1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Why Is BITD Treating Class-12, 5U, 1600 like 2nd Class (Slow) Citizens at Mint

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by frostbite36, Apr 3, 2012.

1. frostbite36

frostbite36 Capt. Hindsight

The dust has settled nicely after the "Mint" for this year...it was really weird that BITD decided to split it into two races that didn't even go 400 miles in the first place and even stranger that class-1100/12 was put in with the "slower" group. Since when is class-12 (1100) considered "slow"...same goes for 1/2-1600 and class-5U, as far as that is concerned!!! I guess I'm just really upset about the whole Mint format with two sperate events/runs...it really detracted from the "Mint-400" mystique! Heck, it wasn't even on the traditional course... If I'm gonna pay those outragous BITD entry and GPS tracking fees, I want to get the full Monte. COMMENTS?? I'm sure there will be plenty!!

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  2. R_LLEWELLYN

R_LLEWELLYN Member

from what i understood it was split due to the amount of cars and course milage. casy and mad media did what they could in the time they had just to make the race happen. there was alot of blm rules. rumor has it next year will be more like previous years

3. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

I heard the same rumor, BITD and MadMedia put this event under their belt and will build onto it. Not a big fan of the 2 race format for the MINT 400 but sometimes you have to take what you get. I personally see the MINT 400 getting bigger and better, they just had to get one under their belt. As for class 5 unlimited, they were suppose to be in the morning race but they asked Casey if they could do all 4 laps and he agreed (that's what I heard). I bet class 1100 (class 12) could have done the same if they called and talked to the man himself.

On a side note, now is the time to start throwing ideas their way for next years event, this way they have more time to plan and execute. Props to BITD and MadMedia both on a great event.

4. lost boys

lost boys Member

You say two race there were three races and we all paid the same entry I only got two laps! Iwas just getting warmed up in the 9 car and then it was over next year I want all 400

5. frostbite36

For the amount of money they get in entry fees and the time they had to get this together, I'm not giving Casey or mad media and crew too much slack. I do realize there is a lot that goes into one of these events...so there is credit due, of course. Though SNORE got a bunch of crap for some mismanagement of the Mint 400 in reference to BLM land use issues, etc. At least they put on a full-distance event at a reasonable entry fee and they mananged to do it on some of the traditional Mint 400 course. I expect a lot from BITD and if they don't step up the game... Well, maybe they have it right? All the new generation of racers come charging because of the name of the event ...call it "the Mint" and do it anywhere you want, at any distance you want and $$$$ money can still be made... I for one am not going to do a BITD event until they put on a full distance Mint event for all the faster classes...including class-1100/12! Also, Casey needs to jump onboard with the new class-12 engine rules that have been acceped by all the other sanctioning bodies...

6. frostbite36

That's right my buggy brother...that's what I want to hear...I don't want to hear how cool BITD and mad media are...I want constructive and critical feedback!!! I don't want excuses...if you pay, you should be able to play!

7. MX808

MX808 New Member

I called and tried to get the 1600 or 2000 class moved into the afternoon race as well. Most guys I talked to at the BAP race about the mint all wanted to run the full 400. Only the 1600's having issues get caught by the unlimiteds. However as a few stated it was their first year with this race and I have a feeling it will get better. Who knows maybe we will get the original course back too.

8. JRV 511

JRV 511 Active Member

100 % agree

9. Baja Jim

Baja Jim Active Member

I'm not trying to defend BITD on their decision to run 2 races, but there were some logistical issues regarding 1 race. This was not about money as it would have been cheaper and easier on BITD to run 1 race. There was 325+ that entered the race and over 80 unlimited cars, being a limited class car I know what it is like knowing that we have 80 plus unlimited cars coming behind me. While I know not many 1600 cars get lapped but with this many cars you would have been lapped. Even starting cars 2 at a time every 15 seconds the last car would not leave the line for 40 plus minutes later. The dust on the 1st lap for the slower cars would be blinding and guess what some of those unlimited cars would get flats and now are mixed up with limited cars. ( I experienced this 1st hand as a trophy truck decided to hit me instead of using his siren to get us out of his way.) Also the unlimited guys were doing their laps in 1:25 and certainly would have caught at least 50% of you!

Next year they need to figure out how to get a longer loop with a turn out as large as this, or they need to figure out how to give each race the full 400 miles. We as 5U were able to talk with Casey and get the full 400 miles and were glad that we did. I do believe that there was some politics regarding which cars raced in the 1st race. I believe that there was an agenda for having the 1100/12 cars in the morning race. Somebody (wink wink) Ford wanted to be able say that they were the overall winner of the Mint. When I ask Casey to move us to the afternoon race he ask why I wanted to do this as we would have a chance to win overall. I told him I wanted to race the Mint 400 and didn't care about a chance to win overall in the Mint 276. While we would have won the Mint 276 and glad I raced and finished the Mint 400

10. x9racer

x9racer Active Member

The mint 400 has been marketed as the roughest race for many years and that has kept average speeds down and made closing speeds safer. This years mint 300 or 400 what ever one you were in was the fastest's mint race ever , over 2 hours faster than last years mint.400. In laying out and blading such a fast track the closing speeds are now not safe especially when you add golf carts to the mix. I have raced areas around primm and it could have been rougher but those were not run this year . And I would doubt you will see the old track the BLM guy at the spectator area I was at said it will not happen something about the BIA and BLM don't get along. And according to the race results 270 cars raced .

11. GlamisGurlie

GlamisGurlie goddess like

Ugh! Really?? AGAIN?!!! How about this: Frostbite, since you seem to be the squeakiest wheel, here is what I propose to you - and everyone else who follows your line of thinking... First, if you are going to come on a public forum and complain, you need to sit and think about REAL ways to help correct what YOU think is a way to fix your perceived problem. For every complaint, you need to have a positive way to propose fixing it. For example, not just oh, throw them all together in one race, problem solved. No, there are reasons why things were done the way they were. And while Casey may have made a remark referencing a possible reason for keeping Class 1100 in the morning race, he put you limited guys together in the first race for the reasons Baja Jim stated above. It's no different than SCORE. If he would've thrown you in the afternoon race and you got hit by a 1 or TT, you would be on here complaining about that! Safety is number one - it should be for you, too.

Second, and far most importantly, you need to shadow case from the very infancy of event. Sit at his office 10 hours a day, go to every single meeting (BLM, Fish and Wildlife, etc., and every other entity involved), be there for every single staff meeting, logistics meeting, field the phones, etc.. THEN go out and do all of the course work, spend hours and hours and hours at the break of dawn til sundown out there, day after day. I GUARANTEE you will do a complete 180 with your thought process. You guys race not put on events. I wouldn't tell you how you can drive your race car better, as I have no experience, you shouldn't sit behind your keyboard and try to tell a race organizer how to put on a race, as you have no experience. You have absolutely NO CLUE what it takes to put on something of this magnitude. You don't just walk in, pay your money to the BLM and poof! you've got an event. We only had 5 months to put this together. Five months is not enough time really. Did you know that after the main pit was marked in stalls, it had to be COMPLETELY re-done THREE TIMES - Completely! Any idea how long that would take? And you don't get to just do things when you want to or when you have time. You have to WAIT for approval and then go do it. There is not an army of people at BITD. There are four people who do everything - FOUR. The Mint isn't their only event either. There are bike races on top of 5 car/truck races.

I shake my head every time I see the "money card" thrown out there. Anyone who thinks that Casey is making a killing off of these races is sorely mistaken. I've seen land use proffer accounts in the six digits (yes, that's over $100,000.00). And that's just one sliver of the economic pie.

Once again, to everyone who thinks they know how to put on a better event, head on over to BITD and become one with Casey, Donald, Trevor and Diane to really get a clear picture of how this all works. By the time of the Mint 2013, you'll be a changed person - or you would have said eff this and left a long time before ;)

(+4) 4 people like this.
  12. randy68

randy68 Well-Known Member

Well said!

13. GlamisGurlie

GlamisGurlie goddess like

We had 303 cars leave the start line, according to the race results I just pulled off of the BITD site :)

14. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

[​IMG]

15. GunnSlinger

GunnSlinger Captain Buzzkill

Im pretty sure it was more of a breakdown between "limited" and "unlimited" vehicles.. At what point do you make the cut-off before the class you cut off doesn't think they are "slow". No matter what class you make the cut off at, there will ALWAYS be a slower class or someone deemed as "slow".

... doesn't seem very constructive at all haha. seems as though you just want people to jump on your bandwagon.

btw, BITD and Mad Media are LEGIT! if you dont like it, you can race elsewhere, nobody forced you to enter.

16. TexasBaja

TexasBaja Active Member

GlamisGurlie '2012

17. Broncodawg

Broncodawg Active Member

Atta Girl GG! Well said!

18. MMS

MMS Active Member

Looks like to me class 1100(12) got special attention. Class 1100 were the first to start no dust, big advance---so why are you whining??

19. Western Motorsports

Western Motorsports Active Member

I thought the event was top notch for such a short time frame....Casey, Diane, GG and all the BITD crew did a fantastic job!.....But then again we were in the 4-lap race....LOL.....Wow, we must be fast! Like GG basicly said " Walk A Mile In My Shoes" before you judge. BITD is still the best!...period.

Thank you BITD!

20. Ryan_P

Ryan_P Well-Known Member

I wasn't happy with the two race format or running less miles, but that's just the way it is sometimes. I personally would not have raced if all 325 cars were smashed in a 92 mile lap course. Do the math; that is 3 cars every mile. F that! You want to talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

Casey and Mad Media did a great job within the limitations that were presented. I look forward to next year if the BLM allows.