1. Forum membership has its advantages....

XR650L Carb Problems (need advice)

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by Boston Mangler, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler Member

Hey Guys

I got a 2006 XR650L that i just desmogged, uni-air filtered, and installed a carb with the mods listed below.

I have the carb setup at: 55/158 jets, mix screw 2 1/4 out, needle shimmed .010. Most other folks say that this is the perfect setup for the L at sea level.

My bike is running rich still and seems to be getting way too much fuel. After a good hard ride, i will get some fuel seepage from the carb vent as well.

One of the guys on the 600/650 section mentioned that i might have "bumped" the floats and thats causing it to flood which would explain how its running. Anyone have any experience with this care to elaborate on how i can tell if i bumped my floats and if so, how to fix em?

My friend that i ride with also says i am puffing a little smoke on Decel

Any advice would be great!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Chase 2

Chase 2 Well-Known Member

puffing smoke on deceleration can be an indication of valve guides, which wouldn't help jetting woes.

3. Moss2

Moss2 Active Member

That sounds like extremely lean jetting to me compared to what we used to run in the 600 and 628's. I think you have other problems. Try a new needle and seat(fuel inlet) and reset the float level. Also pull out the emulsifiers and make sure it is all perfectly clean. I think jets should be up in the 68/170 range or more if you have it opened up with exhaust etc.

Ken

Edit. Go to the dealer and order a factory service manual. It will explain how to set the floats etc. Stay away from Chiltons get the factory one.

4. Moss2

Moss2 Active Member

Oops I mistakenly assumed that they had a carb similar to an XR600. I still dont see how they get enough fuel with that jetting. I would look for a 600 carb or Edelbrock to make tuning easier.

5. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler Member

Thanks Guys

I have the factory service manual and see no mention of how to set the float.

Also, all of the reasearch i have done online raves about the current setup i have (jets, desmogged, uncorked, etc.....)

Its definitely NOT lean! :D that much i know!