1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Why 2" hollow spindles instead of microstubs in front?

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by Dave In Florida, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Dave In Florida

Dave In Florida New Member

Why do people run 2" hollow spindles on the front of buggies instead of a bolt on hub from a later GM truck like is used in Microstub setups? I'm thinking the front hub all the way around would be nice because then I only have to carry 1 spare with me. As long as it's splined for a drive axle, it will work front or rear.

Is there a good reason nobody does this or is it a "just because"?

2. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

you "can" and they "work".....the best example i can think of off hand are the Wide Open BC cars. they run the GM style unit bearings on all corners and "work" but in severe racing conditions a snout with serviceable bearings is the setup of choice for most. the life span of a standard 2" bearings and snouts is huge because you can prep them every race....(clean, inspect, crack check, and re-grease).....the unit bearings, not so much. they get loose and start grinding they go in the trash.

3. Dave In Florida

Awesome, thanks. We like to think we beat on our cars, but in reality, we're playing hard, not racing. The unit bearings aren't cheap at $120 a piece, but a brake kit for 2" hollow spindles isn't cheap either, and I don't really like all custom parts flopping around out by the trees in the woods :D

4. mfs

mfs Member

I have thought about this before and I know someone that did it on a buggy but he said you need to have the stub axle thought them with the bolt tight because that's what holds it all together. Problem is that stub axles is heavy Need some kind of light weight hollow bolt in their so their is less sprung weight. Otherwise I think it would work great.

5. pwerwagn

pwerwagn Active Member

What about raptor unit bearings? I see them still being used even on sick raptor builds. Even the H&M raptor for Bowers had raptor unit bearings on it. Ive asked this question a few places, even raptor forums...with never a clear answer. Is it an option?

6. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

The SST trucks run unit bearings on all four corners. I believe they were off a big ford, at least originally.

7. Dave In Florida

OK, here's kinda a follow up question.

Does anyone know how much stronger (if any) GM or Ford full size hubs are than the S10 stuff? I know S10 stuff is used in regular microstub setups, which opens up our world for wheels and brakes, but I'm curious if the half-ton stuff is significantly stronger enough to put up with the one-off nature of it?

Our application is fast trail riding through woods. We're looking at 300hp at the most (stock J35) but through stock 091's. We really don't beat on the cars, just run 50-60mph down trails.

8. Fourstroker

Fourstroker Well-Known Member

As Matt mentioned the Wide Open cars ran the unit bearing on all fours. The front stub axle had the cv flange and anything that did not work to hold something together machined off

9. D-rek

D-rek Active Member

Full potential did this on all there ten cars. They use a bearing from a late model half ton Chevy truck. They use a 4wd version for the rear (same as micro stubs). The cars have never had any sort of failure with them and some hard crashes. We use 6 lug rims I am going to make a piece to use the 4wd ones in the front. The 4wd versions require an axle or something to keep the bearings tight. I will post some pictures of my car when I get home.
    Derek