these speeds safely. The optimal light setup for most race cars would utilize LED stuff on the bumpers and down low along with wide cornering HIDs for peripheral lighting. Overhead I would utilize Large HID Spot lights to cover your distance for higher speeds.
  12. DesertGuy1

DesertGuy1 Active Member

As far as LED Lightbars are concerned, Rigid Industries IS the best, without question. Their product speaks for itself as far as quality, ease of installation and various configurations that are available. You can take a look on Youtube for videos that show how they compare; however I think anyone can argue almost any construction detail.

That being said, what sets Rigid apart (besides their "stuff), IMHO, is their ability to receive input from their customers (making their product even better) and their customer service. Even though my purchases are "small taters" in comparison to many, they made sure I was taken care of and received what I needed. Also, every time I have had a question (ridiculous or not) they took the time to answer all to my satisfaction. Having a company that "knows" their product, making recommendations based on my needs and being their AFTERWARDS to support their product speaks volumes.
  13. HDRA1

HDRA1 The Godfather

jeff i have to say that RIGID builds a flat out awesome product they are working on bringing better products out all the time and Desert Guy is right the customer service is second to none if you need a few to try out let me know i will ship them to you to try them
  14. Jerry Zaiden

Jerry Zaiden Well-Known Member

Here is the new KC HiLite's lite bar. They are using all the highest quality components therefor you will pay more but get the superior product. I have seen these next to 4 different light bars and they do stand out. I would go to all the companies boths at Off Road Expo and do your own comparison and you will see why the KC Bar is the superior choice.

Attached Files:

15. isdtbower

isdtbower Member

These comments will go on until LED lighting comes up with a standard that makes sense for long range effectiveness. There is no question that they saturate the terrain locally. LED's are also on the technology edge so it is still progressing while HID is/has leveled. I always considered LED's bright to look at but poor at throwing light. That is changing. There are compromises and tradeoffs. Amperage needs/savings, heat sink weight, aerodynamics, mounting, quality - distance of light and $$$. I also like the combination solution for now.
  16. Forty1Racing

Forty1Racing Well-Known Member

Baja Designs makes amazing products, cannot go wrong with them. Great customer service and quality is what makes us come back race after race, year after year.

But, any main stream company won't let you down.
  17. SpeedBump

SpeedBump Member

We have been racing with the Rigid LED roof bar since the 2006 MDR night race. We have added their bumper bar, fog lights and dust lights. I think these lights gives us a competitive advantage at night races.

Never had a problem with their products - electrically, optically or with dust inside the lens. Rigid sells a great product.
  18. JohnnyAirtime

JohnnyAirtime Member

I ran across this thread, and noticed it being more of a sales pitch... than "what's best with good non-bias information :p BUT... none-the-less, I was just researching LED Light Bars.

I'm going to try some from overseas, that look JUST LIKE some of the listed components.
    ... yes, I know "looks" can be deceiving, and I know what makes a good LED... and light, so for the price... I'm ordering up some for my street ride. I'm prepared for the worst, so anything better will be a decent deal.

They are half the price of anything listed in the USA. Coincidence? No... ;)

Here's their website so you can see some of the pictures of what they offer (no need to keep it a secret);
    http://nbbrightshine.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-212763954/LED_LIGHT_BARS.html#products

Of course, LED will never "throw" like an HID Pencil Beam, and most "fast guys" will outrun the LEDs. But, they are great for flood and up close lighting!!

... Enjoy!
  19. ErikIrvine

ErikIrvine Member

I want to run a 30 in. LED bar on the top visor of my class 5U car, mainly for space considerations. I also have a pair of Hella Optilux 4 in. HIDs on the front bumper for driving around town lights. Do you guys think my car will "outrun" a 30 in. LED bar? My max speed is 86MPH (on the road, with 100% traction). Also, if you do think it will outrun the LED bar, what 4 in. Pencil lights would you recommend for the center of my front bumper?

Attached Files:

20. ErikIrvine

ErikIrvine Member

Here is a pic looking from the front. I plan to notch the aluminum visor where the number plate is.

Attached Files: