You can't "harm" an open OHV area can you?

Discussion in 'Save the Desert' started by Ol' Curmudgeon, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

2. Bro_Gill

Bro_Gill Well-Known Member

Total joke. Whe we were doing the WEMO plan, the BLM Biologists came up with a plan they called M.A.D.. In all intents, it was absolutely mad, as in crazy. M.A.D. stood for Make A Difference. The lead tortoise biologist came up with the idea to shut down OHV use on the most impacted, most disturbed pieces of land and 'preserve' them with the hope that the tortoises would recover on these parcels and that would make the biggest change in their recovery process. I objected as I felt the proper way to do this would be to preserve the most undisturbed parcels for tortoise habitat sense they did come with land already torn up. The other biologist told me that my idea would be considered the normal path to protection, but that plan would not eliminate the most OHV use. It isn't about the tortoises, it is about getting us to change our life styles. There are so many tortoises that were found on the Bright Source site (about 5 times the expected amount by the biologists) that they literally don't know what to do with all of them. Last count they were spending almost 300,000 dollars on each tortoise found on the site to house them, then relocate them. How many biologists are going to get paid for life off this job?
  3. sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

$300K per tortoise? I'd love to see that itemized bill breakdown!!!
  4. coilover88

coilover88 Active Member

Wishful thinking I know, but come January when we get a new Secretary of the Interior, alot of this nonsense will change or come to an end.
  5. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

Hate to burst your bubble, Grant, but the latest USFS/BLM roadless iniatives were begun during the second GWB administation.

The march against rural living and recreation continues, no matter if WH is red or blue, or pink or green.